#716 - “Taking Sides” by Matthew Stock

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

As with some others, step 1 was easy/obvious. Not so sure about step 2. Hmmm....

With a couple trees down that I have to clean up, and friends coming to visit, this may be a Monday plea for nudges.

But not yet.

Edit: Yeah, I have AN answer. But it's not 100%. May mull over for a bit.
Last edited by HunterX on Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:17 pm Seems good enuf get gummit werk, beem me upsy
That was it, it's more of a week two, keep at it.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
bottod

Post by bottod »

bottod wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:48 pm General question on proper forum etiquette. If I have an answer, but am hesitant to submit (like others today), is it bad form to:
a) ask a correct solver if mine is right; or
b) ask an incorrect solver if my answer is same as theirs?

Not looking for hints or confirmation just yet. Again, sitting for a moment and waiting out my hesitancy.

But in case I reach that level of desperation (when I?), want to know if either approach will have me shunned in the future. :)
Thanks to all for the replies. Will now feel at ease directly asking in the future but decided against it this week.

After waiting the night and looking again, didn't see better and went for it with some trepidation. First-time Streak of 10 was the reward! (not a solo effort for me, solving buddy spotted this week)
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I was very excited to see step one quickly. But, then I hit a wall. I have an idea but "no direction home" as @BobDylan would say.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I hit the same wall as many others. Saw the signs that pointed to home as I re-filled out the grid this morning, but seemed to get lost part of the way. I have what I think it has to be, but my logic has proved to be non-Vulcan MANY times over.

So I'll submit what I feel is the Stock answer :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:56 am As with some others, step 1 was easy/obvious. Not so sure about step 2. Hmmm....

Edit: Yeah, I have AN answer. But it's not 100%. May mull over for a bit.
I didn't mull it long. Figured I needed the rest of my weekend free. Submitted and was beamed up at #137.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed up. Saw something yesterday and then saw the rest this morning. Agree that I was a little nervous there might be more to it, but in the end the click seemed strong enough to give it a shot.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I find myself in the same boat as the rest. Guess I will submit since I don’t have a streak to defend LOL

Update - on the board. 😊
Last edited by Streroto on Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sneaking in at #154 - YES! My hesitancy was unfounded, but of course not at the time I had it. Ah for the gift of hindsight before it is hindsight...

So safe for another week, but lets see:
Week 1 = Week 1
Week 2 = Week 3 - 3.5
Week 3 = Week 2.5 - 3
Week 4? = Week "hang onto your seats folks, it's gonna be a bumpy ride" :( :o
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

bottod wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:52 am

After waiting the night and looking again, didn't see better and went for it with some trepidation. First-time Streak of 10 was the reward! (not a solo effort for me, solving buddy spotted this week)
Those badges are weird and inconsistant..

I just got the "all the puzzles in a month" for the first time yesterday. but as I only joined mid December and I missed week 5 of January that is impossible. I got the great minds think alike before I had ever submitted a wrong answer and although I had apparently began December with a week 2 (which I could have sworn I had started with a week 3) but I got the week two badge when I had completed a week one in January.

Oh well.

Also.... can't figure out what I'm supposed to do to get a "Love Letter" Badge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Beamed up. Didn't feel like a strong click, but went for it!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beamed with a nudge. Not an easy one for me to see.
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Finally have step one... So some progress
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We have an answer ish but would love to confer with someone before submitting

Editing to add... Conferred with a fellow Muggle and have submitted answer... Fingers crossed.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
TMart

Post by TMart »

I have somehow beamed up, spoiling my bid to miss four in a month. I love the construction on this one- it's got a "wow, that's pretty cool" vibe to it. Mechanism is a little different, and after a few years of doing these, different is good.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Submitted, despite some hesitancy, and was beamed up. Better late than never, I guess.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:04 pm
bottod wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:52 am

Those badges are weird and inconsistant..

I just got the "all the puzzles in a month" for the first time yesterday. but as I only joined mid December and I missed week 5 of January that is impossible. I got the great minds think alike before I had ever submitted a wrong answer and although I had apparently began December with a week 2 (which I could have sworn I had started with a week 3) but I got the week two badge when I had completed a week one in January.

Oh well.

Easy, deposit 10 Bitcoin in my account and I'll send you one....heck I'll send you one every day for a year! However, from Matt you have to send him a laudatory e-mail.
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:17 pm
Easy, deposit 10 Bitcoin in my account and I'll send you one....heck I'll send you one every day for a year! However, from Matt you have to send him a laudatory e-mail.
I meant I can't figure out how to successfully get a "Love Letter" Badge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:27 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:17 pm
I meant I can't figure out how to successfully get a "Love Letter" Badge.
Oh heck, and I had already started a letter:

"Dearest Woozy....."