Pent-Up Aggression - March 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Joe Ross

Pent-Up Aggression - March 2022

Post by Joe Ross »

2022 Puzzle 3: “Pent-Up Aggression”

Here’s contest puzzle #3.

Solve using the Crossword Compiler applet, download a PDF, or use Across Lite.

The meta is a musical act.

Submit your answer to the meta using the form on the home page.

Pent Up Aggression by Pete Muller
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm on the board at #18. I found both the grid and the meta harder than I was expecting for month 3, and getting the meta required me to spend some time doing something else to let my subconscious work on it, and then *poof* there it was.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On board at 48.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Hmmm... I get the mechanism/metanism, and I have an answer, but only thanks to searching for what I thought might fit. But it's not a "musical act" I had heard of. So I'm doubting my answer and not submitting yet.

Will be interested to see what others say here.
jbird

Post by jbird »

What is the definition of a "musical act"? As opposed to a band or musical group?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Beamed up at # 53
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Can't even finish the grid! Pete is pissed off at something....
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:18 pm Can't even finish the grid! Pete is pissed off at something....
I took a couple of years off of doing the MMMM because I always have to search for so many answers online. I came back this year and will stick it out to the bitter end, but it does get tiring having to search for answers to SO MANY clues. I don't listen to a lot of music and most of what I do listen to is 40-50 years old.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:18 pm Can't even finish the grid! Pete is pissed off at something....
This is a specific type of grid that I always find annoying, even when I've finished it (like this one).

But maybe it's just me. Your results may vary.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I have an answer, but not sure about it. Going to keep looking.
Heidi
boharr

Post by boharr »

On the board, but at the cost of this month's Google bill exceeding that of my electric bill.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On the board!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally figured it out, after finding out my first guess was wrong. A friendly muggle heard me out and my second try was much better.
Heidi
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

It was satisfying to finally finish the grid. It was so hard! Now I need to take a break and rest my brain before tackling the meta :lol:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HunterX wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:59 pm Hmmm... I get the mechanism/metanism, and I have an answer, but only thanks to searching for what I thought might fit. But it's not a "musical act" I had heard of. So I'm doubting my answer and not submitting yet.
A ha! The Googling (I don't actually use Google to search) led me to a musical act that was not (I'm guessing) the answer. Though it might constitute an alternate. But after some time away from it, then a little mulling it over, I somehow pulled what I believe is the answer out of my brain.

Not sure how much this one falls into the "You need sufficient familiarity with the answer to get it" category.

Edit: Confirmed - On the board.
Last edited by HunterX on Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

On shore. Grid definitely had its tough parts. Looking forward to that cover.
PaPuzzler

Post by PaPuzzler »

On the board. Greatly enjoyed this one (grid very difficult, but the meta was pretty clever) and definitely enjoy the "musical act". Also, looking forward to the cover.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nope, I got it wrong. That was disappointing.

Are we able to submit another answer?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
TMart

Post by TMart »

I somehow find myself on the leaderboard. Tough grid, neat meta, but I've never heard of this act, so wasn't really sure about submitting. I think I need to upgrade my playlist.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Never hear of him? them? it? (Now I see why people list their pronouns.) Got it quickly thanks to Google.
Jay