#716 - “Taking Sides” by Matthew Stock

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

bottod wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:48 pm General question on proper forum etiquette. If I have an answer, but am hesitant to submit (like others today), is it bad form to:
a) ask a correct solver if mine is right; or
b) ask an incorrect solver if my answer is same as theirs?

Not looking for hints or confirmation just yet. Again, sitting for a moment and waiting out my hesitancy.

But in case I reach that level of desperation (when I?), want to know if either approach will have me shunned in the future. :)
Either action is perfectly acceptable, but Matt has stated that receiving ANY help whatsoever renders you ineligible for declaring a solo solve.
Thank you for asking. Not that we EVER shun people!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
mindle

Post by mindle »

On the board. I thought the answer had a pretty solid click, and I enjoyed this puzzle. I'll be curious to watch the discussion about why people weren't sure about their answers.
Happy weekend!
woozy

Post by woozy »

bottod wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:48 pm General question on proper forum etiquette. If I have an answer, but am hesitant to submit (like others today), is it bad form to:

Not looking for hints or confirmation just yet. Again, sitting for a moment and waiting out my hesitancy.

But in case I reach that level of desperation (when I?), want to know if either approach will have me shunned in the future. :)
My question is is it bad form for us to tell how confident we are in our answers as many of us have done.

At this point, I'd say those who haven't solved yet now know that the answer feels "ok" and "iffy" which in itself is information. Should we/I not have said as much as we/I did?

I don't think there is anything wrong in asking someone for confirmation but I think we need to accept that the person asked may feel reluctance giving it. I guess.....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MMe

Post by MMe »

The only thing it affects is your streak count, and your standards about that are up to you. To put it in context, most of the people with the longest rely on others when they can't solve the metas.
MMe

Post by MMe »

MMe wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:36 pm

The only thing it affects is your streak count, and your standards about that are up to you. To put it in context, most of the people with the longest streaks rely on others when they can't solve the metas.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:26 pm Wow, I'm right there with all of you who have an OK answer but are looking for more confirmation ... will wait to submit.
Sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the good, and sometimes the merely OK is good enough to preserve a badge. Go for it. The Other Wendy did. Or PM me.
Jay
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I have asked for a confirmation before submitting maybe 2 or 3 times over the last couple of years, when I had a streak to protect, and no one has balked at that (not that I could hear/see)... But the last TWO weeks I decided to risk it because others were saying they were dubious but going for it, so it made me feel brave too. There was a week when I was PRETTY sure and risked it, and it wasn't right... but because I could make a very valid argument I emailed with Matt and got on the board after all.

To @Woozy's point, I guess it's true that several folks saying they're submitting an unsure answer and then letting us all know how that turned out is somewhat helpful to the subsequent solvers... but then those "waiters" will be way down the board so there's that small consequence for hesitation.

If you're quick but unsure AND very brave, that's your opportunity to get a top placement! ;)
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:03 pm
.. but then those "waiters" will be way down the board so there's that small consequence for hesitation.

If you're quick but unsure AND very brave, that's your opportunity to get a top placement! ;)
I'm nowhere near the point of caring about my leaderboard placement (unless it's page 1 of the WSJ... that'd be nice...) but I may be eventually.

But where I am having a streak going is more important than anything. Apparently on the week 1 this month there were 10 or so people who submitted within the first minute.... That's brave.... but I wouldn't have done it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Beamed up! Yay!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Much easier than last week, but no solid "this is it" kind of reaction. Liked the first step. Beam me up!
Heidi
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Finally (I assume) beamed up after a distracting day and also just being really oblivious :-)
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

On the fence like a bunch of us... should I go for that solo solve or get confirmation? Step 1 is definitely solid. Step 2... not too sure.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

I got it and cannot believe I did! A rare week three for me! Made my day!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up... Seemed a solid click. Enjoyed it, Matthew!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Maybe I'll say: It was a solid click; but not a solid solve.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Seems good enuf get gummit werk, beem me upsy
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

definitely got step one, haven't found step 2 yet. Unless I get some free time on Monday this will probably be a DNF for me. From the sounds of it though I'm not missing much.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up, with a booster.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Submitted three hours ago just after an update. Fingers crossed.

Beam me up. The answer came to me in the middle of the night. I just needed to find a click. I found one but it was pretty faint and not exactly what I was hoping to find. I now understand some of the anxieties expressed in this thread.
Last edited by lbray53 on Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!