#714 - “Smooth Solving Ahead”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

The postponement put it right in the middle of class, and since I foolishly finished teaching rather than pause in the middle I'm on the board at #105 :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Oh, she isn’t THAT cute.

All right ... adorable! 🙂

Beamed!

I tried downs only. Fun! Still have four squares to figure.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

TMart wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:07 pm Ha! My no-look guess was no good in shooting for that 1-Across.
I'm guessing I had your guess in mind while I was refreshing. Since I already have my #1 Across (MGWCC #702), I could afford to spend a minute on the grid to validate my second guess. Glad I second guessed myself. I almost wish Matt wouldn't put up the title and prompt before the puzzle drops... that's actually how I got my #1 Across.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Late to the game because I was lunching with my fifth-grade teacher, whom I hadn't seen since 1968. What a trip down memory lane!
Waiting to see if I'm on the leaderboard.
EDIT: And there I am!
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Beamed up at #109 - first time ever submitting my guess before finishing the puzzle. Gonna be a crowded spaceship this week!!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

My first MGWCC solve - fun puzzle, and if I’m getting the wording right for this board, I’ve been beamed up.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Easy.

Energize.

Drink.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Beamed up. This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I took a break from work at 12... Waited... Took a break at 1:30... Waited... Had to go do other stuff at 1:45... Couldn't take another few minutes to download / solve until 10m ago, meaning I'll be lucky to break the top 200. Fine puzzle nonetheless.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MarkWoychick wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:50 pm My first MGWCC solve - fun puzzle, and if I’m getting the wording right for this board, I’ve been beamed up.
Welcome to the world of MGWCC!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:41 pm
TMart wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:07 pm Ha! My no-look guess was no good in shooting for that 1-Across.
I'm guessing I had your guess in mind while I was refreshing. Since I already have my #1 Across (MGWCC #702), I could afford to spend a minute on the grid to validate my second guess. Glad I second guessed myself. I almost wish Matt wouldn't put up the title and prompt before the puzzle drops... that's actually how I got my #1 Across.
That's what I was shooting for. I should have focused more on both title and prompt, but even if I got it right, it sounds like there's lots of Muggles with itchier trigger fingers than mine. You can really have fun with these week 1's when there's no streak to worry about!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up!
Cindy Heisler
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Easy peasy!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Indeed, energize!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Beam me up.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Beamed up. Week Ones are... I dunno... a little unsatisfying? (no big click)

Also - 3 people right AT the release time? Yeah, I'm not playing that game. That's nuts!
The other Wendy. :roll:
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:30 pm
Sara Dacus wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:28 pm I guess the puzzle appears on Patreon before it is emailed? I was incessantly refreshing my email, but now I see some people submitted before I received it. Or did they guess? I am at home today instead of at work, and since it's a week one, I was trying to get the Quicksolver badge (which hasn't shown up on my achievements yet, but I'm hoping it will with the slightly later release . . . )
Guessed. The title and prompt were on Matt's site slightly before 1:30.
Wow - Congrats on a good guess!

I was going to ask you pretty please for the password to your secret portal into Matt's computer :lol:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Beamed up, SoCo'd up, Daniel'd up.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up (waiting for confirm). Glad I'm not trying to beat any downhill speed records on this one! Had meetings all day. And still have to work more since I'm on vacation next week, setting downhill speed records (not really) on the ski slopes of Montana. (Not a spoiler, as if you needed to be told...)

Edit: Confirmed
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! Got there late because of work. Fridays I never get to it until the afternoon.
Heidi