#714 - “Smooth Solving Ahead”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Polar Star

Post by Polar Star »

18 Down must be a mistake, yes?
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:46 pm Beamed up. Week Ones are... I dunno... a little unsatisfying? (no big click)

Also - 3 people right AT the release time? Yeah, I'm not playing that game. That's nuts!
That's wild! People know their stuff, solve really fast, and make quick connections!

After the almost-week-2 DRIFT, I'll gladly take this Week 1, hahaha.

(I always say it, but let's see if this one could be a record-breaker!)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Beamed up! Leaving me time to get back to the WSJ meta. 🤔
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up, and with WSJ done, hoping Evan Birnholz has something good cooked up for tomorrow!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Boy... did I get off to a late start.... Doesn't matter I guess.

(I had more trouble with the grid than matt probably intended. But a simple week 1 meta)

#381.... I was suspecting worse considering how long I dallied before getting to it.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed up. Hopefully giving me some confidence as I return to Chris’ and Dr. Tom’s metas which have eluded me so far in spite of how easy they seem to be for others.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Worked as fast as I could and made it into the top 350.
Jay
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Beamed up at #329. Beaming up took awhile through these asperitas clouds over Nebraska.
(Don’t even look real, do they?)
5BD57E6C-A75E-4AD6-9CEF-F6C08B901075.jpeg
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Beamed up at 413! With this and the WSJ done, I guess I’ll give the MMMM a try. I’m not sure my music knowledge is vast enough for that however.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Beamed up. Officially out of puzzles for the weekend. Productivity will surely improve.
stmv

Post by stmv »

patpatchica wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:45 am Beamed up at 413! With this and the WSJ done, I guess I’ll give the MMMM a try. I’m not sure my music knowledge is vast enough for that however.
I encourage you to give the MMMM a try. My musical knowledge basically stopped in 1968, but I'm still able do the majority of the MMMMs, with some assistance from Google. It's better to hop onto the MMMM train now, early in the year, while the metas are still fairly easy.
Barney

Post by Barney »

My knowledge of sports is so vast I actually had to look up a list of Winter Olympic hosts to spot (fortunately easily) the answer.
woozy

Post by woozy »

patpatchica wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:45 am Beamed up at 413! With this and the WSJ done, I guess I’ll give the MMMM a try. I’m not sure my music knowledge is vast enough for that however.
Musical knowledge may help here and there but it certainly isn't necessary.

However I gave up on this because... well, once a month it was easy to forget, but mainly, although my musical knowledge was plenty good enough, my lack of musical ... passion... made it just not that interesting or fun. I liked the word play but it was always about.... music.

That said I found them to be among the best constructed puzzles anywhere.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

woozy wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:58 pm

However I gave up on this because... well, once a month it was easy to forget, but mainly, although my musical knowledge was plenty good enough, my lack of musical ... passion... made it just not that interesting or fun. I liked the word play but it was always about.... music.

I love the MMMM, but I totally get this. If there was a monthly Shakespeare meta I probably wouldn’t be so quick to do it.
woozy

Post by woozy »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:05 pm

I love the MMMM, but I totally get this. If there was a monthly Shakespeare meta I probably wouldn’t be so quick to do it.
Thing is I forgot about it one or two months so I couldn't get that on going yearlong contest thing (what a commitment!) and so... that and my lack of ... passion... was enough to make me stop. It's not like I don't like music and am not knowledgeable in it (FWIW I *loved* and adore the "Let It Be" Beatles meta... I really like[but "love" would be an overstatement] the Beatles). I just don't have that "Rock and Roll will save your soul" and "What music did you listen to as a teenager? Didn't that define who you were?" attitude.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I also love MMMM and I also understand this. I've heard it from others too. When Matt decided to do a theme month last October, I thought it was wise that he chose "10" as a theme rather than any particular subject matter.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

This our first MGWCC and I think we may have the answer. How do we check if we are correct?
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ship4u wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:44 pm This our first MGWCC and I think we may have the answer. How do we check if we are correct?
https://crosswordfiend.com/2022/02/08/m ... ore-134314
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Stay tuned for the MMMMM: Mikey's Maddening, Mindless Mathematical Meta
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

ship4u wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:44 pm This our first MGWCC and I think we may have the answer. How do we check if we are correct?
On Matt's website - https://xwordcontest.com/ - there's a form to submit your answer.

Just above that is the leaderboard. The "This Week" tab shows everyone who has submitted a correct answer so far and at the bottom has the time it was last updated. You can keep an eye on that to see if you were right.

When a contest is active, the "Overall" tab shows everyone who has submitted an answer. (This can be useful with tricky contests to get an idea how many got the wrong answer.)

So if your ID is on "This Week" you got it. If you're on "Overall" but not on "This Week" you were wrong. And if you're not on either, Matt hasn't updated since you submitted or your submission didn't go through and you should try again.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)