#715 - “A City of Puzzles”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
markhr

Post by markhr »

After failing to make any progress yesterday, I picked it up again this morning and solved in about 10 minutes. Weird. It probably is a week 2, though the key step is hard to spot. I might have solved without Matt's hint, but kind of doubtful.
Joe

Post by Joe »

markhr wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:30 pm After failing to make any progress yesterday, I picked it up again this morning and solved in about 10 minutes. Weird. It probably is a week 2, though the key step is hard to spot. I might have solved without Matt's hint, but kind of doubtful.
I feel the same way, though I needed both Matt's hint and a friendly nudge. It is either a week 2 or a week 7.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I think I've made it to the tractor beam, thanks to the additional hint and a helpful nudge. I was definitely led astray by what can only be described as a hell of a red herring!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Beamed up with the hint. I had a couple initial guesses after reading the prompt, which normally doesn't help me because I spend time trying to make my guess work. This time one of my guesses turned out to be the answer, and I don't think I would have gotten it without having that idea in my head.
Psumcoleman

Post by Psumcoleman »

I have almost no leads let alone ideas even after reading the clue. Well, one thing that’s almost definitely a rabbit hole. Nudges appreciated.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Beamed up....waiting for confirmation, but it's a solid answer. - Confirmed beamed up

Thanks for the great hint Meg
Last edited by jhseeman on Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burak

Post by burak »

I don't know if I'll solve this puzzle by the deadline, but my US geography is surely gonna improve a lot so that's a plus?
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Totally stuck. Stupid ego is not letting me look at the hint. I do agree my knowledge of geography is also getting a lot better!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

jhseeman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:04 pm Beamed up....waiting for confirmation, but it's a solid answer.

Thanks for the great hint Meg
While I'm beamed up, I'd love to hear the hint afterward!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm still quite stuck.

There are two obvious guesses.

Decisions, decisions.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
burghman

Post by burghman »

Hate to throw out the “could really use a nudge” random request, but I think it’s time. I’ve spent more time looking at this one than any other MGWCC puzzle - with weeks 3+, I’m smart enough to know that I’m not always smart enough and will throw in the towel if nothing jumps out. But a week 2?!?!?! I can’t completely throw in the towel on a week 2, but nothing is presenting itself. I humbly request a kind soul to provide a little nudge. I’ve already looked at Matt’s hint and that didn’t shed any light for me, and I fear it may have done more harm than good. Happy to share things that I’ve “discovered” and failed at. Thanks!

ETA - got a few nudges I’m working with today. Thanks to those that responded.
Last edited by burghman on Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted. Waiting on a board update.

Not my first guess, or second or third (based on the meta description), but a solid fourth of my pre-solve list of possible answers.

Edit: On the board.
Last edited by ky-mike on Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

By the way, for those of you who are interested, I've created a response to this puzzle (which I've entitled "A puzzle of cities") which will be the MOAT puzzle coming out on the 22nd of February. You know how a meta mechanic occurs to you while you are trying to solve a meta puzzle? Well, that happened and I can't wait for you all to see it!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ricky

Post by ricky »

I need a nudge! I have absolutely no idea what's going on with this puzzle. I have two solid guesses for answers, but no backsolving route presents itself. In response to the inevitable "what do you have so far" question, I finished the puzzle and... that's all I've got.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Yeah, what many before have said. Nudge! Although I do have “pre-solve” list of potentials, and really hoping for a particular one.
burghman

Post by burghman »

Thanks to a late night nudge from rogerf4 and an overnight nudge from Schmeel, I’ve reached the promised land. Not yet on the leaderboard (no refresh from Matt since 1AM-ish), but it’s a no-doubter when the mechanism rears its head.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I’ve found a lot of dead ends but still lost and in need of a nudge.

Edit: thanks to a nudge from @Schmeel, I have found and submitted an answer. Will update when I know more.

Two more weeks of increasing difficulty this month?! I think I’m in over my head.

Edit 2: Confirmed! Number 138 this week and 134 last week, so not too different. Of course without the nudge, I would be what? Infinity?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up yesterday...with help.
cisalope

Post by cisalope »

I'm totally lost with this one, and would love a nudge. How is this a Week 2?
woozy

Post by woozy »

cisalope wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:14 am I'm totally lost with this one, and would love a nudge. How is this a Week 2?
It's not. Even when get the mechanism, it isn't.

PMing you a nudge right now.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.