#712 - “Which Side Are You On?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The zoom solve was really fun. I was glad to hear some interesting theories, other than my own.

It turns out I had the idea for the mechanism but did not carry it through. Some of my attempts at applying the mechanism were quite humorous in retrospect.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:11 am Mr. Gaffney, this one's for you:

Youre diabolical.jpg

but I'm on your side....
Interesting you found that image with that caption. As a former devotee of the Warner Brothers collection (think kid in the 70's glued to the TV after school until his mother came home and forced him to do homework), the "standard" line of Daffy's was, as I recall, "You're dithhhhhh-picable." (Picture the flecks of spittle accompanying the sound of Daffy's lispy 'th' sound for the 's'.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:27 am

Youre diabolical.jpg

but I'm on your side....
Interesting you found that image with that caption. As a former devotee of the Warner Brothers collection (think kid in the 70's glued to the TV after school until his mother came home and forced him to do homework), the "standard" line of Daffy's was, as I recall, "You're dithhhhhh-picable." (Picture the flecks of spittle accompanying the sound of Daffy's lispy 'th' sound for the 's'.)
Oh, I found the "You're Desthpicable" one but since I can alter things (should have been a vet!) I made it Diabolical because he really isn't despicable but BOY is he the other. There was no spittle harmed in the making of this cartoon.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:15 am Well, assuming the answer I submitted is correct, that was waaaay harder than my guest puzzle from last week. Talk about a jump from week 2 to week 3!

This was my first time submitting to MGWCC, btw. Talk about a baptism by fire!

I don't think this is a spoiler, but did anyone else notice that the entry in the bottom left corner of "Which Side Are You On?" was the same as the entry in the bottom left corner of "Eating In Bed"? Spooky coincidence - or does Matt also have a mega meta going on?!?
No but the one on the bottom RIGHT side was designed to test our mettle!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 am
HunterX wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:27 am

Youre diabolical.jpg

but I'm on your side....
Oh, I found the "You're Desthpicable" one but since I can alter things (should have been a vet!) I made it Diabolical because he really isn't despicable but BOY is he the other. There was no spittle harmed in the making of this cartoon.
Of course you can! And did. I knew I should've left that turn (of a phrase) as all-but-quirky....
jturnham

Post by jturnham »

A friend and I have been trying to crack this one and we can't seem to hone in on the entry point. If any kind souls would care to share a nudge that helped them it would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Jeff
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

jturnham wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:00 pm A friend and I have been trying to crack this one and we can't seem to hone in on the entry point. If any kind souls would care to share a nudge that helped them it would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Jeff
Sent PM.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I am so close but feel I must be so far? Hmmm.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ajk

Post by ajk »

Sorry I missed the group solve. I've been a bit out of it meta-wise with last week being the start of classes. Haven't even had time to check in here before now. Hopefully I can be more attentive going forward. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'd decided that this year I'm going to quit obsessing about solo-solving MGWCC. Didn't realized I'd get to test that resolution so soon.

But I'd spent enough time on this one. So with a nice little nudge from a very kind muggle, I gave up on all the many rabbit holes that weren't going anywhere and thought more about something I'd ignored and found my way to the transporter pad.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Pretty sure I’m gonna need a nudge. Anyone out there?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

higgysue wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:31 pm Pretty sure I’m gonna need a nudge. Anyone out there?
PM sent.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Beamed up with a nudge. Interesting mechanism! And one beauty of a clue.
Psumcoleman

Post by Psumcoleman »

Would love a nudge as well! I’m out of steam…
DaulbsLCFC

Post by DaulbsLCFC »

Would also appreciate a nudge after almost 4 days of grid staring.......
Charles Stevens

Post by Charles Stevens »

I've been staring at this beast since Friday afternoon. On the subway, during dinner, while watching football, at work, in the bathtub, even had dreams about it last night (that was a first). I've never been able to pull out a win after spending this much time with a puzzle, so I'd more or less resigned myself to starting over next week.

And then all of a sudden, there it was.
Louis D

Post by Louis D »

Can somebody send me a nudge after the deadline? Since I've spent quite a bit of time staring at this, it would be nice to look at it again with a hint before giving up and reading the solution. Thanks!
Louis D

Post by Louis D »

Louis D wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:50 am Can somebody send me a nudge after the deadline? Since I've spent quite a bit of time staring at this, it would be nice to look at it again with a hint before giving up and reading the solution. Thanks!
I just wanted to say that I just received a nudge and while I haven't solved it yet, it was exactly the sort of nudge I needed to try something completely different. That alone is satisfying enough for me at the moment.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I've now seen Joon's DNF and the answers in the chat.

Impressive.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Never would have gotten this one. Congrats to those who solved this! I found the title to be no help at all, and still don't quite get what it means, or how it relates to the answer.