"It's What I Do!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Al Sisti

"It's What I Do!"

Post by Al Sisti »

Good morning Muggles, and welcome to Muggle Meta Monday!

This week’s meta is called “It’s What I Do!” The answer has two parts, and together, they bring the rating to about a week 2.5. Please PM me your solution by 10 PM on Saturday, and as has become the custom, I’ll post a couple snapshots of a leaderboard during the week. Feel free to PM me for nudges, but try to stick with it for a couple days first. If nothing else, there’s always Nudge Wednesday.

One correct solver will be chosen at random and will receive an item of his/her choice from my swag bag (a Blarney Rebel Band CD, a Utica Club keepsake, or a $15 donation to a charity of your choice).

The answer to this meta is a) a famous villain and b) his fitting accomplice (you’ll know when you’ve found the accomplice because it will anagram to what he represents). Ready? Get to work!!

It's What I Do! - PUZ

It's What I Do! - PDF

It's What I Do! - spreadsheet

jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Hey Al
In response to 25A - Better Dead than Red.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Half-off the couch... but satisfied with that much. 8-)

Two potential paths for the other part... actually two incomplete lists, but one more promising than the other.

[edited: Now officially off the couch -- Thanks, Al! Fun puz!]
Last edited by Darth on Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I suspect the answer is a) Al Sisti, and b) his test solver. :)
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

I’m certain I have half of it but stumped on the second half…
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Dannyvee wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:17 am I’m certain I have half of it but stumped on the second half…
I'm sure you do have the first part. I suspect I may need to give a nudge before Wednesday.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

... to that end, if you guys do feel you have Part a, PM me with that and I'll give you the nudge for Part b.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:32 am ... to that end, if you guys do feel you have Part a, PM me with that and I'll give you the nudge for Part b.
Uh.... what about vice versa?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Ok, per Al I have the b part. Working on the villain. Lots of rabbit holes.
Edit: Al says I’m off the couch! I think I’ll reserve comment for a bit. Gonna wash the dog.
That puppy has the softest fur!! Anyway, I spent way too much time googling unnecessarily. But, it’s good to learn new things! Thanks, Al for the fun.
Last edited by Meg on Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Three quarters of the way there. (Although.... if you have one you contextually have the other, don't you? After all they were a team...? Oh never mind..... EDIT: Oh! I get it.... except I don't....).

I got one and I'm pretty dang sure what to do for the second... but I just can't get it to work.

EDIT: Got it to work.
Last edited by woozy on Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch!

With the help of Al’s nudge.

Myself, I found this one to be a load of fun (thanks, Al!), even with my various stages of befuddlement along the way.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Got to the doorstep but couldn’t make it in without a nudge from Al. Al’s brilliant clue writing combined with a great meta idea—what could be better?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Yanked off the couch after getting step one. Terrific puzzle with great clueing as always.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:41 pm Yanked off the couch after getting step one. Terrific puzzle with great clueing as always.
I'm already having to apologize for the clue for 66D. And I do. Sometimes the things that pop into my head should stay there.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:55 pm
boharr wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:41 pm Yanked off the couch after getting step one. Terrific puzzle with great clueing as always.
I'm already having to apologize for the clue for 66D. And I do. Sometimes the things that pop into my head should stay there.
I love that clue!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Me too! I laughed my head off.

But hey now, no spoiler alert for 13D???

Half-way off the couch, PM sent.
dog-sleeping-on-ground-and-couch-funny-2.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Stuck in probably the same half-on, half-off limbo as others. If I have one right, I probably have both, but I won't submit until I understand why!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A fun puzzle! What's really strange is that we were just discussing this villain on Sunday ...
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch!
Unfamiliar with the villain, ignoramus that I am, but with constuctor's criticism I figured it out.
Good puzzle and meta idea.
Thanks!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

With the nudge from Al after I got part a, I am off the couch.