#712 - “Which Side Are You On?”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Like some others, I am awash in rabbit holes. There is so much going on in this one! I absolutely love the current events shoutout at 56A.

Whatever comes of my deliberations, this will be a very, very memorable puzzle. Longest clue indeed.

I'd love to watch an Excel tutorial, BTW. I use Excel all the time at work but have never applied to meta solving!

Stay well all.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Is anyone up for a group solve tomorrow (Sunday)? I would be happy to host.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Streroto wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:18 pm
I'd love to watch an Excel tutorial, BTW. I use Excel all the time at work but have never applied to meta solving!
This Tuesday, January 25th, 8:30 PM ET / 5:30 PM PT & following the weekly Muggle Zoom meeting, there will be a Zoom session discussing the use of the graphical tools within Excel (& the spreadsheet forms I create for various meta puzzles discussed on this site*) to solve metas.

We can also discuss other on-screen graphical tools that can be used.

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room link (above left) to enter.
Muggle Zoom Room .png

Arrive an hour earlier and join the XWord Muggles weekly Zoom fun, which goes for an hour, then stay to discuss Excel.

*I PM a link to the weekly MGWCC Excel form to subscribers who request them. Send a PM to me to request this, please, along with 'Your UNIQUE nickname' used to submit your MGWCC answers.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Nowhere close. This will be one of those reveals where Matt will say "Sure didn't think it was going to be as tough as all THAT!" After which I will quietly weep while pouring myself another, even though it's Tuesday at noon.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:13 pm Is anyone up for a group solve tomorrow (Sunday)? I would be happy to host.
Depending on timing... I might be able to attend but I have absolutely nothing to contribute at this time.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:13 pm Is anyone up for a group solve tomorrow (Sunday)? I would be happy to host.
Yes definitely! Count me in please.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I've never joined one of these but I'd like to! I'm free tomorrow and completely lost. :lol:
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Tell me when and where, and I’ll be there (cuz i have little hope of solving before then!). Preferably after 1pm please!
The other Wendy. :roll:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I'm also interested. Just let me know the time and I'll try to make it.

Have a number of rabbit holes that seemed to go no where. May glance at them some more.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Yes please! I have found something but am not even sure if it is relevant.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
sheeparenotgreen

Post by sheeparenotgreen »

Interested depending on timing too!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

All MGWCC's with under 150 since mid-August '20:

MASS IN B MINOR, 115
JACK DANIELS, 127
THIRTYSOMETHING, 131
CHANGE YOUR ANSWER, 132
TOP HAT, 133
ZAIRE, 133
ORBIT, 149

We'll see where this one lands! (I work all day tomorrow - or I'd hop on that call!)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Thank you for such a great response! 2 p.m. EST tomorrow (Sunday) will be our group solve. Just click on "Muggle Zoom Room" under Isaac's picture at the top of the page. ALL Muggles are more than welcome!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Me! I’ve never been in the Muggle Zoom Room! I’m not sure how much help I can be though. I’m not seeing much yet in the puzzle.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

more than happy to join, depends on the time, I have some furniture that needs to be moved around (new bookcases).

I'm on the same boat as pat-pat, lots of rabbits that so far haven't led anywhere that I can say is correct.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
burak

Post by burak »

There are times when I look at a Week 4 or Week 5 meta and think "yeah there is no way I'll solve this" and that's the end of the story. Yet I don't remember ever being intimidated by a meta this much. I did the most obvious thing to do and now I'm just scared to even try something lol.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

patpatchica wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:55 pm
Me! I’ve never been in the Muggle Zoom Room! I’m not sure how much help I can be though. I’m not seeing much yet in the puzzle.
Please join. If any of us saw much in the puzzle, we would be not be fumbling and stumbling. Very often something creates the aha moment in real time. And if you think or see anything, please do not be afraid to speak up.

This is for veterans and newbies and anyone who is interested.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:51 pm Thank you for such a great response! 2 p.m. EST tomorrow (Sunday) will be our group solve. Just click on "Muggle Zoom Room" under Isaac's picture at the top of the page. ALL Muggles are more than welcome!
And as a bonus, you will get to put names with faces. And you will probably see Wendy's cat.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I popped into the zoom room 15 minutes late, and it sounded like y'all had it solved, so I left because I didn't want to hear the answer outright, without having worked on it. Good work. I'll keep trying.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Thanks @Wendy Walker for arranging the zoom! It was great to actually see many of you for the first time.