#711 - “Eating in Bed” by Ben Chenoweth

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm REALLY enjoyed that one! Thank you, Ben, and congrats! By the way, does anyone else but members of my family eat pancakes with just butter, no 46A?
I like 46A, but on oatmeal, and I only like pancakes (and waffles) with nothing on them, preferably as a finger food. (I never claimed to be normal.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm... I wonder what the whiffing answer could be? The puzzle seemed pretty unwhiffable...

I mean unless you mean people eat that in bed!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm REALLY enjoyed that one! Thank you, Ben, and congrats! By the way, does anyone else but members of my family eat pancakes with just butter, no 46A?
I like 46A, but on oatmeal, and I only like pancakes (and waffles) with nothing on them, preferably as a finger food. (I never claimed to be normal.)
(And with that statement, in my book, you have just proved that you aren't. As the unofficial President of the non-existent 46A Fan Club... Shame on you! That's heresy, I say! Now give me another shot of that sweet, sweet stuff...)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

On 46A, we were at a sports bar on Sunday to watch that awful football team here in Chicago, and towards the end of the game someone ordered their brunch special, which is a nice bunch of waffles with strawberries. My wife said, "I want waffles for dinner." Well, then I was like "if it's dinner it's gotta be chicken and waffles," so we walked up to the Target a block down from the bar and bought buttermilk and chicken breast tenders. Made a nice basic waffle batter, and battered the chicken in flour, egg, and panko. An amazing dinner (with real 46A on the side) for like $10 extra from what we had on hand, and easily made and consumed by people who had been watching a terrible football game all day. :)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

This was a fun one! Submitted answer
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

My hunch and things I noticed early nearly put me in the group with the "unlucky seven" which I believe is now up to 18. It was the only think that I would eat in bed.

But, I just could not quite make it work, and then noticed something that I had missed which led me to the correct answer. Not confirmed but confident.

EDIT: Confirmed!

Beamed aboard.
Last edited by lbray53 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Congrats to Ben on a great MGWCC!

Learned a couple of new things during my solve, and had lots of fun! Beam me up!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beam me up!

Congrats, Ben! I enjoyed what Matt wrote about you. You're a busy man. How do you find time to create metas?? This was a fun one. Thanks!
Cindy Heisler
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Beamed up. Was a lot of fun, and a new constructor is always a welcome twist.

Stay well all
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:35 pm
@Wendy Walker Could that be because you don't live where they make real 46A?
Awaiting beaming aboard.
I’m with you, @Wendy Walker. Butter only please. And lots of it. Though I do like molasses on pancakes- a leftover from my growing up years.
And I’ve got you covered too, @Bob cruise director. I live REALLY close to a place where they make the REAL 46A.
Like the hardwood lot on our property where a friend at one time had a sugar shack in full operation. Our recompense was all the 46A we wanted. Looks like a lifetime supply in our cellar. 😋
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cinny wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:49 pm Beam me up!

Congrats, Ben! I enjoyed what Matt wrote about you. You're a busy man. How do you find time to create metas?? This was a fun one. Thanks!
I can tell you that work on my PhD definitely suffered over the last six months!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

On the board finally after a printer snafu and caring for a very active 14 month old grandson. Fun puzzle Ben!
Heidi
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed down under… enjoyed it Ben! Don’t know how your PhD work is suffering, but do let your committee know there’s a pretty good mob out here wanting you to stay distracted. Keep ‘em coming!
Ray
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Just got around to looking at this and enjoyed it. Probably hitting the board 450-ish. Is there a medal for the last to post?
burak

Post by burak »

I got the answer because the mechanism is quite obvious, but I don't understand how this works.

P.S.: As I was typing this I realized I was unfamiliar with "the inspiration for this meta", learned more about it and now I realize how fun this puzzle actually is LOL.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

burak wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:12 pm I got the answer because the mechanism is quite obvious, but I don't understand how this works.

P.S.: As I was typing this I realized I was unfamiliar with "the inspiration for this meta", learned more about it and now I realize how fun this puzzle actually is LOL.
This reminds me of a story - that I can't tell until Tuesday as it would be a spoiler.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
dsxwa

Post by dsxwa »

Hi all, if any solvers are able to provide a nudge to get over the last hump it would be much appreciated. Thank you!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Guess I will have to wait until the morning for an update to confirm that I beamed up to the right ship. Was stuck in a rut, stepped away for some time, then suddenly an idea struck me, which when I got back to the puzzle immediately worked out to a satisfying answer. UPDATE: confirmed.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

mgwcc-711.JPG
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:17 am Just got around to looking at this and enjoyed it. Probably hitting the board 450-ish. Is there a medal for the last to post?
Just the Buzzer Beater for solving with 5 minutes or less to go before the deadline.