#712 - “Which Side Are You On?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

And hats off to YOU Hunter for the giant leap for Muggle kind! Several of us had figured out something that clearly was important in solving, but Hunter was the first spotter of the light at end of tunnel! Beam me up, along with the rest of the gang of the determined.
The other Wendy. :roll:
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

My first group solve in the Muggle Zoom Room - just lurking and listening. Being newer to solving metas, I was too intimidated to jump in, but I have to say - you guys are so talented and amazing!
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

HunterX is truly the man of the hour! It was great to see so many Muggle faces on the group solve -- thank you ALL for joining in!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Well, that was something. I may have it. It will be a tense wait.
Edit: yay!
Last edited by Orsys on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindle

Post by mindle »

Thank you for the group solve! Go HunterX!
That was my first time in the Muggle zoom room also. It was so nice to meet everyone and I'll be back for Tuesday's excel demo :)
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ditto here - first time in, a bit of a lurker, but nice to attach faces to names and to see that people are every bit as nice as I suspected they were :) Cheers!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

And X marks the Hunter! Wow, once you saw it you could not believe you hadn't seen it all along, but thankfully HunterX saw it and "Paul Revered" us all - a revered Muggle for sure.

That darn thing was BRILLIANT and more than usually Brilliant, I'm talking BRILLIANT. Diabolical to be sure, but brilliant just the same. I am envisioning Matt G sitting their almost uncontrollably laughing when it was complete.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Sorry I missed it. Sounds like it would have been fun.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:10 pm That darn thing was BRILLIANT and more than usually Brilliant, I'm talking BRILLIANT. Diabolical to be sure, but brilliant just the same. I am envisioning Matt G sitting there almost uncontrollably laughing when it was complete.
I'm nominating it for the SADdest meta to date. Wow!

Double-WOW! to @HunterX, @Meg, and all other solo-solvers!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Sorry to have missed the zoom. I was out skiing. Now I will have to figure this thing out all by myself. 🙁
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I’ve stayed away from nudges, hints and group solves, but I dropped in on the zoom meeting for this one. It was a great learning experience. Thanks to Wendy for hosting and to all the participants.
Jack Sullivan
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed up at #24 but with a nudge.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I was curious about being a fly on the wall. Did you guys solve it? I'm curious about how the aha moment felt.

Edit: I guess you must have as in the last five hours the number of solvers has gone from 36 to 84.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I found this one a real challenge. I explored several rabbit holes, but finally beamed up with a nudge.
Cindy Heisler
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

woozy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:59 pm I was curious about being a fly on the wall. Did you guys solve it? I'm curious about how the aha moment felt.

Edit: I guess you must have as in the last five hours the number of solvers has gone from 36 to 84.
There definitely weren’t 48 of us there, but yes i figured there would be a big jump soon after about 2:30. It really did not take us long… we started off right by looking at the thing the right way, focusing on the right (and not the wrong) attention-seeking bits.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

First, that Zoom call early this afternoon and now the Chiefs win! Call the EMT. This old guy can't take so much excitement in one day.
burghman

Post by burghman »

Me, Jan 1 - I resolve to solve all MGWCC’s this year
Me, when week 3 comes out - Why should this resolution be any different than the others. Oh, well, there’s always next year.

ETA - with some friendly nudges courtesy of DrTom, I can now say that my resolution is still intact. I never told myself they had to be solo solves :)
Last edited by burghman on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Mr. Gaffney, this one's for you:
Youre diabolical.jpg
but I'm on your side....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Well, assuming the answer I submitted is correct, that was waaaay harder than my guest puzzle from last week. Talk about a jump from week 2 to week 3!

This was my first time submitting to MGWCC, btw. Talk about a baptism by fire!

I don't think this is a spoiler, but did anyone else notice that the entry in the bottom left corner of "Which Side Are You On?" was the same as the entry in the bottom left corner of "Eating In Bed"? Spooky coincidence - or does Matt also have a mega meta going on?!?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:15 am Well, assuming the answer I submitted is correct, that was waaaay harder than my guest puzzle from last week. Talk about a jump from week 2 to week 3!

This was my first time submitting to MGWCC, btw. Talk about a baptism by fire!

I don't think this is a spoiler, but did anyone else notice that the entry in the bottom left corner of "Which Side Are You On?" was the same as the entry in the bottom left corner of "Eating In Bed"? Spooky coincidence - or does Matt also have a mega meta going on?!?
Don't 81A.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!