"Happy Together" - February 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Puzzle mom

Post by Puzzle mom »

If I stare at this grid long enough will the answer just pop out?
Attachments
29935DDA-8DDA-4856-BCD7-01D7C8F59A19.jpeg
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

On shore. This meta did not come easily for me. I'm not even sure why. In hindsight, it's not that hard! However, it is a great Gaffney puzzle with a solid answer - my favorite kind. Thanks to @BarbaraK for the help! I'm not sure I feel *****. Sorry, Matt. ;)
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Capturemwb.PNG
"Psssst!
Try @MikeyG's newest Pun of a Kind meta that just came out today.
I'm sure you'll be very Happy Together."
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Busy week. Almost forgot about the Meta.
On shore.
But now I've got two ear-worms: Pharrell William's Happy in one ear

and Coldplay's Viva La Vida

in the other. Summed up, they are Happy Together.

And to top it off, I can't stop thinking about Epicurus.
Ouzo for me, please.
Last edited by FKelly on Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore after sleep-induced inspiration around 1 am. Again, making things harder than they need to be. No nudges needed this time.

Kevin
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

John77 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:01 pm
rosiegirl wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:36 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:30 am Does anyone else have this song stuck in their heads? Gotta love the French horn player . . .

Thought of The Turtles immediately as they (well, at least two of them) lived in my area when I was growing up . Just couldn't figure out how 'turtles' could be turned into a 5 letter word!
Long ago I was told that Flo and Eddie wrote this one as a joke, and were a bit surprised at its commercial success. Fact check, please?
I heard that about their song "Elenore," with the lyrics: "Elenore, gee I think you're swell/And you really do me well/You're my pride and joy et cetera."
Janet

Post by Janet »

Muggle Janet reporting ashore!
TheDeej

Post by TheDeej »

Typical late start this morning. I admire the construction and the "click" was rather satisfying. Thanks, Matt!

Ashore! Barkeep! Anything frothy and cold is fine with me this morning. But a Guinness would be preferred.
Puzzle mom

Post by Puzzle mom »

I am finally ashore!
That was exhausting. I chased so many rabbits when I close my eyes all I see are letters and fluffy tails.
I’ll have a hot chocolate please.
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

I’ve done everything. Looked. Went away. Looked again. Went and had coffee. Looked more. Went to bed. Had an idea and pinned it before falling asleep. Woke up to go “nope!”

Send help.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Finally on the shore.
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

On shore! Thanks to the nudge that helped me see it differently!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

At the moment still at sea. But haven't had much time this weekend to engage. Later today hopefully enlightenment will come. This is one where when you look at it you say "This should be very gettable". But haven't gotten it yet!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

*Happy* to be *Together* with all you muggles on shore. Double-teamed it with a muggle friend/co-worker and am now sitting pretty on my (snow) beach with a hearty Stout, stoking the fires under our annual maple sap boil. Good luck all!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles
We have had a steady progression to the sunny warm shore and now have 11 with Isaac and 200 on the shore

New to the warm ship's bar are
mattythewsjpuzzler
KFB

While making their way to the shore are
michaelm
rosiegirl
patpatchica
mlvilv
Fred
cinny
Janet
Ann
Limerick
Isw
TheDeej
aaugusti
Puzzle mom
cbarbee
auee89
Henry Paul
ImOnToo
hunkra

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
John77

Post by John77 »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:51 am
John77 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:01 pm
rosiegirl wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Thought of The Turtles immediately as they (well, at least two of them) lived in my area when I was growing up . Just couldn't figure out how 'turtles' could be turned into a 5 letter word!
Long ago I was told that Flo and Eddie wrote this one as a joke, and were a bit surprised at its commercial success. Fact check, please?
I heard that about their song "Elenore," with the lyrics: "Elenore, gee I think you're swell/And you really do me well/You're my pride and joy et cetera."
“Your looks intoxicate me
Even though your folks hate me…”

And Dylan won the Nobel??? Go figure.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore.

(I've been leaving the meta solve until later in the weekend in case I can't get it. Then I don't ruin 3+ days. 😜)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Puzzle mom wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:48 pm If I stare at this grid long enough will the answer just pop out?
Love it! Wish I could see some of the harder metas as easily as I saw the image hidden in that Magic Eye.

Curious why it was so easy for me to see the hidden 3D image. I remember back in the mid-80's when my wife and I were in grad school at CMU. She was in the School of Computer Science studying artificial intelligence vision, and one of her fellow PhD students would create and print up black-and-white autostereograms as a fun programming exercise. This was long before "Magic Eye" came out. I could "sort of" see the 3D images, but not well or easily. I guess now that my eyes aren't as good at focusing as they were ~35 years ago, these come more easily?
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On shore tho I was a heavy load today, had to be dragged by my muggle mentor. Very clever meta, as always
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Puzzle mom wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:48 pm If I stare at this grid long enough will the answer just pop out?
I used to be so good at "seeing" hidden images, but I cannot get this one. I used to just blur my vision and the image would pop out at me. Now that my vision is blurred naturally, I couldn't decide whether to use my glasses or not....but in both cases I have been unsuccesful! I may PM you to find out what I should be seeing!