"Back and Forth" - February 18, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CAe39

Post by CAe39 »

I made the shore Friday. Did not report it to the clan.
vandono

Post by vandono »

It may not have been the most difficult meta to solve (given that I solved it), but it still boggles my mind how someone comes up with the idea for it and then finds words or phrases of the right lengths that fit the construction. Please don't tell me there is a program that makes it easy; let me believe in magic.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

vandono wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:13 am It may not have been the most difficult meta to solve (given that I solved it), but it still boggles my mind how someone comes up with the idea for it and then finds words or phrases of the right lengths that fit the construction. Please don't tell me there is a program that makes it easy; let me believe in magic.
Agreed, great construction in this puzzle. Using “mirror image” with the “ro” fitting in “palindrome” is perfect for the puzzle theme, but then you need to find a symmetrical 11-letter grid answer that has the necessary back and forth surrounding the “li” in palindrome. Then the rest of the back and forth answers have to fit the grid symmetry. Even if there is a program to help, it is still amazing creativity.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Nlobb wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:11 pm Has anyone gotten the wordle in 2?
3 is the best I have done…
Yes, but only twice. One of those times was today.....my first word returned 1 green letter and 3 yellow ones.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

We got the silver medal with 270 on the shore.

So everyone can have hope all day today that they were the one who is awarded this week's gold medal you won't be contacted by the WSJ until tomorrow.

By the way, this is Patrick Berry's 18th WSJ meta.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

The effect I’ve been bent on achievin’
With some polysyllabic web weavin’
Is the end of this verse,
When it’s read in reverse,
Might become “never odd or even…”

It took a good night’s rest for me to realize that two letters needed to be extracted from between the three letter pairs for them to be truly palindromic.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Limerick Savant wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:05 am The effect I’ve been bent on achievin’
With some polysyllabic web weavin’
Is the end of this verse,
When it’s read in reverse,
Might become “never odd or even…”

It took a good night’s rest for me to realize that two letters needed to be extracted from between the three letter pairs for them to be truly palindromic.
I've always been in awe of your talent, but you've truly outdone yourself! BRAVO!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Stared at it for hours. Didn’t get it. Still don’t get it. 🤔
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Jace54 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:25 am
vandono wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:13 am It may not have been the most difficult meta to solve (given that I solved it), but it still boggles my mind how someone comes up with the idea for it and then finds words or phrases of the right lengths that fit the construction. Please don't tell me there is a program that makes it easy; let me believe in magic.
Agreed, great construction in this puzzle. Using “mirror image” with the “ro” fitting in “palindrome” is perfect for the puzzle theme, but then you need to find a symmetrical 11-letter grid answer that has the necessary back and forth surrounding the “li” in palindrome. Then the rest of the back and forth answers have to fit the grid symmetry. Even if there is a program to help, it is still amazing creativity.
Yes. Having wasted far too much time trying to construct an original palindromic phrase for my limerick this week and settling on an existing one, I am in awe of the constructor’s talents.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
ron

Post by ron »

Aggravating - I had thought of that type of mechanism and looked for it, but I guess didn't look long or hard enough to actually find it.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Colin wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:32 pm It’s not a ton weight,
Or God’s Dog Inlet Hotel,
The beach tis resit!

And with that I say,
To those who know my weird way,
Ashore! Now whiskey!
Speaking of clever, did everyone see how @Colin used the mechanism to report that he was ASHORE? Loved it, but couldn’t call attention to it until after the deadline.
Richard

Post by Richard »

PQ63 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:29 am Stared at it for hours. Didn’t get it. Still don’t get it. 🤔
While I certainly do not get them all, I would offer this advice:

If after staring for a while and you get nothing, do something else that is not too mentally stimulating like eat a snack, clear your mind and after a while look at it again with no preconceived idea.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Richard wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:44 am
PQ63 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:29 am Stared at it for hours. Didn’t get it. Still don’t get it. 🤔

If after staring for a while and you get nothing, do something else that is not too mentally stimulating like eat a snack, clear your mind and after a while look at it again with no preconceived idea.
ESSPASSE isn’t a palindrome unless you reverse the PA. Is that the point? Still trying to get this one.
RussHiggins

Post by RussHiggins »

My second week in a row that I haven't been able to look at the puzzle until Monday, and then quickly solved the meta without cheating. Man, I gotta get my priorities straight!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

PQ63 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:02 am

ESSPASSE isn’t a palindrome unless you reverse the PA. Is that the point? Still trying to get this one.
You're looking for the two letters within each palindrome, i.e. PA within ESSSSE.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:56 am We got the silver medal with 270 on the shore.

So everyone can have hope all day today that they were the one who is awarded this week's gold medal you won't be contacted by the WSJ until tomorrow.

By the way, this is Patrick Berry's 18th WSJ meta.
I love Patrick Berry's Variety puzzles. Fun meta!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:55 am
PQ63 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:02 am

You're looking for the two letters within each palindrome, i.e. PA within ESSSSE.
Complete brain block on this one. Still confused. Oh well - will move on. Thanks for the semi-enlightenment. :)
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:19 am
Yes, but only twice. One of those times was today.....my first word returned 1 green letter and 3 yellow ones.
Yes, but only once. CRIMP --> FRAME
(That's the only time I had two green letters in the first guess.)
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Henry Paul wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:27 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:19 am
Yes, but only once. CRIMP --> FRAME
(That's the only time I had two green letters in the first guess.)
Once. ALIEN and then ULCER.
vandono

Post by vandono »

I haven't, but one of my daughters got it in 2 the past 2 days. And she's the one I thought would be least likely to even play.