"It's What I Do!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

With some much appreciated help I'm finally off the couch, out of the rabbit hole, and anticipating a much, much better view of the parade --

Captureballoon.PNG

I was just having 38A, 15A, 33A (-D.)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Thursday AM leaderboard additions:

16 KayW
17 JeanneC
18 Cap'n Rick
19 hcbirker
20 whimsy
21 Laura M
...with several more just on the horizon.
rjy

Post by rjy »

I needed just the first nudge to get part A, but the subsequent nudges aren't quite getting me to B. I can guess at it, as I'm sure many can, but that doesn't seem the satisfying approach.

WSJ approaching at 4 and I'm still on the sidelines with MMM, MOAT and MEOW... yikes!
Ray
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

rjy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:49 am I needed just the first nudge to get part A, but the subsequent nudges aren't quite getting me to B. I can guess at it, as I'm sure many can, but that doesn't seem the satisfying approach.

WSJ approaching at 4 and I'm still on the sidelines with MMM, MOAT and MEOW... yikes!
Pretty much the same here. Looks like a zero-fer week.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I finally got the answer, but ONLY because what Al does is patiently drop bread crumbs for those who are hopelessly lost. I really, really like this meta even though I really, really did not solve it.

Off the couch in any case.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Think we have solved. Needed ALL the nudges and a little time.
Thanks for the fun puzzle @Al Sisti!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:25 pm Think we have solved. Needed ALL the nudges and a little time.
Hopefully you found it worth the time and effort...
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:29 pm
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:25 pm Think we have solved. Needed ALL the nudges and a little time.
Hopefully you found it worth the time and effort...
Most definitely!!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well submitted, and fairly sure of Part A, Part B was an "informed approximation" (very nice way to say GUESS). Now I'll wait to hear from the Grand Marshal.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Finally, all the way off the couch.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Off the couch but should probably go back to bed :-) I got both pieces with all the nudges and a well-aimed shove, but still managed to entirely miss how part B was "fitting"! I never seem to learn that if I think one of @Al Sisti's puzzles doesn't quite make sense, that just means that there's something I missed... Anyway, a very well-done puzzle. Thanks, Al, and enjoy the festivities!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Busy day, so haven't had a chance to say that I am off the couch, with some friendly guidance from Al! Nice puzzle in which everything came together in the end.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oSO, I got Part A, but my informed guess was apparently quite uninformed. No idea, even with the nudges. No matter, I haven't solved anyhting else this week either.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:29 am oSO, I got Part A, but my informed guess was apparently quite uninformed. No idea, even with the nudges. No matter, I haven't solved anyhting else this week either.
Same here. I got part A and have all the right things for part B per Al correcting a few things I got wrong, but I still don't see an answer. I liked the puzzle itself, but not putting any more time into Part B.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Part B is subtle. But it's definitely doable. It's a common mechanism that's been done many times (including... well that would be telling). There are two things that make it slightly different. the mechanism points to a bit of the puzzle piece by piece, but the cypher is not in the commonly used part of the bit; it's in a slightly less commonly used part of the bit, and the answer is not really in the form you think it is, that is it is not a name.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Still struggling, even with DM hints from Al and all the nudges. What the what? (Al says I have part B — “the hard part” — and I’m not sure how these recent nudges apply to the way I found that. Part A, no idea.

Update: out of the woods, but not even sure which answer is which, but I’m done!
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:29 am oSO, I got Part A, but my informed guess was apparently quite uninformed. No idea, even with the nudges. No matter, I haven't solved anyhting else this week either.
Uninformed, possibly. But the "uniformed" answer you suggested cracked me up. I need to see that one!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally off the couch. Needed nudges and discussing with a fellow muggle. Really is a very clever puzzle. Needed Google to confirm part b since I am not really familiar with many villains.

Thanks, Al!!
Cindy Heisler
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Few more solvers, and some more frustratingly close:

22 lbray53
23 Bird Lives
24 TeamDoubleTow
25 benchen71
26 FrankieHeck
27 BarbaraK
28 Cinny 
woozy

Post by woozy »

When I suggested my solution for part B, I suggested it as a joke thinking it was an odd coincidence. To my surprise it was correct..

If you are struggling with B I suggest: You figured out A. The themers are "the same but different" elsewhere. You probably found them but can't get them to spell anything meaningful. Fine. Take a step back. Think about the answer to A). If you are like me you probably had to google it. Think about what he does. Think about the logistics about how that would actually work in real life (well, it wouldn't, but suspend *some* disbelief-- just not all) and who else would have to be involved (without credit and never mentioned) who could be a "fitting accomplice"...

Now jam and force that answer into the Themers.... It can be done.

As the themers are "the same but different" there are likely the same number of them...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.