#715 - “A City of Puzzles”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 am By the way, for those of you who are interested, I've created a response to this puzzle (which I've entitled "A puzzle of cities") which will be the MOAT puzzle coming out on the 22nd of February. You know how a meta mechanic occurs to you while you are trying to solve a meta puzzle? Well, that happened and I can't wait for you all to see it!
The castle is always bustling with activity!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

woozy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:39 am
cisalope wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:14 am I'm totally lost with this one, and would love a nudge. How is this a Week 2?
It's not. Even when get the mechanism, it isn't.

PMing you a nudge right now.
I'd say the start is a week 4, but the mechanism is a solid week 2.
cisalope

Post by cisalope »

I do believe I've solved it, with help from two people. Thank you so much!!
twelvetones

Post by twelvetones »

Been beating my head against this for too long now... can anyone spare a nudge for a poor lost solver?

EDIT: with a helpful nudge from a muggle I think I've got it. Thanks!
Last edited by twelvetones on Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- John Berry
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

It took a city to solve this puzzle. On the board. Thank you, fellow Muggles!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

If there is a nudge to be spared, I went so long trying not to look at the hint that my frustration rendered the hint equally useless.

::grovels::

:::looks sweet and innocent:::

Thanks so much to those who responded. The very first - and most necessary - step - was not something I would have done without the hint(s) I received.
Last edited by HoldThatThought on Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

finally on the board after a consultation. Took me a while even then to see the mechanism. Even then I had to "back solve". I'm guessing there IS a way to solve this the correct way (i.e. the mechanism will lead you to the answer vs starting with an answer and seeing if it will work). Would be happy to hear from someone who "solved" it that way!

Edit: Thx to a friendly Muggle who gave me a satisfying answer as to how to work toward the solution.
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:48 pm It took a city to solve this puzzle. On the board. Thank you, fellow Muggles!
What Wendy said.
Heidi
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Really tried to do without the official hint, but I finally gave up; I think I'll be beaming up with the next update. Congrats and awe to those who solved without even that tiny nudge!

Edit: #159
Last edited by Laura M on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Finished the grid and tried a number of rabbit holes while on my flights home yesterday. This is the first chance I'm getting to look at it again since then. Reading these posts, I'm not totally confident I'll get it. Nor am I sure if I should even bother to look at the hint(?).
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally solved after a nudge from a fellow muggle. I did enjoy this puzzle despite my initial frustration. Nice "aha" moment when I realized how it worked! Looking back, I should have gotten it sooner, but not without Matt's hint.
Cindy Heisler
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:32 pm Finished the grid and tried a number of rabbit holes while on my flights home yesterday. This is the first chance I'm getting to look at it again since then. Reading these posts, I'm not totally confident I'll get it. Nor am I sure if I should even bother to look at the hint(?).
Look at the hint. Not a spoiler, but may help focus your efforts.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Ok, I threw in one of my options and I'm on the board.

Now, can someone send me a PM and help me figure out why its correct? LOL
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:26 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:32 pm Finished the grid and tried a number of rabbit holes while on my flights home yesterday. This is the first chance I'm getting to look at it again since then. Reading these posts, I'm not totally confident I'll get it. Nor am I sure if I should even bother to look at the hint(?).
Look at the hint. Not a spoiler, but may help focus your efforts.
That hint was so clutch in my eyes.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

I need a nudge, if not an outright shove if someone could help please. Even with Matt’s hint, I’m not seeing it. I have a couple good possibilities as answers, tried backsolving, and still got nowhere. This is the most frustrating Week 2 I’ve ever seen. :roll:
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We would like to please ask for a nudge. We have 2 contenders for answers but no way of back solving even with Matt's hint.

Editing to add... Thanks to the kind assistance of muggles, I believe we have the correct answer! With much appreciation
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

I’m also asking for a nudge. I am at sea. Happy to share what I’ve come up with which isn’t much.

EDIT: Got it thanks to the nudges of the muggleverse...thanks to all who helped or offered to help! Clever mechanism, wish I had thought of it!
Last edited by MamaE on Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:27 pm Ok, I threw in one of my options and I'm on the board.

Now, can someone send me a PM and help me figure out why its correct? LOL
3 PMs received, two were exactly on point, thanks for telling me why my answer was correct. Not for the reason I'd thought, not at all.

:)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

I'm giving up and begging for a nudge too... anyone willing to help? Looked at the hint and... no clue.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I'm certainly joining the "Wow I can't believe I didn't see that "crowd (but isn't that always the way) but I am adamantly NOT joining the "in hindsight it was a solid 2" crowd. No way, no how. A three and a half maybe a four. Probably not a 5 but definitely not a 2.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.