#717 - “Following a Pattern”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

I guess if I'm going to need to ask for a nudge now is the time.... sigh.... any nudges ... or an answer to a simple question.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm ship4u wrote: ↑Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:21 pm
"Thanks to muggles teaching me how to approach the metas, I think I am beginning to get the hang of it."
Oh, no! Never say things like that! The meta gods do not like such hubris. They may soon stick you in the world's deepest rabbit hole.

I personally don't have the hang of anything - hear that meta gods!
@BarbaraK You were correct (gasp)! I have stupidly incurred the wrath of the meta gods. My wife and I have been working on this for 2 days. I thought sure I was on the correct path right at the start, but I can't get the plane off the ground. As a matter of fact, I'm in such a deep rabbit hole, I may never get above ground.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Joe

Post by Joe »

I'm here to echo all of those who are seeing soooo many paths that just dry up. I can't land this one either. I may come back for a little nudge tomorrow, but for right now I'm just hoping for "post enlightenment."
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay... I got it with lots of friendly nudges. Thank you all.

But I'm going to be the grouch to say I really disliked this one. A lot.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

ship4u wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:49 am
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm ship4u wrote: ↑Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:21 pm
"Thanks to muggles teaching me how to approach the metas, I think I am beginning to get the hang of it."
Oh, no! Never say things like that! The meta gods do not like such hubris. They may soon stick you in the world's deepest rabbit hole.

I personally don't have the hang of anything - hear that meta gods!
@BarbaraK You were correct (gasp)! I have stupidly incurred the wrath of the meta gods. My wife and I have been working on this for 2 days. I thought sure I was on the correct path right at the start, but I can't get the plane off the ground. As a matter of fact, I'm in such a deep rabbit hole, I may never get above ground.

I'm sorry! Now that you've seen the error of your ways and made your public atonement, they may forgive you and let you out of the penalty box. Hope you get a stroke of post enlightenment.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Ok, was onto something but needed a bit of guidance to bring it home. Not confirmed but confident.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

After being tormented by the meta gods for forgetting humility this past Friday, I was finally released after several mea culpas. Then, thanks to a muggle friend who took pity on my pathetic condition, I was nursed back to meet the challange and solve the meta.
Lesson learned. :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Barney

Post by Barney »

woozy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:36 am I guess if I'm going to need to ask for a nudge now is the time.... sigh.... any nudges ... or an answer to a simple question.
“See some stuff with no idea what to do with it” is not grounds for a nudge request, in my case.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We are looking for a nudge but only have rabbit holes that lead exactly no where.

Editing to add... Solved now thanks to some fabulous dragging... Hoping to beam up soon.
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

HELP!!

I have solved but cannot submit. The email gives me the links to download the puzzle but I can no longer see the place to submit. I also tried to access it through Patreon without success. Can anyone shed some light on that?

I suppose I could send an email to Matt, but if he is not feeling well I hate to bother him.

It is a 100% answer, even though it took me WAY too long to stumble across the mechanism. Great aha moment once I set up my notes the right way. Great title. Great cluing. Iiked the mechanism. Even when I figured out what to do it took a bit of effort. There were some "close but not quite right" things in the grid.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

As sometimes gets mentioned on here, asking the community-at-large for a nudge risks one of either

No one responding, because everyone assumes that someone else has already nudged you; or

Twelve responses, from twelve independently generous people, who all took a few minutes to send along assistance that might not be needed any more.

I don't have any brilliant solutions, other than to recommend that nudge-askers please acknowledge nudges received.

PS: I have a nudge on offer for this puzzle, thanks to an extremely helpful and generous member of the community.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

lbray53 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:53 pm HELP!!

I have solved but cannot submit.

Can anyone shed some light on that?
https://xwordcontest.com/
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:10 pm
lbray53 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:53 pm HELP!!

I have solved but cannot submit.

Can anyone shed some light on that?
https://xwordcontest.com/
Thanks Joe!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Stared at the grid for a long time Friday but nothing clicked. Looked at it with fresh eyes today and, after a couple of false starts, I got there. I suppose I am waiting for confirmation, but I am confident in my solution.

Steven McKinney
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Thanks to a gentle nudge by @HoldThatThought, I found the correct corridor to the transporter and am ready to be beamed up.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Editing... Double post... See below with better coding.
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Man, I love it when that happens. Almost immediately, I saw the thing. But I didn't know what to do with the thing. So I tried a whole bunch of other things. And finally I figured out the whole thing. I am waiting to be beamed aboard!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ship4u wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:43 pm After being tormented by the meta gods for forgetting humility this past Friday, I was finally released after several mea culpas. Then, thanks to a muggle friend who took pity on my pathetic condition, I was nursed back to meet the challange and solve the meta.
Lesson learned. :)
Meta culpas? :lol:
Heidi
TMart

Post by TMart »

Waiting for the transporter, but pretty sure I got it.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Beam me up…. Waiting for refresh of board, but it’s a lock.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D