"Listen Up" - February 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ReB

Post by ReB »

TheDeej wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:02 am Once again, work had me tied up the last few days. Just sat down to do the grid and saw the meta right away. Have to say that I found this answer to be less than satisfying. The process of finding the answer is not my complaint, but I have to ask what the *expletive* does the answer have to do with the theme?

/end rant

Ashore! Barkeep! B&T with Harp here. Never mind the time. The clock has nothing to do with whether or not I want a beer.
It does relate to the puzzle theme - and I'm sure someone will explain after the deadline. Whether that will satisfy you is another matter.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

ReB wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 am
TheDeej wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:02 am Once again, work had me tied up the last few days. Just sat down to do the grid and saw the meta right away. Have to say that I found this answer to be less than satisfying. The process of finding the answer is not my complaint, but I have to ask what the *expletive* does the answer have to do with the theme?

/end rant

Ashore! Barkeep! B&T with Harp here. Never mind the time. The clock has nothing to do with whether or not I want a beer.
It does relate to the puzzle theme - and I'm sure someone will explain after the deadline. Whether that will satisfy you is another matter.
I see the relationship between meta and theme but I found the title deliberately misleading in two different ways and it might have left me lost in the rabbit warrens were the solution not so readily apparent.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

Ashore, (maybe)
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:42 pm A question for our millennial muggles - do you all say, or at least understand, the phrase "jumped the shark"? I'm discussing a TV show with my 30 year old nephew and wonder if that shorthand will make sense or just make him think I'm senile.
I definitely understand it, but I can't tell how representative a sample of all millennials I am. But I also watch the kind of show that would wink at that reference (Arrested Development literally had Henry Winkler's character hop over a shark on a boardwalk) so take that for what it's worth.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Super Bowl Sunday morning muggles.

An early report as things has slowed down. We have 249 on the shore - a long way from the record of 271.

New to the shore since yesterday (or lost in the crowd yesterday) are

ship4u
PhantomPhan
phofer
Debbie
ReB
halseymac
Limerick
iggystan
CAe39
caf.caf Cathy
pookie
Burak
KrisHendo
LuscombeDriver
TheDeej
jmorgie7
martimeryard
AlsoJanet
OffAndRunning
Fred F
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

In honor of Superb Owl Sunday...........
IMG_5315.JPG
I saw these for the first time ever two weeks ago: Long-eared Owls. There were actually 7 of them roosting in this group of pines.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:42 pm A question for our millennial muggles - do you all say, or at least understand, the phrase "jumped the shark"? I'm discussing a TV show with my 30 year old nephew and wonder if that shorthand will make sense or just make him think I'm senile.
@BabaraK, though I am old enough to recognize the original reference to the Happy Days episode, I would guess that any millennial worth their salt would Google the expression if it was unclear. When I did in fact I found that it has appeared in several more contemporary sources including the title of an episode in the final season of The X Files. Like they were intending to ring their own death knell.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

On shore.

That is definitely a superb owl.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:40 pm It works for other subjects too. When one of my fashion conscious friends seems to be ready to start making suggestions about my wardrobe and asks where I got that shirt, if I say, "Goodwill - the blue tags are half price on Tuesdays!" again an eye roll and we're over to more interesting stuff.
There are other options:

WHO DEY!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

After seriously overthinking, made the jet ski ride to shore in the nick of time, before the day proceeds into chaos.

Did see Hawaiian Monk Seal yesterday while I was underwater off the coast. One of about 300 in existence, swimming with our group about 6 feet away. Naturally, my camera was right where it was safe. In my bag on the boat. One of the divers said to the instructor "But I wanted to see a turtle." Which gave them some serious stink-eye from the rest of the boat. Fun day with a huge Tiger Shark swimming with us into the channel on the way back.

