#22 - "Gee, What Could I Have Been Thinking? ... Ohh!"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#22 - "Gee, What Could I Have Been Thinking? ... Ohh!"

Post by BrianMac »

No guidance is provided as to the answer of this week's PGWCC. See the puzzle instructions for an explanation.

Enjoy!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Tough grid, nice meta...
Hector

Post by Hector »

Always much to learn from pgw's grids. Meta went down without a fight.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Got it. Tough grid as always - lots of new medical and legal terms, needed some help from Dr. Google.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Another good one from Peter. Meta was a little tougher for me than the last two weeks so in some ways more rewarding.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:06 am Always much to learn from pgw's grids. Meta went down without a fight.
Yep, I always learn a lot from his grids, too. This one didn't seem as difficult as a lot of his, to me. And I'm pretty sure I got the meta, but it's a little hard to say, given the themelessness!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Good one! I'd say the meta is 100%. I had to Google to confirm probably 10 entries in the grid, but only had to fix one of them, so maybe I'm getting better at guessing. Gotta love the ones like 32D; why give a clue that every crossword solver will know when you can use an obscure (to me anyway) sports figure? (I kid, I kid because I love :-)
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I was in a very convincing rabbit hole. Actually pretty evil. Glad I got out of there.

Last week I had myself convinced the shapes were vital and did not see the other mountains because I was so focused on the shapes after I found Whitney following the Mountain shape.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:13 pm Last week I had myself convinced the shapes were vital and did not see the other mountains because I was so focused on the shapes after I found Whitney following the Mountain shape.
My problem exactly last week. Hopefully this week is better, provided I ever complete the grid.

-Matt
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Tough grid indeed.The meta helped me get a letter I wasn't figuring out, even with Mr. G's help.

I've submitted my answer, which seems solid. But is anyone else thinking that maybe they should have waited a bit?
Meg

Post by Meg »

I feel like I’ve run into this meta technique before, but that’s OK. It’s a 100%er.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm Tough grid indeed.The meta helped me get a letter I wasn't figuring out, even with Mr. G's help.

I've submitted my answer, which seems solid. But is anyone else thinking that maybe they should have waited a bit?
I haven't submitted yet. I mean, I clearly have 100% found an answer. But my doubting self is thinking, "yes, but what if there's another step, and his original puzzle was going to ask for a three-letter phrase that is something you might say if you drop your bowling ball in the litter box?" or some such thing...
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

FrankieHeck wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:27 pm I clearly have 100% found an answer. But my doubting self is thinking, "yes, but what if there's another step, and his original puzzle was going to ask for a three-letter phrase that is something you might say if you drop your bowling ball in the litter box?" or some such thing...
O.K., now I want to see a meta with that prompt!

But I'm pretty sure that PGW does give some non-obvious guidance, if you think about it.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:27 pm I clearly have 100% found an answer. But my doubting self is thinking, "yes, but what if there's another step, and his original puzzle was going to ask for a three-letter phrase that is something you might say if you drop your bowling ball in the litter box?" or some such thing...
O.K., now I want to see a meta with that prompt!

But I'm pretty sure that PGW does give some non-obvious guidance, if you think about it.
Oh dang, you're right haha. I guess I can submit it now. :D
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I did a few of his puzzles when they first came out, and wasn't all that thrilled with them, for some reason. The fill perhaps. Anyway, since I finished the MMMM, WSJCC and MGWCC, figured I would try again. At first I was put off by not having a prompt other than the title, but then I saw the light! (Heidi)
Heidi