"Listen Up" - February 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Happily, this week's answer was "pressed between the pages of my mind." Thank you, Elvis.

Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Gman

Post by Gman »

woozy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:04 am Okay.... So... the answer is MEMORIES because..... people if things go in one ear and out the other have bad memories? ....Is that it?

And the title is LISTEN UP because.... that's what you say to people with bad memories?
Yeah, I got stuck on those concerns for a while, but I finally just hit submit. Sometimes the title/mechanism lead to a perfectly matched solution, and sometimes they don't quite match. Maybe it's to prevent us from guessing?
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:17 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm Done and done. Waiting on a printer ink delivery (where are you, Amazon?) so I worked it online just before 5PM Thursday. Had the meta less than one minute after the fill. Hey, maybe there's a spot over there?

Just got back from Six-Mile Cypress Preserve in Fort Myers with Mrs. OGD and a houseguest. Incredible place to see southwest Florida wildlife. Egrets, four different types of herons, big gators, baby gators, anhingas, turtles and a snake. Yee-hah!

TFTXWD
Love Six-Mile Cypress Slough. When my folks were alive, they snow-birded in Fort Meyers. Their condo backed up to the slough. I loved to sit on the lanai and watch the birds. Sweet memories.
Um, um. Sweet WHAT?
Intentional?
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

WSJ Listen Up 20220210 smaller gridpic.png
-Tamara
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

HunterX wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:08 pm
anaerobe wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:57 am
Go Pats!!
Where's that DIS-like button.....?

;)
If it's any consolation-Super Bowl victories for NE are only MEMORIES now!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I am confused. I got the correct answer, and in record time for me, but still haven't seen it's relationship with the "listen Up" theme. There doesn't seem to be much discussion of this here and I would be happy to have it explained to me. Do the authors of these puzzles and metas ever chime in with an official explanation if there are questions?
Colin

Post by Colin »

Dennis wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:59 am I am confused. I got the correct answer, and in record time for me, but still haven't seen it's relationship with the "listen Up" theme. There doesn't seem to be much discussion of this here and I would be happy to have it explained to me. Do the authors of these puzzles and metas ever chime in with an official explanation if there are questions?
Not looking to be a smarty, but I guess listening is one of the things you do with your ears
One world. One planet. One future.
FirstMax

Post by FirstMax »

Dennis wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:59 am I am confused. I got the correct answer, and in record time for me, but still haven't seen it's relationship with the "listen Up" theme. There doesn't seem to be much discussion of this here and I would be happy to have it explained to me. Do the authors of these puzzles and metas ever chime in with an official explanation if there are questions?
Yes, I agree there didn’t seem to be much coherence this week. I looked above the ears which would make sense with the title, but when that didn’t work I looked at the beginning and the end just because. Per your question, yes they do sometimes weigh in. Once a constructor apologized on this site because some solvers had found another plausible answer and he said that shouldn’t happen.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

FirstMax wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:25 pm
Yes, I agree there didn’t seem to be much coherence this week. I looked above the ears which would make sense with the title, but when that didn’t work I looked at the beginning and the end just because. Per your question, yes they do sometimes weigh in. Once a constructor apologized on this site because some solvers had found another plausible answer and he said that shouldn’t happen.
There is slap-us-across-the-face Indicator Clue & ENTRY at 66 Across: In one EAR and out the other (how a word may travel through someone’s brain—or through this puzzle grid) and, yes, we listen with our ears. Anything more succinct and I'd expect them to submit our answers for us. IMHO YMMV

Abide

Post by Abide »

OP @Dennis makes a valid point. A better title would be “Listen In”.

YMMV indeed.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

OGuyDave wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:14 am
LadyBird wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:17 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm Done and done. Waiting on a printer ink delivery (where are you, Amazon?) so I worked it online just before 5PM Thursday. Had the meta less than one minute after the fill. Hey, maybe there's a spot over there?

Just got back from Six-Mile Cypress Preserve in Fort Myers with Mrs. OGD and a houseguest. Incredible place to see southwest Florida wildlife. Egrets, four different types of herons, big gators, baby gators, anhingas, turtles and a snake. Yee-hah!

TFTXWD
Love Six-Mile Cypress Slough. When my folks were alive, they snow-birded in Fort Meyers. Their condo backed up to the slough. I loved to sit on the lanai and watch the birds. Sweet memories.
Um, um. Sweet WHAT?
Intentional?
Oh, that was definitely not intentional! In fact, I am rather mortified now at my word choice. It is easier than you think to post a spoiler! Your post just did bring back sweet memories of visiting my folks every winter, so I said it without even thinking.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Abide wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:57 pm OP @Dennis makes a valid point. A better title would be “Listen In”.

YMMV indeed.
{*click* the pic}Image
BillGlasgow

Post by BillGlasgow »

Had the correct eight letters but switched the last two so that the last four letters would correspond to the last word of the “listen up” title. Unfortunately, not the anagram answer they chose.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BillGlasgow wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:50 pm Had the correct eight letters but switched the last two so that the last four letters would correspond to the last word of the “listen up” title. Unfortunately, not the anagram answer they chose.
Nor did you choose clue order, which is used often.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Listen up! Pay attention! Commit what I'm about to say to your memories. I'm only going to say this once.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:15 pm
BillGlasgow wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:50 pm Had the correct eight letters but switched the last two so that the last four letters would correspond to the last word of the “listen up” title. Unfortunately, not the anagram answer they chose.
Nor did you choose clue order, which is used often.
Given his screen name, I am guessing Bill (like me) is a Brit and therefore, switching the last two letters correctly spells memorise? :)
One world. One planet. One future.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Does anyone have any memories of this?
Listen Up.JPG
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Finally had a look at the answer this morning. Doh! I missed the big fat clue at 66A, might could have figured it out if I'd remembered that hint. As for last week's, even after seeing the answer and reading the explanation, I still couldn't get it. Back on the boat for another circuit. See y'all next weekend!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Annabelle wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 am Finally had a look at the answer this morning. Doh! I missed the big fat clue at 66A, might could have figured it out if I'd remembered that hint. As for last week's, even after seeing the answer and reading the explanation, I still couldn't get it. Back on the boat for another circuit. See y'all next weekend!
I missed 66A also, but having highlighted all appearances of “ear” in the completed grid I found the answer just jumped out.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

It is always interesting to learn what some see and some don't see. As I slogged through the grid, this was a rare (only?) instance that, when I got to 66A, I knew exactly what I was looking for before I finished the grid.