#713 - “Who Are You?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Now that page 1 is out of the way, I have to say I've been looking at this puzzle on and off all day, and while I've found lots of rabbit holes to explore, none have opened out into answer. It got to the point where I had to go and create another meta just to prove that my brain was working!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:48 am Now that page 1 is out of the way, I have to say I've been looking at this puzzle on and off all day, and while I've found lots of rabbit holes to explore, none have opened out into answer. It got to the point where I had to go and create another meta just to prove that my brain was working!
In the curious world of the W. W. (That's @Wendy Walker to you, buster!) Page One only applies to the Wall Street Journal Contest Crossword.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Dang! I feel like I have all the pieces but I can’t figure out the final answer. Grrrrr. Will keep staring.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:18 am
benchen71 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:48 am Now that page 1 is out of the way, I have to say I've been looking at this puzzle on and off all day, and while I've found lots of rabbit holes to explore, none have opened out into answer. It got to the point where I had to go and create another meta just to prove that my brain was working!
In the curious world of the W. W. (That's @Wendy Walker to you, buster!) Page One only applies to the Wall Street Journal Contest Crossword.
Correct! Unlike the WSJ puzzle, the MGWCC has a leaderboard that allows us to broadcast our victories, rendering Page 1 real estate far less valuable.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up, with needed boosters.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Man oh man, I do not see ANYTHING yet. I mean, I see one thing. But I don't think it's anything. I may reach out for a nudge, or if anyone has a lovely wee nudge, I'll take it.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Worked on the grid between meetings yesterday afternoon. Found a number of enticing rabbit holes. Then family showed up for the weekend. Then kids were ready to zoom for the traditional Friday evening WSJ session. So I'm stuck on the surface, waiting for the transporter to work. Must be a problem with antimatter...
Joe

Post by Joe »

Post enlightenment! Not officially beamed aboard yet, but it's 100% when you find it.

EDIT - Beamed aboard at lucky #100
Last edited by Joe on Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Sometimes, you speak Gaffneyese; sometimes, you don't. This was one where I got a bit lucky in every step I ventured just happened to be the right one. That doesn't detract it from being a Week 4 (3.5 perhaps and maybe you can argue this is a 3 way more than you can argue DRIFT is a week 2, IMO!), but that's just the luck of the meta draw sometimes.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it. Good week 4.
twelvetones

Post by twelvetones »

Joe wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:32 am Post enlightenment! Not officially beamed aboard yet, but it's 100% when you find it.
Yep, 100%. Unmistakable once you see it. And I agree, perfect Week 3.5/4 difficulty -- just a teensy bit friendlier than usual maybe, making up for the bruiser last week.
- John Berry
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Traveling home from my sweet grandma’s funeral (103, and a half!). Exhausted. I might take a little help this week… i have two routes that both look intriguing and intended but aren’t getting to a good answer… can I bounce them off someone for a gentle nudge?

Update - got a helper .. thanks!
The other Wendy. :roll:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved and submitted. Not confirmed but confident.

EDIT: Confirmed! Beam me up. I lucked into a few things along the way and avoided going too far chasing rabbits.

I always make notes (my version of the reveal) after solving. OKAY! I'm a geek. I think that this meta was fairly involved. And that both meanings of "fairly" apply.
Last edited by lbray53 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was satisfying - beam me up please. I have not gotten confirmation but I am pretty sure that I have gained myself a trip to the transporter. I tired desperately to mess it up but kept going back to something I had tried that did not work and this time it did.

I am unofficially a happy boy!

Well this must be my lucky day! I managed to make it JUST before an update and there I am at 111. Gosh if this were a Roman Numeral thing I'd be over the moon - I'll pretend it is 3, just for a moment. Anyway I am now OFFICIALLY a happy boy
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

higgysue wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:51 am Dang! I feel like I have all the pieces but I can’t figure out the final answer. Grrrrr. Will keep staring.
Got it! Yay! I don’t know why that last bit took me so long.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

@BarbaraK confirmed I had the scent with one of my trails and said “keep looking!” — I did and tracked that rabbit down. Beam me up and throw me a bacon treat. Waiting for confirmation but I’m sure of the answer.. hoping my spotty cell coverage here in SW Va. won’t cause a submittal glitch!
The other Wendy. :roll:
metahead

Post by metahead »

Hi -- I have something -- what I think is a lot of something -- but just can't find my way to the end. I would appreciate a gentle nudge in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

YES! I could have SWORN I tried the winning metanism yesterday and got nowhere with it. Thank you, Joe and Joe Ross, for your aid. BEAM ME UP!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got it with a nudge from Wendy. Thanks friend!
Heidi