Pent-Up Aggression - March 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:33 pm Never hear of him? them? it? (Now I see why people list their pronouns.)
Thus "Musical Act."
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:33 pm Got it quickly thanks to Google.
I got an alternate answer (two actually) from my search. (And learned something in the process.) But, dissatisfied by it (them), then I pulled the correct answer out of my memory banks. Your success with Google will depend on the query you enter.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

On the board!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

HunterX wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:15 am
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:33 pm Never hear of him? them? it? (Now I see why people list their pronouns.)
Thus "Musical Act."
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:33 pm Got it quickly thanks to Google.
I got an alternate answer (two actually) from my search. (And learned something in the process.) But, dissatisfied by it (them), then I pulled the correct answer out of my memory banks. Your success with Google will depend on the query you enter.
[edited by Moderator: saying you need to Google is ok. Instructing someone on which phrases to put in Google search bar—not ok]
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I enjoyed the grid. It was difficult and took me quite a while because there was a lot of stuff I don't know. But with crosses and the occasional intelligent guess, I was able to get the whole thing filled correctly. (I checked the things I was unsure of after I finished, as I always do with metas in case something there is part of the mechanism.)

As for the meta, since it's just March, it's meant to be pretty easy. But comments here led me to suspect that it's something I've never heard of and extensive googling would be required. Yuk.

So I did just a bit of googling, found something that seemed reasonable and better than the others, and submitted it. I see I'm on the board, so apparently that was right. Unless there's another step or layer that I missed, this is not my favorite of Pete's puzzles.

The good news is that with the MMMM, there's usually one each year I'm not crazy about. Since that one came early this year, I expect to love the rest:)

P.S. Since @Bob cruise director always gets a kick out of seeing the Beth's arriving on the WSJ shore close together, I was amused to see that AZBarb (whom I've never heard of before) and I landed right next to each other on the MMMM leaderboard, 3 minutes apart.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Submitted, but not on the board (yet?). I was pretty sure that I finally got it, but I think usually the board updates almost immediately, and it's been a few minutes... I'll know for sure when I see another name added that's not mine, so far it's holding at 175 with @BarbaraK as the most recent.

Edit: Yep, I'm not there. I really thought that had to be it, I'll be interested to see what the correct answer is.

Edit 2: Yay I got it after all! Not entirely sure what happened, but some combination of me getting time zones wrong. and my browser not refreshing despite clicking that button, made me think that there had been an update well after my submission when in fact it was before. That was a journey :-)

Also wanted to say that I enjoyed the grid a lot!
Last edited by Laura M on Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I finished the grid with difficulty. I saw what I suppose I'm supposed to see, I guess, but it meant nothing to me. Checked here and it seems research may be required. I'll try to get to it later...
rjy

Post by rjy »

Submitted, awaiting confirmation, but it's a 100% answer. Fortunately I have several CDs (remember those?) in my collection so the answer was not at all unfamiliar.
Ray
MMe

Post by MMe »

Here's a cheer to encourage being a little less spoilery here.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Found something on Google that seemed very reasonable given the theme. I guess it was wrong. Not sure what I should have been Googling for instead.
burghman

Post by burghman »

I had to google, but when I saw one of the results I had a minor head/desk moment. I’ve seen this act in person and also have some CDs of theirs. No updates to the leaderboard since just after 11AM today so it seems several of us are going to be on the edge of our seats for awhile… unless everyone after 11:10 AM is wrong? Sure hope not, as it seemed 100%.

ETA - confirmed at 198ish
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the board with much googling and a nudge in the right direction. Never heard of this musical act.
Cindy Heisler
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On the board.

I am familiar with, and a fan of, the musical act. I agree that the grid had a tough spot or two and I learned a new phrase.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ohhhhhh, I just understood what so many of you already saw for the red herring last month. (Still not going to submit it yet though!)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Let’s be cautious on spoilers. It should be apparent by now that the answer is not as familiar as The Beatles. But whether a poster is familiar with it (or not) is not really relevant.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Abide wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:18 pm Let’s be cautious on spoilers. It should be apparent by now that the answer is not as familiar as The Beatles. But whether a poster is familiar with it (or not) is not really relevant.
Who are these "Beatles" of which you speak?
Joe

Post by Joe »

I've got the things, but I don't know what to do with them.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
jbird

Post by jbird »

Joe wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:29 pm I've got the things, but I don't know what to do with them.
I’m in the same boat
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Got it, thanks to google!
vandono

Post by vandono »

I agree this grid was pretty tough. There were a few where I felt I had something completely wrong and a few I had to Google.

I had a guess on the meta because of some of the grid answers and title; once I saw the mechanism I was pretty sure it was right. I remembered the act but couldn't quite placed any work. Most of my music comes from the best musical era ever, of course.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:34 am
Abide wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:18 pm Let’s be cautious on spoilers. It should be apparent by now that the answer is not as familiar as The Beatles. But whether a poster is familiar with it (or not) is not really relevant.
Who are these "Beatles" of which you speak?
Regional act. Never quite broke out. They love ‘em in Liverpool.