15. Match Game

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I am not discouraged - I appreciate the kind words, but if you make a clunker, you have to own it, haha. It'll make me better in the process, and that's what I tell my students all the time! So I'll dust myself off, learn from it, and continue. I appreciate all feedback from both sides, as that's how we grow, and I truly mean that.

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thanks for the rescue, Mikey --( particularly since I still have not signed on for the MGWCC!)
But as always, I enjoyed solving your fun grid anyway -- so there! :D
boharr

Post by boharr »

We love your stuff. Simple as that.
rjy

Post by rjy »

No sweat, Mikey. I’m only several months in with this wonderful community of muggles and so appreciate the puzzles and banter. I fully expect - and hope - that every so often somebody’s going to try something that’s too too out there, if only to know you folks are stretching the bounds of what you can do with metas. Thanks for the save, tho, and look forward to the next one. Cheers!
Ray
MMe

Post by MMe »

Untitled.jpg
Darth

Post by Darth »

Praise be, I'm so glad it wasn't my color blindness again! :lol:

I solved the grid at quick speed, but then... there it sat staring back at me for hours....

It was a clever meta, but sadly I'm not as much an "insider" as I should be. Sometimes experiencing a little FOMO. Thanks for your awesome puzzle making and creativity, @MikeyG . No love lost.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Now I’m wondering if Matt's post was meant to be a hint.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:32 am Now I’m wondering if Matt's post was meant to be a hint.
Now THAT is meta!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I think this would have been okay with a different title and prompt. Maybe something like “A Year in Review” and a prompt of “That Seems Familiar”. All the titles came from 2021.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
boharr

Post by boharr »

For a title, how about "Anybody We Know?"
Darth

Post by Darth »

For me, the subtitle "Get ready to match the clues!" meant that (the four longer answers notwithstanding) I somehow needed to focus on matching pairs of clues. When I couldn't quite find a perfect match, well... :shock:
Attachments
matching socks.jpg
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

I've found myself thinking a fair amount about this.
I also spent a good amount of time trying to solve the meta (partly inspired by the fact that Matt had solved it) but I hold no grudges about time wasted.

One thought that I had would be to have made it more obvious that "Matt Gaffney" was going to be the answer-- solvers would still want to find the mechanism.
Include a warning to "Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive", a clue about Ava, perhaps include the original answers in the grid (seeing "THIRTYSOMETHING" in the grid would likely have raised my eyebrow)...
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Danny-I had the same take on the subtitle. There were clues that matched (Type of ___, etc) but it never got me anywhere. I think the puzzle could have been improved with a title like “Days of Meta Past” and the last across fill being MGWCC. If everything else was the same that would have been a nice week 2-3.