#712 - “Which Side Are You On?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

#712 - “Which Side Are You On?”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #712 — Friday, January 21st, 2022 — “Which Side Are You On?”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a five-letter verb.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

NOTE: there are no electronic files available for solving this week, just the PDF. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Good luck!

2021 PRIZE WINNERS:

They’ve all been notified and I’ve heard back from most. If you earned a MGWCC prize in 2021 and didn’t hear from me, please e-mail me at crosswordcontest@gmail.com. All prizewinners will be announced here next week!

--Matt

Join MGWCC.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Matt comments at the bottom of his page:

NOTE: there are no electronic files available for solving this week, just the PDF. Apologies for any inconvenience.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

no spoilers possible, I just printed the PDF.

[Please don't discuss individual aspects of the puzzles before deadline, even by reference.]
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

[Please don't discuss individual aspects of the puzzles before deadline, even by reference.] Really don't think that is a spoiler.
Kevin
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up! #3!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well so far I’d say this one wins the prize for the most rabbit holes EVER. Holy smokes. (I am completely lost and 74A’d.)
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:40 pm Well so far I’d say this one wins the prize for the most rabbit holes EVER. Holy smokes. (I am completely lost and 74A’d.)
And an entry in the Guiness Book of Records (and a free one for Al) for the longest clue ever

Just working on the grid
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

My streak's been fun while it lasted!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
davidb

Post by davidb »

Thought I'd celebrate what I think is my highest ever position in the weekly leaderboard (#5) by commenting in this forum for the first time!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Getting in before Al is always a treat. Now I can spend more time this weekend on weeding. Yay!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:40 pm Well so far I’d say this one wins the prize for the most rabbit holes EVER. Holy smokes. (I am completely lost and 74A’d.)
"Rabbit hole" implies at least some idea of things to look for or themes in the puzzle. So you're way ahead of me.
Jay
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Hi Joe,

Do you have a tutorial on doing crosswords in Excel? The only thing I can do is fill in the grid, and I'm not very good at that. Getting the cursor in the right square can be difficult. In puz, you can make the current square a different color, but I don't know how to do the same thing in Excel. I also have no idea what all those duplicate grids below the top one are for.

Thanks.

Jay
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:16 pm Hi Joe,

Do you have a tutorial on doing crosswords in Excel? The only thing I can do is fill in the grid, and I'm not very good at that. Getting the cursor in the right square can be difficult. In puz, you can make the current square a different color, but I don't know how to do the same thing in Excel. I also have no idea what all those duplicate grids below the top one are for.

Thanks.

Jay
There's a discussion of a lot of these tips here.

Only fill in the top grid. The lower grids fill in automatically with the top. Use the TAB or Enter keys to go from left to right & skip the block squares. I find that it's easier to use the arrow keys, particularly for vertical entries.

The lower grids are used to highlight, explore different ideas in each, build word lists to their right, etc. Hopefully, there are enough.

To highlight, bold, italicize, change fonts & color, add patterns, & change borders, click & drag the cells, right-click on the selected cells, and choose from options on pop-up menu. There are a lot of ways to alter the grid.

You can also add formatted shapes, which requires Unprotecting the spreadsheet, first. Be careful when the sheet is unprotected, it's easy to drag clue numbers out of place or make other unwanted changes. To unprotect, Review, Unprotect.

I could type out a lot of details that won't be remembered. It's easier to show, answer questions, & to have you do them in a Zoom session. Let me know if & when you'd like to give it a go. We can set a time & publicize it, here, & other muggles will be welcome to attend.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Wandering the wilderness with too many clues.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

So many red herrings! I'm pretty sure I've finally beamed up, waiting for an update.

Edit: #17!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I wonder if I spent my youth doing the wrong sort of things.

Wow... this is .... wow.

EDIT: Forgive my cursing but O. M. @ G! .... I'm ... I'm going to go for it. Wish me luck. This is one of the least sure I've ever been and if I'm right this is a week 8 or 9, not a 3.....

EDIT 2: WOOHOOO! #22. I'm not sure it has ever occurred where #22 happens after 12 1/2 hours but..... I'll just flat out say it. This one was hard.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Needed a nudge to the teleporter.

Very cool!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well then, it appears I am in rather good company out here roaming the wilderness...

I thought several times that I had a foothold only to slide off the cliff.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

This week is about as hard as below. . .
Attachments
Ikea.jpg