"Abstract Art" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :art: Answer confirmed... now, to find the mechanism!

EDIT: Got it - Nice one, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the list of solvers I woke up to this morning!

kieranjboyd
whimsy
Laura M
Dow Jones
Jeremy Smith
Will
spid4567
Cinny
Mike D
Capn Rick
Dplass
comp
Tom Wilson
boharr
woozy
Meg
Carolyn
wendy walker
Bird Lives
MamaEllen
Idriss Z
Mwoychick
CAe39
CPJohnson
markhr
Last edited by benchen71 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:44 pm For those of you who worked the answer out from the hints provided: there definitely is a mechanism in the grid to be found!
Definitely, but as I said in my comment to Meg, it helps if you speak Strine.
Jay
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it; thanks, Ben!
Cynthia
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Moat crossed. Found the answer from the clues first and then got the mechanism.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:52 pm Awaiting confirmation from Ben (what, he's not awake at 4:52 am Aussie time?), but confident.
Lesson: Don’t be over-confident. Turns out I was a little off. But not far. NOW the castle has been stormed. Thanks, Ben!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I guessed the answer from the hints but have not figured out the mechanism yet. I have some ideas but strictly from backsolving. I would never have seen them without knowing the answer. Even then, I cannot make anything fit.

I am not seeking nudges at this point. I will work on this until the promised Saturday spoilers arrive.

EDIT: I finally found it. I never would have found the mechanism without knowing the answer. I was not familiar with the art. I tried some interesting things! Bird Lives' comment helped me find the last bit.
Last edited by lbray53 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:44 pm For those of you who worked the answer out from the hints provided: there definitely is a mechanism in the grid to be found!
I am unfortunately in this camp, got it but don't have it. RATS! Obviously my painting isn't finished...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm on holidays at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to update the list of solvers. But here we go...

Sharkicicles
KayW
andeux
Bbaack
LB800
BarbaraK
Totally the real and not fake Benchen71
19 second respawn times
lbray53
LuckyGuest
Hector
cshabsin
V
Byron
Puzzling Programmer
BobJas
LBintheBK
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:09 pm
And Meg had to google "Strine".
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Meg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:30 am
Bird Lives wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:09 pm
And Meg had to google "Strine".
Yes, well, on the page it appears as "Australian," but that's not how it's pronounced, at least not in Mailben and other large cities. My introduction to it was decades ago -- a book called Let Stalk Strine, by Afferbeck Lauder (the entries were in what we call "alphabetical order.") He later did one on upper class British speech, a dialect he dubbed "Fraffly." The book was Fraffly Well Spoken, as in "He's fraffly well spoken." (On the page, it's "frightfully.")
Jay
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I love those books! I live here and Let Stalk Strine was still hard to understand. ;-)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update before the nudges:

frostyjhammer
Golem
Tonearm
sea
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are lots of theme entries in the grid which should assist with the identity of the artist in question.

2. The name of the painting is suggested by the four longest entries which are all vertical.

3. One of the long entries turns on Australian English usage; but the other three should be international.

And if you missed an earlier post, the 1 across you want is in Australia.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

This Tuesday, January 25th, 8:30 PM ET / 5:30 PM PT & following the weekly Muggle Zoom meeting, there will be a Zoom session discussing the use of the graphical tools within Excel (& the spreadsheet forms I create for various meta puzzles discussed on this site) to solve metas.

We can also discuss other on-screen graphical tools that can be used.

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room link (above left) to enter.

Arrive an hour earlier and join the XWord Muggles weekly Zoom fun, which goes for an hour, then stay to discuss Excel.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Made several wrong guesses on Crosshare before coming here. Bird comments more helpful than the nudges :lol:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here are the last of the solvers before the answer reveal...

Matt A
Jack Sullivan
prog plus chat
Shalaka
ImOnToo
Abide
Gutman

Well done everyone! 54 people made it to the answer which is...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer to "Abstract Art":

Abstract Art (solution).png

Some people went looking in the wrong NGA (1A). The NGA I was referring to is the National Gallery of Australia. It also seems that many people solved the puzzle based on the hints, rather than the meta mechanic. Initially, I had asterisked the 4 long entries and the meta prompt was something like "a painting suggested by the asterisked entries". But then I thought that would be too easy, that it would be better for solvers to consider the long entries (a tactic that should definitely be in your meta-solving process) and then realise that they all had something in common.

Here's a link to the [url=https://nga.gov.au/exhibitions/jackson- ... s/painting in question[/url].
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

BLEU and MARLIN helped me too, even if they weren't intended to -- especially with a name like Pollock!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

whimsy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:16 pm BLEU and MARLIN helped me too, even if they weren't intended to -- especially with a name like Pollock!
Those entries were entirely unintentional, just appearing in the fill. ;-)