#718 - “One Fluid Motion”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Clever Matt! I beamed up after quitting trying to make something work that wasn’t there.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh WONDERFUL, befuddled by a week 1. ACK!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
stmv

Post by stmv »

Another late start due to my traveling and time change. I agree that this seems hard for a Week 1, but I was eventually able to figure out what was going on and get to the right solution, and now I'm happily on the leaderboard.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Waiting for the tractor beam, but 100% confident. Great puzzle!

Edit: Beamed up at #159.

Second edit: I'm now #165. I guess that means a second possible answer has been accepted?
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Koobah and too-too! (Something my brother used to say, meaning: “Neato!”)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:59 pm
docison wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:40 pm
Cap'n Rick wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:39 pm I just recently joined. I think I got this one, but I'm not sure. How often is the leaderboard updated?
On Friday afternoons, pretty regularly, unless Matt or Ada is sick. As it gets further past the contest opening, every hour or two.
Ah, I see what I did (or didn't do...) Another "duh" moment. Thanks!
Looks like you're on the leaderboard now at #30. If it was an obvious mistake - a typo or putting the answer in the comment instead of the right place or something, Matt probably saw that and gave you credit.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I tried doing it with no instructions and down clues only but was unsuccessful. Once I solved it, I agree with the others who felt it was more difficult than the typical week 1.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up with boosters. I agree that this is a SAD and more difficult than a week 1.
burghman

Post by burghman »

Loved this one. Maybe it’s one of those “either you see it or you don’t” puzzles, but it was right inline with a week 1, maybe 1.5, for me.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
Joe

Post by Joe »

What the hell? I have absolutely nothing.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
woozy

Post by woozy »

burghman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:16 pm Loved this one. Maybe it’s one of those “either you see it or you don’t” puzzles, but it was right inline with a week 1, maybe 1.5, for me.

I'm going to say it isn't only of those either you see it or you don't. You have to work it out but it's clear and forward on working it out. One nice thing is if you do it wrong you can catch yourself and correct yourself. (Details later).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I believe I have beamed. Tricky for a week one.
Heidi
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

This doesn’t seem like a Week 1 to me so far. I haven’t been solo solving much the last couple weeks. I was looking forward to my Week 1 confidence boost. Sadly, that may not happen. :roll:
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Oh ok, it just dawned on me. Not a Week 1, in my opinion. But not too tricky, after all.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Ok, I’ve got it and am submitting my answer. Pretty sure I’m correct, but I’ve been here before. Will confirm if I’m beamed up (or left behind).

Edit: confirmed - I now have a streak of 1 in a row!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:07 pm
Cap'n Rick wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:59 pm
docison wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:40 pm

On Friday afternoons, pretty regularly, unless Matt or Ada is sick. As it gets further past the contest opening, every hour or two.
Ah, I see what I did (or didn't do...) Another "duh" moment. Thanks!
Looks like you're on the leaderboard now at #30. If it was an obvious mistake - a typo or putting the answer in the comment instead of the right place or something, Matt probably saw that and gave you credit.
Holy cow! I am on the leaderboard! Very generous of Matt to accept my answer. I appreciate it!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Late start; quick work, and fun. Beam away.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wow, there was a lot of other related and distracting stuff going on in that grid! But I think I've figured it out anyway.
On the leaderboard: YES!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up! That was fun.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Solve this one earlier today, #164 on the leaderboard. Surprised at all the comments that this seems tough for a week 1 because I twigged to the mechanism right off and I’m usually pretty oblivious to trickery.

Steven McKinney