#715 - “A City of Puzzles”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I am ready to beg for a nudge. I kept thinking “surely I can solve a week 2 without help” while staring at the grid and seeing what must be a red herring and looking for four more.

Edit: got some help. (Thank you kind soul.) Should hopefully have it soon.
Last edited by SusieG on Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaulbsLCFC

Post by DaulbsLCFC »

After 2 days of grid/clue staring without looking at Matt's hint, and another day of staring after seeing the hint, I am caving and asking for a nudge if possible. I feel like I don't even have a start, but am happy to explain the dead ends I have followed so far
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I would like to join in asking for a nudge. Even after the hint, I'm going nowhere. This must truly be one of those "it's easy when you see it" metas. You either see it or you don't, and so far, I don't. Should I pm someone, or can I just ask here for a nudge?

EDIT:
Thanks to a nudge, I'm about to beam up. Thanks for the replies!
Last edited by Katiedid on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beamed up (with help). Remainder of comment deleted as it was starting to feel too spoilery. I'm sure there will be much discussion tomorrow.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

I’ve seen lots of people looking for nudges. Been there, done that myself. I would be happy to help if you’ve not yet gotten a nudge. PM me.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: I needed the hint but finally submitted what feels like a week 22 solution. Biting my tongue on saying anything else before deadline.

And I accept full responsibility for jinxing this one. Out of town til Sunday night? No problem, sez smug me. It's only a week 2. I'll solve it on my phone while I'm away, or in 20 minutes when I get back. Hah! That'll learn me.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
michpuzzler

Post by michpuzzler »

Well Friends,

I have reached the point where I would love a friendly nudge. Like others I’ve spent a lot of time staring at this one and even with Matt’s bump I haven’t gotten anything to click. If there are any night owls out there who wouldn’t mind giving me a slight push I’d be grateful!

michpuzzler

Edit: thanks to a clever hint from another solver I made it - quite the week 2!
Last edited by michpuzzler on Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

So close. So close and yet so far.

Had it smothered until I caved. Submitted.

As always, huge props to those who solved alone. Well done!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

Beamed up. Shoutout to @patpatchica for the crucially helpful nudge!

I can kind of understand how Matt would think this could be a week 2. But if you don't spot the mechanism, it plays like a week 11.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Beamed up at #215! Thanks to muggle friends. In retrospect, it wasn't as difficult as we first made it out to be. As we keep working at these metas, hopefully we'll develop our skills.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

A nudge got me to what I figure must be the criteria for the answer, but I cannot come up with a city that meets those criteria. I need a new atlas. Or a new idea. Or a new nudge.
Jay
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:58 am A nudge got me to what I figure must be the criteria for the answer, but I cannot come up with a city that meets those criteria. I need a new atlas. Or a new idea. Or a new nudge.
Nice job under the wire! I love it.

We finish at 293, so I hope this means Matt will be generous with us for Week 3. I actually really like (some have said this shouldn't come into play) that if he misfires on difficulty, he'll adjust accordingly moving forward.

I guess this would be considered a SAD puzzle ("simple and difficult"). If you know what you're looking for, it's a slam dunk. Obviously, I didn't until the hint - and even then, perhaps I got lucky.

Ironically, if you did Monday's New York Times, well...if you know, you know!

I never post the actual solution first because I'm always too scared to, hahaha. Hope that those of you who were wrestling with it got what you needed!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I misread the prompt. I added the extra criterion that the name of the city too had to begin with N. Once I had realized my mistake and had removed the heel of my hand from the large dent it had left in my forehead, I decided to try for a buzzer-beater. Nothing but net, but unfortunately, two solvers grabbed the ball, sped down the court, and sank the three-pointer.
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:12 pm I misread the prompt. I added the extra criterion that the name of the city too had to begin with N. Once I had realized my mistake and had removed the heel of my hand from the large dent it had left in my forehead, I decided to try for a buzzer-beater. Nothing but net, but unfortunately, two solvers grabbed the ball, sped down the court, and sank the three-pointer.
Everyone submitting after 11:55 AM gets a ribbon, Jay!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Couldn't see it even with a great nudge. I kept trying to add vowels to the grid answers. I liked what I came up with for Sundance - Sunday on ice!
Kevin
ajk

Post by ajk »

Even though I've done at least 250 of these I'm still bad at recognizing things like strange cluing. If I'd realized, as mentioned in Joon's writeup, that there had to be significance to the absence of the state names in the clues, that might have gotten me there, at least with the hint. As is, I don't think I'd ever have thought to look at the combined strings. But once it was suggested via nudge the answer came in week 2-type time.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:58 am A nudge got me to what I figure must be the criteria for the answer, but I cannot come up with a city that meets those criteria. I need a new atlas. Or a new idea. Or a new nudge.
Well, of the eight states that start with N, only New York does not repeat any vowels. So it's a city in New York. New York has the vowels and Y of NEYO and doesn't have AIU so it's a city in New York that has one A,I and U and no other vowel and Y. Google "cities in New York" and the city usually shows up fifth or sixth and that it has the criterion is obvious.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Before reading Matt's hint email, any posts beyond #5 here, the email flying about regarding the hint, and a slight, throw-in-the-towel nudge, I had found seven clues using A, E, I, O, U, & Y yet never thought to apply that mechanism to the city & state of each Theme Entry. I first felt relief when solving, then nauseated after waking, today, and realizing how close I had been to the answer.

I'm betting most of those solving don't realize that the title, A CITY OF PUZZLES, leads the way by example.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

woozy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:38 pm
Well, of the eight states that start with N, only New York does not repeat any vowels. So it's a city in New York. New York has the vowels and Y of NEYO and doesn't have AIU so it's a city in New York that has one A,I and U and no other vowel and Y. Google "cities in New York" and the city usually shows up fifth or sixth and that it has the criterion is obvious.
What I said at #113.
Jay
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:39 pm Before reading Matt's hint email, any posts beyond #5 here, the email flying about regarding the hint, and a slight, throw-in-the-towel nudge, I had found seven clues using A, E, I, O, U, & Y yet never thought to apply that mechanism to the city & state of each Theme Entry. I first felt relief when solving, then nauseated after waking, today, and realizing how close I had been to the answer.

I'm betting most of those solving don't realize that the title, A CITY OF PUZZLES, leads the way by example.
Although it was obviously my first guess, I never did find the mechanism or notice the vowel thing (and now I've learned another word I'll never use). The closest I came was that A City is UTICA spelled backwards (except for the "vowel play" of changing the Y to a U), and Utica has been referred to as the Comeback City. But didn't I warn all you guys? C'mon, you don't remember in the thread for MGWCC #622, when I mentioned that Samuel F. B. Morse married a girl from my hometown, "crossword-friendly Utica"??