#713 - “Who Are You?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We have what we think are the beginnings of something but can't figure out next steps. Any other wanna be solver want to compare notes?
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
woozy

Post by woozy »

higgysue wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:36 pm

Got it! Yay! I don’t know why that last bit took me so long.
If I'm on the right track, and I really think I am I don't see how the last step can take anything but eons.

Okay.... I need a nudge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Well, I made it to the tractor beam, but only with a number of firm nudges in the right direction. Definitely not a solo solve! Then again, I'm new to MGWCC - despite being a recent guest constructor! - so I have only experienced Gaffney puzzles when they appear in the WSJ.

(And will I ever stop referring to my guest appearance in MGWCC? It's worse than name-dropping! I won't mention it again... ;-))
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
burak

Post by burak »

I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track confirmed by too many "oh this is unmistakably part of the meta" finds, but I just cannot seem to figure out what to do with everything I have. The prompt is pretty confusing too, which is kinda throwing me off (and will make a ton of sense once I find the answer for sure lol)

Historically speaking, at this point I should stop and just go to bed and with a refreshed mind I'll find the answer within the next day or two.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Beam me up!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I'm on the right track too, but I've hit a brick wall! I'll keep looking at it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 pm Well, I made it to the tractor beam, but only with a number of firm nudges in the right direction. Definitely not a solo solve! Then again, I'm new to MGWCC - despite being a recent guest constructor! - so I have only experienced Gaffney puzzles when they appear in the WSJ.

(And will I ever stop referring to my guest appearance in MGWCC? It's worse than name-dropping! I won't mention it again... ;-))
Are you kidding me? Heck, I'd have a tattoo :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Thanks to a kind nudge, I think we have found the answer! I was definitely overthinking part of this!

Editing to add... Beamed up!
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I would love to either show a solver what I see and get confirmation about the level of wrongness in my ideas, or swap notes with another person who is in a holding pattern...Thanks!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up last night... finally! Got 90% of the way early on but just couldn’t quite get the final piece for what seemed like eons. Nice to find a helpful nudge out there (from someone who found a helpful nudge out there...)

Enjoy the games today!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay... got it with Nudges but one *REALLY* big and serious complaint.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Beamed up with a tiny nudge right at the end! I’m always in awe of Matt’s fourth week puzzles. They are simply brilliant.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

My girlfriend and I make quite the co-solving duo! Beamed up at #160!

I remember a [redacted] that used [redacted] from [redacted]. (to be un-redacted after the Tuesday deadline).
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I was about to give up on a solo solve. I started writing a plea for a gentle nudge and started listing all the dead ends I had gone down. I came to an idea I'd thought of but put aside quickly, looked at it again, and realized that it was the true path. I'm still not sure of step 3, but with two days to think about it, I may be flying solo after all.
Jay
MegB

Post by MegB »

Help! I'd take a nudge or a notes compare with anyone. I think I have the first steps, but I just can't do anything with the pieces I've got!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 pm Well, I made it to the tractor beam, but only with a number of firm nudges in the right direction. Definitely not a solo solve! Then again, I'm new to MGWCC - despite being a recent guest constructor! - so I have only experienced Gaffney puzzles when they appear in the WSJ.

Your puzzle made me hungry - and I'm always hungry for puzzles!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:08 pm Okay... got it with Nudges but one *REALLY* big and serious complaint.
One really big complaint on my puzzles is a slow day, bahaha. No spoilers, of course, but now I'm curious what that complaint is. Let us know after the deadline!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:33 pm but now I'm curious what that complaint is. Let us know after the deadline!
My complaint is that I made a dyslexic double error and I didn't have any complaint at all.

No complaint, great puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:33 pm
woozy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:08 pm Okay... got it with Nudges but one *REALLY* big and serious complaint.
One really big complaint on my puzzles is a slow day, bahaha. No spoilers, of course, but now I'm curious what that complaint is. Let us know after the deadline!
OK, I'm confused - Mikey was the MGWCC your puzzle or is woozy referring to your puzzle in this forum instead of yours?

I have not tried yours yet, I was too busy trying to find my way with Mr. G (not Google, Gaffney)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, Benchen71, when you are ready for that tattoo I've designed it for you...
mgwcc_TATTOO.jpg
and should the IMPOSSIBLE happen and I someday managed to snag a MGWCC spot, I'll join you.