"Still Hungry" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Yes - castle-side of moat for me too. Forgot to post here. The grid was smooth for me, and though the answer wasn’t one I would have been able to come up with from memory, I am familiar with the character, and the name fits. Clever!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The castle has been stormed. The grid was a good challenge, but I am not familiar with the book character. You're a "meta machine", Ben.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :books: Very nice! And yes, I stubbornly had to try the first one first :roll:

I was not familiar with this book character.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Took me a while and I didn't notice I did not have all of the theme answers accounted for because I really did not know the character. Luckily Mr. Google did. Between this and the MEOW, Ben has managed to eat up my entire day.

What better reward than a bunch of hungry Koalas!
Eucalyptus.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:40 pm Took me a while and I didn't notice I did not have all of the theme answers accounted for because I really did not know the character. Luckily Mr. Google did. Between this and the MEOW, Ben has managed to eat up my entire day.

Love this!

We actually saw some koalas in the wild on our recent trip to Adelaide, sleeping their way through the day in the fork of a gum tree. It was really cool to see them, since they are rapidly approaching endangered status, mainly due to bushfires and deforestation.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nearly at the end of the second day, and we have 11 more solvers for a running total of 43:

Laura M
woozy
oldjudge
DJB
BarbaraK
LuckyGuest
Dave C
DrTom
Dow Jones
KayW
lbray53
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

No longer hungry... phew!
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Before I release the nudges, here are the additional solvers:

Tyrpmom
merlinnimue
dannyvee
maturin
Sfull411
Ergcat
rjy
Abide

bringing us to a total of 51.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The central entry provides the meta hint: "Additional helpings, and a hint for solving the meta".

2. Some of the entries in the grid don't quite match the way they have been clued.

3. The central entry reveals what is missing in these entries.

4. What might you do with these entries, given that central entry?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's been very quiet around here since the nudges, but there have been two more solvers on Crosshare:

Jack Sullivan
graham

for a grand total of 53. The answer will be revealed momentarily...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Hands up if you thought the answer was going to be OLIVER! In a puzzle with SECONDS across the middle, the answer was never going to be the first name you thought of, despite the fact that Oliver certainly uttered the words referenced in 10 across: "I want some MORE". Because there was another character from the literary world who also said those words...

i-want-some-more-kirsten-dunst.gif

Still Hungry (solution).png

That's Claudia from Anne Rice's "Interview With The Vampire", which was made into a movie starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, with Kirsten Dunst playing Claudia. Dunst was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the film. To be perfectly honest I have neither read the book nor seen the film! However, I well remember Claudia's line "I want some more" since it featured in the movie trailer. Given the verbal echo with Oliver, that was the seed for this meta.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well, I may have to take exception to the source for the answer.
Ben, you got it wrong. I mean, hey, you're only the constructor!
This is the book character you really want --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_( ... character)

And she too was made into a movie --
Captureclaudia.PNG
Why do I know this?
It was the inspiration for my mother's choice when I came along and needed a name a few years later! :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

whimsy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:32 pm Well, I may have to take exception to the source for the answer.

Captureclaudia.PNG

Why do I know this?
It was the inspiration for my mother's choice when I came along and needed a name a few years later! :D
If she says "I want some more" at some point, then sure! :D
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Oh, great! Now I have to go back and watch a bunch of sappy movies from the '40's! :D
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:40 pm Took me a while and I didn't notice I did not have all of the theme answers accounted for because I really did not know the character. Luckily Mr. Google did. Between this and the MEOW, Ben has managed to eat up my entire day.

Eucalyptus.jpg
Off topic but.... I don't get it. Why *IS* the restaurant named Eucalyptus?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:27 am

Eucalyptus.jpg
Off topic but.... I don't get it. Why *IS* the restaurant named Eucalyptus?
Oh, probably because restaurants love catchy names, however there IS a very famous Eucalyptus Restaurant in Jerusalem.

I don't know if it was the inspiration for that cartoon or not, I think the cartoonist just liked the irony.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:32 pm Well, I may have to take exception to the source for the answer.

Captureclaudia.PNG

Why do I know this?
I think Whimsy should be an acceptable alternate answer, who's with me on this!