#716 - “Taking Sides” by Matthew Stock

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Beamed up yesterday. I can see why everyone was 80% on the answer. I always need a little nudge (thanks @DrTom ) when my OCD self doesn’t get a hard click answer with all the stars aligning to my satisfaction! ;)
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

Seemingly in the same boat as several folks here. Step 1 I see, but then I'm pretty lost on the next direction to take. Pretty fun grid, at least!
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I found step 0 during the solve and that set me back aways, finally got on the right track today and this might be my first week 3. Yay me.
Matt / Flamingbear
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Beamed up at #221, better late than never. I had a correct hunch based on what I have learned from fellow muggles, but I wasn't immediately sure how to put it to proper use. Thanks to a muggle friend, it came together!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beamed up at #264, thanks to a helpful nudge from DrTom.

Just to let everyone know: my response to Matt's "A City Of Puzzles" will come out as tomorrow's MOAT. Can't wait!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:03 pm Beamed up at #264, thanks to a helpful nudge from DrTom.

Just to let everyone know: my response to Matt's "A City Of Puzzles" will come out as tomorrow's MOAT. Can't wait!
Darn time zones....tomorrow is a MMM by your truly since it is Monday here. Ben's MOAT will be out the following day, Tuesday in the USA.

Ben, just because you get to spell things with more letters (colour, honour, Zed, etc) does not mean you get to change the calendar! :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Beamed up after a kind nudge to get me started. I get why people are wavering. But I also think it's pretty tight.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:26 pm
benchen71 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:03 pm Beamed up at #264, thanks to a helpful nudge from DrTom.

Darn time zones....tomorrow is a MMM by your truly since it is Monday here. Ben's MOAT will be out the following day, Tuesday in the USA.

Ben, just because you get to spell things with more letters (colour, honour, Zed, etc) does not mean you get to change the calendar! :D
You're perfectly right, of course. When I said "tomorrow", I meant "Tuesday". It's just that from where I'm sitting, tomorrow is Tuesday and today's MMM has still not been posted. ;)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up at #222, with help from meta partner. I thought this a very solid click- not sure why others were wavering.
Really liked this one.

Now for a little garden fun with 43A”Poppy tears”, a reference to the liquid that will ooze out of a slit in the green seed capsule. Also called bread seed poppy, the source of the poppy seeds we use for cooking. This is a multi-tasker,(!) and legal for ornamental gardens in the U.S.A.
EB7D79F6-693C-41D0-B3F8-199AA8FBDD01.jpeg
Papaver somniferum One of my favorite self-seeding plants
Bbaack

Post by Bbaack »

Beamed up finally. I had the answer, but lacking that 100% click (at least for me) verified it with a kind muggle before submitting. I have a near 50 streak going, and don't mind that it's not a solo solve...
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

decided to roll the dice like many here...beamed up at #262
mindle

Post by mindle »

I'm going to attempt both! :)
DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:26 pm

BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

bottod wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:48 pm General question on proper forum etiquette. If I have an answer, but am hesitant to submit (like others today), is it bad form to:
a) ask a correct solver if mine is right; or
b) ask an incorrect solver if my answer is same as theirs?

Not looking for hints or confirmation just yet. Again, sitting for a moment and waiting out my hesitancy.

But in case I reach that level of desperation (when I?), want to know if either approach will have me shunned in the future. :)
Personally, with an incorrect solver, I'd check first if it's OK with them before sending my potential answer. They might want to try again to solve even though it won't "count", and I wouldn't want to spoil that.

With correct solvers though, as others posted, no problem.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
burghman

Post by burghman »

On the board - made it pretty far along, but needed a course correction from DrTom to stick the landing. Like others, the “click” was more faint for me than normal, but I heard it.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Seeing a little bit, but not much. Will take friendly nudges.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beamed up with a stage 1 booster rocket.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Requested to be beamed aboard with a nonplussed, meh, tree-for-the-forest attitude. 🤞
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Finally beamed up! I was almost there, but it took a kindly nudge from a fellow Muggle to steer me in the right direction. I enjoyed the puzzle but, as others have said, it was not a 100%er.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Submitted, hoping I’m on the board….
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

beamed up.