#715 - “A City of Puzzles”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

woozy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:53 pm I'm certainly joining the "Wow I can't believe I didn't see that "crowd (but isn't that always the way) but I am adamantly NOT joining the "in hindsight it was a solid 2" crowd. No way, no how. A three and a half maybe a four. Probably not a 5 but definitely not a 2.
Now that I finally got it, I agree. Especially with the original title. Feels like a week 4.5. Very clever construction tho!
Psumcoleman

Post by Psumcoleman »

Where can you see the number of correct vs incorrect responses? I can only seem to see the board with the correct responders on the MG website. Thx
mindle

Post by mindle »

Solved. Thanks to two muggles for their hints :)

@Psumcoleman You can look at the "overall" tab and subtract the number of correct answers listed on the first tab.
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Psumcoleman wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:59 pm Where can you see the number of correct vs incorrect responses? I can only seem to see the board with the correct responders on the MG website. Thx
You take the number under the "This week" tab (correct answers), and number under the "OVerall" tab, subtract, and you get the number of incorrect answers.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, I've submitted an answer that I have to admit was pulled and prodded from me as if it were a hunk of meat and I was a hungry wolf. Even when I had the MX I was unsure of how to bring it home, mainly because of an erroneous assumption. Once that was slapped soundly from my head the rest of the path was rather clear.

I do have to say that I probably never would have noticed the "trick" had I not been given a directive by a fellow Muggle - Thanks to my benefactor.

Now I have to see if what I sent in is right, though I doubt it could be anything else at this point.

EDIT: Confirmed - at last a good night's sleep ahead without lying awake thinking about what the Mx might be (some REALLY odd ones came to mind, but surprisingly enough never the real one)
Last edited by DrTom on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Super Bowl and post-game wrap-up over, gonna give it one more look but will likely be seeking a nudge tomorrow. Tried for quite some time without, and much later with, Matt’s updated title, and still at a loss… Hoping the AHA is worth the journey 😬
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:18 pm
BrianMac wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:23 pm Sumbitted without the hint. Could have been a contender if I would have jumped on this right at noon (assuming I'm correct).

Edit: beamed up!
Well I don't think I'll be bragging about this one. Upon viewing the hint and discussing with another member, I think I lucked into the answer via an unintended and inelegant way. Not that I won't take the win! :lol:
I hope you will elaborate after the deadline!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Awaiting beam up following a nudge from a fellow Muggle. The answer was on my short list of possible Hail Marys. I looked at Matt’s hint and it did not help with the solve, but once you know the solution the hint does wrap it up with a bow.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

i will take a nudge from the willing. i don't have much so far.

EDIT: solved after i was kindly nudged.
Last edited by Prozach on Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

After spending most of the weekend working on this puzzle, we had the first 2 steps figured out, thanks to correspondence with muggle friends.
Then, my wife came up with the answer in the middle of the night last night and it was the very first thing she said to me this morning. Do you think that is a sign that we are getting too hooked on metas?

Oh, wait, it's Monday and it's almost 8 a.m. Gotta' get going.........
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 am By the way, for those of you who are interested, I've created a response to this puzzle (which I've entitled "A puzzle of cities") which will be the MOAT puzzle coming out on the 22nd of February. You know how a meta mechanic occurs to you while you are trying to solve a meta puzzle? Well, that happened and I can't wait for you all to see it!
Well I'll look forward to that. I do know what you mean, but I also know that when that happens to me my "good idea" often turns into "Snaggledaffy, that's a legitimate fill isn't it?" Or, what about "10th century word for Unicorn"....grrr. Well moat power to ya.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Geez!!

I just went back and looked at Matt's second email and realized that, had I actually read it correctly instead of quickly looking in my "oh my goodness, never gonna solve this panic" I MIGHT (and might being the operative word) have solved this on my own. It certainly would have pushed me away from one of my presumptions that kept leading me to the same dead end.

Note to self: DON'T BE STUPID...oh, wait, I don't need that note, I found my other note that says the same thing, oh and another, and.....well as Bill Engvall says, "Here's you sign!"
stupid.jpg
BackHomeInKY

Post by BackHomeInKY »

Hate to ask for a week 2 meta but I confess “not a clue” even after Matt’s hint, nudge sadly accepted from any willing muggle. Thanks

Aha. Thanks Muggles for nudge. Had step 1 but failed to see the significance. Week 3.5 I think
Last edited by BackHomeInKY on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Solved with help, awaiting beam up. I have nothing good to say about this meta other than complaints. It’s definitely not a week 2. To me, it’s not even a Gaffney like puzzle unless I missed some things, which is possible. Can’t wait to see the explanation. :?

Edit: Beamed up at 196.
Last edited by patpatchica on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

patpatchica wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:55 am Solved with help, awaiting beam up. I have nothing good to say about this meta other than complaints. It’s definitely not a week 2. To me, it’s not even a Gaffney like puzzle unless I missed some things, which is possible. Can’t wait to see the explanation. :?
I also feel the same way about this week's WSJ puzzle for different reasons. Matt's puzzles usually such a joy that if feels wrong for me to complain though.
Cow

Post by Cow »

If anyone is willing to provide a very gentle nudge, I'd appreciate it. I read Matt's hint but don't know what to do with it. Maybe I can explain my thought process via PM, and you can let me know if I'm thinking about the right things?

Edit: Got some PMs, thanks all!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 am By the way, for those of you who are interested, I've created a response to this puzzle (which I've entitled "A puzzle of cities") which will be the MOAT puzzle coming out on the 22nd of February. You know how a meta mechanic occurs to you while you are trying to solve a meta puzzle? Well, that happened and I can't wait for you all to see it!
My follow-up to your follow-up: "A Pity of Cuzzles."
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
bodhipepper

Post by bodhipepper »

Time to bite the bullet and call for backup - I'd appreciate a nudge that I anticipate will surely redirect my attention back to the grid rather than mapping apps. Thanks!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed aboard thanks to a kindly nudge, without which I don't think I'd ever have gotten there.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up, thanks to a couple of friendly nudges.

Put me in the "That ain't no week 2 puzzle" camp. Though I get why Matt might think it is. It definitely takes some experience with these things.