#711 - “Eating in Bed” by Ben Chenoweth

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
burghman

Post by burghman »

Was the common incorrect answer mentioned previously “split peas”? Thinking maybe because the stray “P”s that aren’t used in down answers “split” those answers.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

burghman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 pm Was the common incorrect answer mentioned previously “split peas”? Thinking maybe because the stray “P”s that aren’t used in down answers “split” those answers.
I'm guessing it was submitting SNACK instead of SNACKS? I didn't make that mistake here, but I'm pretty sure I left an S off a WSJ meta answer once.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

For what it's worth, here is my solution graphic:

Eating In Bed (solution).png

One thing that some people seem to have missed is that the tricky Ps all appear in food. This is why the Ps in PRINCESS AND THE P are not involved in the meta mechanic.

The idea was that you had to be like the Princess in the story. The down entries completely ignore the Ps. But you have to be sensitive to their presence, which should then draw your attention to what is directly above them (given the bed/food pairs).

If you enjoyed the puzzle - and the occasional Australianism! - then please check out my weekly MOAT puzzle. This week, we're exploring the art world of the 20th century!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Alex Boisvert

Post by Alex Boisvert »

burghman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 pm Was the common incorrect answer mentioned previously “split peas”? Thinking maybe because the stray “P”s that aren’t used in down answers “split” those answers.
By far the most common wrong answer was "PEAS." SNACK was accepted as correct.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Did anyone else find the solution that Matt posted kind of confusing?

The way I solved it was just noticing the extra Ps in the down answers that didn't require them. I thought that was extremely obvious while solving the grid because some of them made complete nonsense entries like CPAB and SPEA and HENPS. So after I solved the grid, I just went back and found all those extra Ps and noticed that if you took the letter above them it spelled SNACKS.

There was not a single time that I even noticed the food entries in the grid, or the bed entries.