"One Thing Leads To Another" - February 4, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I am completely embarrassed to say how long I looked at, EARS>PARTS>OZONE>ODOR>LEAD>STAR>SEAL>ELITE>LOT>DEAL>NEW>EARS without seeing the path. I even resorted to an anagramming tool (that as it turns out gave me the answer when I went back and looked, I just didn't see it among well over a thousand possibilities). I was just about to use the nudge I was keeping in my pocket ("In case of insanity break glass") when I FINALLY saw POOL and went, "hey that is LOOP backwards and this could be a - son of a gun!"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Barney

Post by Barney »

My answer may as well be Endless Oops.

If I changed my screen name, that would be it.

This week among others.

We never got out of different rabbit holes.
ReB

Post by ReB »

DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:28 am
auee89 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 am
There's gotta be a Tiki bar somewhere named "The Sandbar," wouldn't you think?
Yes, there is! The Sandbar. Fond memories. Great watering hole without a beach in sight.
Ah yes, the serene seaside in Kansas. Used to go there after skiing in Texas....
So then you're a survivor of the last Ice Age, I presume?
Kas

Post by Kas »

Wow what a fantastic puzzle construction!!
Well, I'll be hanging out at the ship's bar this week...I wish my brain had locked onto this one, that would have been the "Click!" heard 'round the world! Alas, "sometimes you're the windshield...but sometimes, you're the bug."
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

ReB wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:40 am
DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:28 am
auee89 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 am

Yes, there is! The Sandbar. Fond memories. Great watering hole without a beach in sight.
Ah yes, the serene seaside in Kansas. Used to go there after skiing in Texas....
So then you're a survivor of the last Ice Age, I presume?
sorry, I just had to ... I spent too many of my formative years in that state.
Vintage80_sIfGodHadIntendedTexansToSki...GraphicTShirtYellowUnisexSmall-4_grande.jpg
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Did the "redacted" post have any effect on the number of Muggles making it to shore? What did it say? Just curious.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Didn't post last night, but I picked this up late Sunday due to a busy weekend and ended up making it ashore before time expired. The one that led me through was OZONE, which was such an unusual word that it caught my eye when it showed up again in the clue for 61D.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Kas wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:53 am Alas, "sometimes you're the windshield...but sometimes, you're the bug."
So true. And, one day you're the top dog, and the next day you're the fire hydrant. Been there.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

woozy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:27 am So who's willing to admit they figured out the theme and know the letters in the correct order and knew they just had to find the starting point so it spelled a two word phrase (and maybe they were thinking of mobius strips and ouroborous while they were looking because they knew they had and endless loop) and you had all that....... and it still took them over a minute to get it. Who's willing to admit that?

I'm not. But if it happened to anyone (and it totally didn't happen to me) it'd be interesting if they'd be willing to admit it.
The grid was easy and the connection between clues/answers jumped at me pretty quickly as I was filling out the grid. Once i put those words in a column the answer was quick even if had it backwards as many other people reported. I equate this and many other metas to those 3D pictures that were very popular in the late 80s: you may be able to see it right away but if you don't, the more you stare at it the more confused you get (and the latter more often than not is where I typically fall).Just my $0.02.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
KayW

Post by KayW »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:00 am There's gotta be a Tiki bar somewhere named "The Sandbar," wouldn't you think?
Well, it's not a tiki bar :( But I should be 5 miles north of this one sometime tomorrow :fingers_crossed::fingers_crossed: As good a reason as any to check it out...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Only a Muggle could understand why I snapped this photo at an Outdoors Expo on Saturday.
Attachments
ozone.jpg
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

KayW wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:43 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:00 am There's gotta be a Tiki bar somewhere named "The Sandbar," wouldn't you think?
Well, it's not a tiki bar :( But I should be 5 miles north of this one sometime tomorrow :fingers_crossed::fingers_crossed: As good a reason as any to check it out...
Well, sure... research and all.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:44 pm
Well, sure... research and all.
The food booze and music don't hurt, either ;)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Dennis wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:58 am Did the "redacted" post have any effect on the number of Muggles making it to shore? What did it say? Just curious.
The redacted part mentioned having 11 letters & not being able to make sense of them until looked at backward.

I saw it early & removed the hard bump (i.e. much more than a 'nudge') before many could read it. It's a reminder to not post details of what works and what doesn't.

No harm was intended. It will happen, again. 🙂
steveb

Post by steveb »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:44 pm Only a Muggle could understand why I snapped this photo at an Outdoors Expo on Saturday.
And that slogan is an ENDLESS LOOP, too!
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is ENDLESS LOOP. Eleven
Across answers are the last words in the clues for
other Across answers (like EARS at 1-Across, the
last word of “Wet behind the ears,” the clue for
NEW at 33-Across, which in turn is the last word of
the clue at 45-Across, “Word after square or New”).
Those 11 pairs form a continuous chain, with their
first letters spelling the appropriate contest answer.

Happy February! As noted inn your comments, this was a pretty breathtakingly ingenious construction by Mike. We had a great turnout--1423 entries, about 91% correct, well above our usual level around 75%. Incorrect answers included SEAL THE DEAL (4), A CHORUS LINE (2), ROCK AND ROLL (2), and sundry others.

Congrats to this week's winner, Ed Snyder of Pennington, NJ!
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I haven't been to Cunard's Sandbar, but I have been to that Tampico Meat Market just across the parking lot, and I can confirm that they have some great tacos, burritos, and tortas for take-away!

We have a Sandbar in Mission Beach in San Diego which unfortunately isn't a tiki bar, but is within stumbling distance of the beach. I've also been to The Sandbar in Virginia Beach, which seemed like the kind of place that lets sixteen year-old kids drink!
BillGlasgow

Post by BillGlasgow »

My 11-letter answer was “Irma La Douce”. The puzzle title was “one thing LEADs to another.” Elizabeth SEAL was the LEAD in the HIT MUSICAL “IRMA la Douce”. IRMA and SEAL are appear as two answers in the upper right corner, one atop (or leading to) the other. HITMUSICAL and LEAD are in the bottom right corner.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

While I had noticed that the puzzle breaks the rule not to reuse words, I'd also noticed that there's Navy SEAL and hidden in the puzzle is SEA, onAIR, and LANDs. SEAL is an abbreviation for those 3 words. 61A mentions PARTS for Ozone, so I thought that maybe 3 parts making up something was the mechanism. It took me a little while to figure out that it's not actually part of the puzzle.

At least when I went back to my first idea I wrote down the letters in the correct direction.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I was glad Mike was up to his old tricks of linking clue words to grid words, since it’s always one of the first things I look for *in a Mike meta.
*Newbies take note.
I was hung up like many of you after a too short dip into that POOL, but the other half of Team Maine found it right away.

Coming up here yesterday to a choice in the endless loop of snowshoe trails in our woods
930C26A8-1AC1-4819-A6DD-2BE40C819B89.jpeg