MEOW #64: Familiarity Counts

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
whimsy

MEOW #64: Familiarity Counts

Post by whimsy »

Good Morning -- and Welcome to Kitty Bowl LXIV!

Today I offer you another of my slightly off-kilter puzzles and ask for your indulgence.
This one will most likely require a bit of Googling, depending on how "familiar" you may be with a certain subject.

Madhatter considered this a Lion; however, with the help of an excellent and much needed tweak suggested by additional test solver DrTom, I think we've brought it down a notch into a much more solvable range.

I'm calling it a Tiger -- and I'm sure he'll be released from his container soon --

Capturetiger.PNG

Crosshare submission or PM here with answers or questions!

Familiarity Counts - Crosshare
Familiarity Counts - PUZ
Familiarity Counts - PDF
Familiarity Counts spreadsheet

Happy Solving!
Last edited by whimsy on Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

The cat is out of the bag (confirmed on crosshare). I don’t think I truly understood the answer until I did a little reading. Great job Claudia!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat is out of the bag, and wow, you don't know how pleased I am to have solved this one! Brilliantly constructed puzzle!!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I had the distinct honor of test solving this puzzle, and I'm impressed by the solvers already. Whimsy built a masterpiece which I sadly have to admit I needed a good deal of help solving. To see a couple of people already clocking in just goes to show you that, contrary to what my Mother always told me, familiarity actually breeds content. Get your thinking caps on folks.

Oh, and though I definitely will not float like a duck (thus failing the witch test) this is my familiar:
My Familiar.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

[Hiatus while I head out to do some hunting and gathering at Price Chopper -- Husband in need of lunch provisions.]
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Crosshare confirmed cat's clear.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is out of the bag! ( Confirmed on Crosshare).
Clever puzzle, not easy but not too hard either. Took a few wrong turns before zeroing in on correct path! Thank you for a fun puzzle!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Crosshare confirms the cat is free. Thanks for a fun and clever puzzle.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Submitted first and last name which was deemed incorrect.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Got it! The cat has done a triple axel out of the bag. Apparently I was very close like 2 hours ago. Nice puzzle, whimsy!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow. This *is* going to be a nice puzzle! Right now though I have 4 completely different and incompatible things going on yet the must work somehow....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Very nice! Got through the grid with no googling and some smiles, which is a great way to start a puzzle. Meta took a bit, but all the pointers were there. The cat is out of the bag.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

For now, the cat is stuck in the bag. He sees some "things" in there, but so far nothing familiar...
cat_stuck_in_bag.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Pretty sure the feline has been freed. Great puzzle!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Whew! Cat finally free thanks to @boharr!

Great puzzle @whimsy with a great mechanism! Enjoyed it!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Intimidating meta, but I loved your cluing, Whimsy!

On this one, it seems you can play with the tiger, but don't fool with Dr Tom's evil black cat with herring on its breath! :lol: .
Attachments
gettyimages-1184332490-612x612.jpg
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

The cat is out of the bag. Good grid and a challenging meta. Thanks, whimsy.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

“Enough with your meta puzzling,” said the cat. “I’m outta here.”

Much fun!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :handbag: :cat2: Doh! A stoopid mistake kept me from seeing the answer earlier.

Great meta. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Not a good week for me. I can't figure Tues or Weds at all. There comes a point where you know you'll never think it.....

EDIT: Got Tuesdays.... only took me two and a half days.... Off my game.... At least on the WSJ I didn't spend on the meta more than the 20 seconds it deserved..... Still haven't done the MEOW though.....
Last edited by woozy on Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.