#716 - “Taking Sides” by Matthew Stock

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

#716 - “Taking Sides” by Matthew Stock

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #716 — Friday, February 18th, 2022 — “Taking Sides” by Matthew Stock

GUEST CONSTRUCTOR PUZZLE:

Today’s Week 3 is by guest constructor Matthew Stock. Matthew (he/him) is a math educator and puzzle maker in St. Louis, Mo. His first published crossword ran in late 2019, and his work has since appeared in the New York Times, USA Today, and the AV Club, among other venues. He started solving and constructing metas last year.

Matthew loves helping new folks get started in crossword constructing — if you’re interested in talking to him about puzzles, you can find him on Twitter (@1MatthewStock) or at his website, www.happylittlepuzzles.com.

Thanks, Matthew! Let’s see what he’s got for Week 3…

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is an animal.

Join MGWCC.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm taking a chance here - wish me luck!

EDIT: Beamed up at #4!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
docison

Post by docison »

I have submitted. Not sure. Maybe 80%. But fingers crossed.

EDIT: OK, take the 80% up to 100%. On the board at #6. Interesting puzzle.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m in at #14. Went down a couple of empty tunnels, but managed to back out before getting lost in a brain fog. Nice puzzle.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MMe

Post by MMe »

I think I see the answer and I'm sure I see some of the mechanism. But there must be a paw or two still to drop...? Maybe not, given the "taking a chance" and "maybe 80%" comments.
ricky

Post by ricky »

I'd like to take a moment to commemorate what's probably the first and also probably the only time I got on the MGWCC leaderboard before JanglerNPL, who's ordinarily a good 100 spots ahead of me. I'm sure this is because he got his foot stuck in a revolving door for 45 minutes or something, but I'm going to pretend that's not the case for now.
Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 12.59.45 PM.png
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Thanks, Matt!

And Matthew!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Just missed the update, but hopefully on the board soon.

Nope. Bad, but defensible, guess. I guess my streak ends at 89.
Last edited by ky-mike on Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvetones

Post by twelvetones »

Ooohhhh fingers crossed, less sure than usual on this one but taking the leap of faith...

EDIT: beamed up! Nice work Matthew, this was a neato mechanism and a fun puzzle to solve.
- John Berry
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

I think I got it!

EDIT: #37 :D

Steven McKinney
woozy

Post by woozy »

What a weird week. Like the MEOW I have a "well, I definitely see what's going on ..... but I see no way that that leads to where its supposed go".

Edit: Oh, screw.... I got a thoroughly defensible one and not beyond the realm of a possible legitimate answer (I've seen metas stretch at less) but which I'd only give 15-35% confidence at. Do I go for it, or should I obsteporiously insist a meta needs stronger confirmation.....
Last edited by woozy on Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Wasn't 100% sure about this one, but there I am: #33 on the board. After last week I feel like a genius.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well, i see the thing that I’m supposed to see, I’m sure. What to do next, i do not know. Anyone else in this spot?

Actually i think i have a great guess, but not enough “evidence” that it’s the answer. I could make a case for it, but it’s not super strong.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
stmv

Post by stmv »

I saw Step 1 pretty quickly, but was stymied on Step 2 for some time, until I took a stroll and inspiration struck. Now I'm happily on the leaderboard at #36 after last week's debacle.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Going to go for it.... Let's see if that kills my streak.... really don't want to lose my streak..... Oh, well.

Edit: Got it at #41. On the one hand, it's only a 35% confidence when I submitted it, but on the other hand it was so defensible and the answer had to be something and it was hard to see the mechanism one had so far yielding anything else, that one can inflate the confidence level by 50% to 85%.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have an answer that's merely OK, no ding-ding-ding bells going off. But instead of asking anyone on the board to confirm, I'm risking my 50 badge on it anyway.
Jay
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:15 pm I have an answer that's merely OK, no ding-ding-ding bells going off. But instead of asking anyone on the board to confirm, I'm risking my 50 badge on it anyway.
You are very brave. I am thinking of doing the same. Good luck. I’m watching for more of you uncertain guessers come back here to celebrate. Haven’t yet seen an “unsure” venturer strike out this week.

UPDATE: Ohhhh... what the heck. As I did last week, I'm risking my streak on a "pretty sure." With the rest of you awaiting a refresh.

'NOTHER UPDATE: YESSS. On the board at #48. Streak at 47.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wow, I'm right there with all of you who have an OK answer but are looking for more confirmation ... will wait to submit.
I dared to eat a peach -- and there I am, beamed up!
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
bottod

Post by bottod »

General question on proper forum etiquette. If I have an answer, but am hesitant to submit (like others today), is it bad form to:
a) ask a correct solver if mine is right; or
b) ask an incorrect solver if my answer is same as theirs?

Not looking for hints or confirmation just yet. Again, sitting for a moment and waiting out my hesitancy.

But in case I reach that level of desperation (when I?), want to know if either approach will have me shunned in the future. :)
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Seems like there's a lot of us who had trouble whether or not to submit. Ultimately, we're just a bunch of squirrels, trying to decide if and when to make a break for the other side of the road.