"Listen Up" - February 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KrisHendo

Post by KrisHendo »

Feeling happy and pouring an Aperol spritz to toast making it on shore after many weeks battling the waves. Cheers all, and here's to a great super bowl game tomorrow.
Last edited by KrisHendo on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

I just printed off the puzzle an hour ago and am already ashore - a personal record! Although, I think Matt gave us a nice one for our Valentines :)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

KrisHendo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:27 pm Feeling happy and pouring an Aperol spritz to toast making it on shore after many weeks battling the waves. Cheers all, and here's to a great super bowl game tomorrow.
I never heard of Aperol spritz before today and now I heard it TWICE today. Guess I'll have to try one!
CAe39

Post by CAe39 »

On shore!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:27 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:23 am
If I just say, “Good luck. Hope your team gets lots of home runs,” they’ll roll their eyes and change the subject to something we’re both interested in.
Oh my gosh, I'll have to try that some day!
It works for other subjects too. When one of my fashion conscious friends seems to be ready to start making suggestions about my wardrobe and asks where I got that shirt, if I say, "Goodwill - the blue tags are half price on Tuesdays!" again an eye roll and we're over to more interesting stuff.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

A question for our millennial muggles - do you all say, or at least understand, the phrase "jumped the shark"? I'm discussing a TV show with my 30 year old nephew and wonder if that shorthand will make sense or just make him think I'm senile.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
burak

Post by burak »

This one was made unnecessarily easy with all the extra stuff, and then MGWCC is playing way too hard for a Week 2. Matt's radar is definitely off this week LOL.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Grid complete and Meta solved! This NC Tar Heel is ashore! Good one! 4-5 Metas recently!
M&M

Post by M&M »

On shore. Got the Meta before finishing the grid.
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Been on the beach since Friday afternoon, only getting around to posting my shore status because... Kids. So many kids. 2 kids is 2 kids, but now that we have 3 kids we have 15.
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore, after a flash of lightning across the sky illuminated the hidden motorboat and the ladder down the side of the ship to it.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

This is the first challenging WSJ of the year for me. Between this and MGWCC I'm pulling my hair out.
OffAndRunning

Post by OffAndRunning »

On shore. Good, easy puzzle to rebuild my confidence. I’ll take it.
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

debbierudy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:27 pm I just printed off the puzzle an hour ago and am already ashore - a personal record! Although, I think Matt gave us a nice one for our Valentines :)
Does that mean everyone gets a mug? Because I don’t know how I’d feel about that.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Inglewood, Shminglewood,
Superbowl Fifty-six!
Rappers at halftime with
Blige and Lamar!

Futbol fanatics are
Hyperexcitable
Here in the States! (And in
Ulaanbaatar.)
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

On shore. stumped on friday. fresh eyes today and it fell out. Drambuie for me.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

KrisHendo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:27 pm Feeling happy and pouring an Aperol spritz to toast making it on shore after many weeks battling the waves. Cheers all, and here's to a great super bowl game tomorrow.
Has become my favorite drink of late on the shore or with Isaac! Cheers!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
AlsoJanet

Post by AlsoJanet »

1. I'm on shore. I'm in the mood for a mimosa (it's early).

2. I'm going to watch the Puppy Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, there are only two seasons: 1. Baseball and 2. Waiting for Spring Training.
Last edited by AlsoJanet on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDeej

Post by TheDeej »

Once again, work had me tied up the last few days. Just sat down to do the grid and saw the meta right away. Have to say that I found this answer to be less than satisfying. The process of finding the answer is not my complaint, but I have to ask what the *expletive* does the answer have to do with the theme?

/end rant

Ashore! Barkeep! B&T with Harp here. Never mind the time. The clock has nothing to do with whether or not I want a beer.
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Ashore!