"One Thing Leads To Another" - February 4, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

I ended up with the letters in this order - POOLSSELDNE. I stayed stuck there for some hours until I figured out it actually spelled something backwards. I guess it really was an endless loop for me. :lol:
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

I solved it a little differently. I found the 11 pairs, then started at 1a:

EARS—> NEW
NEW—>DEAL
DEAL—>LOT
LOT—>ELITE
ELITE—>SEAL
SEAL—>STAR
STAR—>LEAD
LEAD—>ODOR
ODOR—>OZONE
OZONE—PARTS
PARTS—>EARS

When I discovered it I yelled “Endless loop” and my 8 year old thought I yelled “endless poop.” That gave us all a good laugh tonight.
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 am Very elegant, but a bear to make I'll bet. Nice job Mike (and lovely graphic Joe)
Really? I think it'd be one of the easier ones to make. You just need 11 words starting with the letters you want and make clues that end in those words. I guess you might have a hard time constructing a clue for PARTS that ends with the word "ozone" but that's probably a relatively easy part of making a crossword (which I've never made and which as seem utterly impossible and pure magic that I'm astonished anyone can make a four by four grid much less a 15 by 15 one.... every day)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

So who's willing to admit they figured out the theme and know the letters in the correct order and knew they just had to find the starting point so it spelled a two word phrase (and maybe they were thinking of mobius strips and ouroborous while they were looking because they knew they had and endless loop) and you had all that....... and it still took them over a minute to get it. Who's willing to admit that?

I'm not. But if it happened to anyone (and it totally didn't happen to me) it'd be interesting if they'd be willing to admit it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Gman

Post by Gman »

woozy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:27 am So who's willing to admit they figured out the theme and know the letters in the correct order and knew they just had to find the starting point so it spelled a two word phrase (and maybe they were thinking of mobius strips and ouroborous while they were looking because they knew they had and endless loop) and you had all that....... and it still took them over a minute to get it. Who's willing to admit that?

I'm not. But if it happened to anyone (and it totally didn't happen to me) it'd be interesting if they'd be willing to admit it.
I went the wrong way and for the life of me could not figure out what POOLSSELDNEP meant, and even that took me a while to get. Finally the light went off that POOL had to be LOOP, and the rest fell into place quickly. But I admit, it definitely took more than a minute. :oops:
KayW

Post by KayW »

I got as far as POOLSSELDNE on Thursday afternoon and didn’t see ENDLESS LOOP until Saturday 😖

A beautifully autological meta.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

C=64 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 am My first result was POOLSSELDNE.
Me too!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I was saved again by Tina's list of hints in Come Aboard!...FAQs - Community/Solving Resources...Hints for Solving Metas Contests...post #11....thanks, @Tina ! After seeing the common words in the grid and the clues, it took an embarrassingly long time to figure out the correct order for the letters.
Cynthia
ReB

Post by ReB »

That was the sandbar I hit once I saw the pattern (since I expected that the answer would start with 1A). Floundered for a moment and then decided to try the other direction, and that took me ashore.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

ReB wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:32 am
That was the sandbar I hit once I saw the pattern (since I expected that the answer would start with 1A). Floundered for a moment and then decided to try the other direction, and that took me ashore.
There's gotta be a Tiki bar somewhere named "The Sandbar," wouldn't you think?
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Fun and creative Meta. Similarly to others had something at first like EPOOLS SELDN, knew I was on the right path, but worried that there was some Latin translation I was going to have to do... Watching too much of The Lost Symbol I guess. On to some FIFA Club World Cup watching this week.
Last edited by RDaleHall on Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:00 am There's gotta be a Tiki bar somewhere named "The Sandbar," wouldn't you think?
Although there isn't a sign in this photo, this is The Sandbar Tiki Grille in Florida. Looks like a place to be.

auee89

Post by auee89 »

Yes, there is! The Sandbar. Fond memories. Great watering hole without a beach in sight.
Kevin
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done Friday, and done, one hour before the deadline.

Struggled mightily on this one, until the magic moment. But then, like BobDylan and Inca (and it looks like many others), step two eluded me. Hey, maybe an online anagrammer can help! Sure did, instantly recognized the answer, and was able to backsolve from there. Great puzzle!

That's right! --> <-- That's wrong!

Found this comic in the papers a few days ago. Really made me laugh.

DDDarrah_20220201_1811_001.jpg

TFTXWD
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

woozy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:27 am So who's willing to admit they figured out the theme and know the letters in the correct order and knew they just had to find the starting point so it spelled a two word phrase (and maybe they were thinking of mobius strips and ouroborous while they were looking because they knew they had and endless loop) and you had all that....... and it still took them over a minute to get it. Who's willing to admit that?
I can't believe how lucky i was. After seeing the common words in the clues and grid, I started with 1A, wrote down "Ears", and continued from there. I thought it was designed to be that clear.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

I picked up the puzzle late Sunday and solved the meta at precisely 10:12pm MT… 12 minutes too late! I spent way too much time looking in the wrong places, thus at 9:59pm I was still missing an D and an S in the ENDLESS LOOP, leading me to randomly submit THE NEW ELITE even thought I knew it was incorrect. A few minutes after the deadline, I realized the loop was endless with both a sigh and a smile as I put it all together.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Interestingly, saw this comic in the Friday paper. Gave me a chuckle.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:18 am
DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 am Very elegant, but a bear to make I'll bet. Nice job Mike (and lovely graphic Joe)
Really? I think it'd be one of the easier ones to make. You just need 11 words starting with the letters you want and make clues that end in those words. I guess you might have a hard time constructing a clue for PARTS that ends with the word "ozone" but that's probably a relatively easy part of making a crossword (which I've never made and which as seem utterly impossible and pure magic that I'm astonished anyone can make a four by four grid much less a 15 by 15 one.... every day)
The trick is getting 11 words that HAVE to be in the grid somewhere and making the grid fit all of them without ending up with clues that demand you know Sanskrit spellings of chemical compounds.

Trust me, a lot of my ideas have ended up in smoking piles because what seemed like it ought to be easy at Noon by 2:00 AM was a source for a litany of words I learned in the Navy.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:23 am
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:00 am There's gotta be a Tiki bar somewhere named "The Sandbar," wouldn't you think?
Although there isn't a sign in this photo, this is The Sandbar Tiki Grille in Florida. Looks like a place to be.

OK Meg, go check it out for us - perhaps a stopping point on the way to the beach if you get caught in an endless loop?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

auee89 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 am
Yes, there is! The Sandbar. Fond memories. Great watering hole without a beach in sight.
Ah yes, the serene seaside in Kansas. Used to go there after skiing in Texas....