Good luck to all who have squares today.
Rufus T. Firefly
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

On my daily stroll this morning, I saw all the azaleas in bloom, egrets and herons wading in the swamp and a gorgeous red headed woodpecker! And a puzzle answer sent in on Thursday (very rare for me) so I had time to enjoy the day!!
steveb

Post by steveb »

bradisbrad wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:39 am
I definitely understand it, but I can't tell how representative a sample of all millennials I am. But I also watch the kind of show that would wink at that reference (Arrested Development literally had Henry Winkler's character hop over a shark on a boardwalk) so take that for what it's worth.
The "Arrested Development" episode must have been a reference to the phrase's origin, when Henry Winkler's character in "Happy Days" jumped over a shark on water skis. It essentially means the point where something (usually a TV series) has reached the point of ridiculousness and is usually taken to signal the beginning of the end. if anyone else has a variation on that interpretation, please chime in.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

anaerobe wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:57 am
Go Pats!!
Where's that DIS-like button.....?

;)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:23 am
I don’t think you really understand the psychology of us non-sports people. If I tell a sports fan that I bet that “an offensive lineman score a TD” they’ll want to discuss what an offensive lineman is and how likely he might score and such. Yawn. If I just say, “Good luck. Hope your team gets lots of home runs,” they’ll roll their eyes and change the subject to something we’re both interested in.
I've used that type of response for years. Though, as a guy, and as a guy known for making puns, the eye-roll usually means, "That's dumber than his usual bad puns."

But it does get them to stop talking about sports to me!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Dplass wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:51 pm
KrisHendo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:27 pm Feeling happy and pouring an Aperol spritz to toast making it on shore after many weeks battling the waves. Cheers all, and here's to a great super bowl game tomorrow.
I never heard of Aperol spritz before today and now I heard it TWICE today. Guess I'll have to try one!
Interesting. I think it was last year that the NY Times had an article about how the Aperol Spritz fad had gotten so overly popular that they'd become a source of ridicule, especially with bartenders.

And I understand they're not as popular anymore.

But hey, if you like 'em, drink 'em!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:20 pm
Dplass wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:51 pm
KrisHendo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:27 pm Feeling happy and pouring an Aperol spritz to toast making it on shore after many weeks battling the waves. Cheers all, and here's to a great super bowl game tomorrow.
I never heard of Aperol spritz before today and now I heard it TWICE today. Guess I'll have to try one!
Interesting. I think it was last year that the NY Times had an article about how the Aperol Spritz fad had gotten so overly popular that they'd become a source of ridicule, especially with bartenders.

And I understand they're not as popular anymore.

But hey, if you like 'em, drink 'em!
Last night I made true on my decision and had an Italian Mule (i.e., a Moscow mule but with Aperol instead of vodka). It was too sweet for me, but hey, if you like 'em, drink 'em.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

"Oh, you mean the book?" lol.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

My 20-something kids knew the phrase, and the source of it, years ago. At least one of them must have been a teenager at the time. And I'm sure they have never even seen a single episode of Happy Days. So it's in the internet meme-sphere enough that unless your 30 year old nephew is a Luddite, he'll know it.

Oh and I can't use the term "Luddite" to refer to someone who shuns technology with my 25 year old. He goes into a lengthy discussion of how the Luddites didn't shun technology, per se, but rather were textile workers angrily reacting to their businesses failing due to the textile mills that could produce materials far cheaper and with significantly less labor yada yada yada....
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done and done. Waiting on a printer ink delivery (where are you, Amazon?) so I worked it online just before 5PM Thursday. Had the meta less than one minute after the fill. Hey, maybe there's a spot over there?

Just got back from Six-Mile Cypress Preserve in Fort Myers with Mrs. OGD and a houseguest. Incredible place to see southwest Florida wildlife. Egrets, four different types of herons, big gators, baby gators, anhingas, turtles and a snake. Yee-hah!

TFTXWD
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

OGuyDave wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm Done and done. Waiting on a printer ink delivery (where are you, Amazon?) so I worked it online just before 5PM Thursday. Had the meta less than one minute after the fill. Hey, maybe there's a spot over there?

Just got back from Six-Mile Cypress Preserve in Fort Myers with Mrs. OGD and a houseguest. Incredible place to see southwest Florida wildlife. Egrets, four different types of herons, big gators, baby gators, anhingas, turtles and a snake. Yee-hah!

TFTXWD
Love Six-Mile Cypress Slough. When my folks were alive, they snow-birded in Fort Meyers. Their condo backed up to the slough. I loved to sit on the lanai and watch the birds. Sweet memories.