Warren Piece

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:36 am Alice looking into rabbit hole smaller.jpg

Ahoy Muggles!

The meta answer is "ALICE", and a whopping 51 of you got it right!

As the title suggests, the first step involved searching for "warrens", otherwise known as "rabbit holes", or in this case rabbits and bunnies with "holes" in their names. The symmetrically-placed grid entries were:

CAD*BURY
FLO*PSY
RICO*CHET
HAR*VEY
JESS*ICA

Warren toons.JPG

The 2nd step involved finding alternate clues that could also apply to the rabbits and bunnies.

CADBURY - 42A They produce eggs - IBISES
FLOPSY - 24A Like a ragdoll - LIMP
RICOCHET - 52A Rebound - ECHO
HARVEY - 48D TV funny man Steve - CARELL
JESSICA - 8A Singer Simpson - ASHLEE

Arranging these alternate answers in grid order and selecting the first letters of each results in "ALICE" - a character who certainly had some experience with rabbit holes.

Answer Grid.JPG

As a funny coincidence, the day after I asked @boharr to pretest this puzzle back in January, @whimsy released her MEOW #58 meta - "Corner Count Off". The answer to her puzzle, of course, .."Rabbit Hole".

Thanks everyone for solving!

Smooth sailing!
Cap'n Rick
Nice writeup of an excellent meta. I enjoyed this one (maybe because I got it quickly). Just the right crunchiness level for me.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Something else I really like --
"Warren Piece" & Alice in Wonderland -- a couple of classics!
Captureclassicbunny.PNG