"Getting Possessive" - March 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
M and M

Post by M and M »

Hey, wait a minute. One lovely theory deserves an airing, though apparently wrong.

Five occupations.
Judge
Teacher
Writer
Doctor
Baker

And five organizations named in the puzzle

ABA is the American Bar Association - the judge
NEA - National Education Association - the national teachers union
PEN - the international writers association
CIA - the Culinary Institute of America - the baker

And wait for it, my proudest moment,
DOCTOR Julius Erving, the great dunker, in the NBA. The clue for NBA even said organization for DUNKERS!

I was so sure. I was so wrong.

I still say these are just the kind of clues Matt would set up, and I found them, and I can't believe it's just chance that they were all five in there and such a beautiful fit. But nonetheless, only rabbits live at that address.

No sour grapes here - we couldn't make this work so we figured out the right answer and submitted, but my answer was so beautiful I couldn't let it go without its moment of glory. I mean, the Doc thing is kinda cool, right?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Inca wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:20 am Whether I liked the meta or not, congrats to all who amazingly solved it correctly...and so many did. Some in as little as 15 minutes! Actually, I realized that many of the muggle members are very experienced mugglers. While I am here from the start, they have left me in the dust. That's why I have been spending less time on the metas. The puzzles seem to have gotten more intricate and my mind hasn't progressed along with them...
I'm right there in the same boat with you. For the first few years I was about 50/50 on the metas, but the last couple of years I haven't even been doing that well. Not giving up, though.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

This week is spring break so we are not having chorus rehearsal. We are at the lake all week and I'm already worn out from work. House guests arriving this afternoon. Depending on what time I can get supper ready, I might be able to join in the zoom tonight before it's over. We'll see.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Inca wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:20 am Whether I liked the meta or not, congrats to all who amazingly solved it correctly...and so many did. Some in as little as 15 minutes! Actually, I realized that many of the muggle members are very experienced mugglers. While I am here from the start, they have left me in the dust. That's why I have been spending less time on the metas. The puzzles seem to have gotten more intricate and my mind hasn't progressed along with them...
I believe your talents may have been redirected to Octordle -- which I tried once, and then promptly ran back to the safe arms of Quordle. :D
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

M and M wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:05 am Hey, wait a minute. One lovely theory deserves an airing, though apparently wrong.

Five occupations.
Judge
Teacher
Writer
Doctor
Baker

And five organizations named in the puzzle

ABA is the American Bar Association - the judge
NEA - National Education Association - the national teachers union
PEN - the international writers association
CIA - the Culinary Institute of America - the baker

And wait for it, my proudest moment,
DOCTOR Julius Erving, the great dunker, in the NBA. The clue for NBA even said organization for DUNKERS!

I was so sure. I was so wrong.

I still say these are just the kind of clues Matt would set up, and I found them, and I can't believe it's just chance that they were all five in there and such a beautiful fit. But nonetheless, only rabbits live at that address.

No sour grapes here - we couldn't make this work so we figured out the right answer and submitted, but my answer was so beautiful I couldn't let it go without its moment of glory. I mean, the Doc thing is kinda cool, right?
I too started going down this rabbit hole until I hit a brick wall. After some noodling (and slight nudging), I suddenly saw those first word tipoffs...Teacher's Pet, Baker's Dozen, Judge's Chambers...a-ha! Still took me far too long though.
woozy

Post by woozy »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:44 am
I'm right there in the same boat with you. For the first few years I was about 50/50 on the metas, but the last couple of years I haven't even been doing that well. Not giving up, though.
I think the exact opposite. In the past we had to find paths of checkers moves or a 50 letter stream of trees boggle liked hidden as a snake, or recognizing references to monopoly places. My rate two years ago was ago 50% and usually took me a day or two days, often not getting it until Sunday afternoon. Now they are nearly always find a similarity in clues and spell something out. My success rate is about 95% and I'm very frustrated and astounded when I don't see what to do in the first hour.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I liked the puzzle. But then, I recently found my old membership packet to the Kiss Army. And since Al's posting parade pics, here's me as Peter Criss in a school Halloween parade back in...the past.
Attachments
petercriss.jpg
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Hi all just back on the grid. Worked on this one as we taxied out. I was so engrossed in rabbit holes I did not notice we had taken off!!! Went to sleep and when I woke up as we approached Doha there it was neat as a pin. Count me very late to shore. I really enjoyed this one.

The association rabbit hole described above was my first one
I’m sure others described finding patient and agent to go with doctor and writer respectively. That one ended as well.

Stay well all