"Golden Years" - January 14, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

PhantomPhan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pm We submitted Shaun White. Found the Black/White mechanism easily, but thought Betty White was too easy and looked for the road less traveled. We liked Golden Years and the Olympian references, but of course ran into brick walls with the years. Yin/Yang is two opposites make a whole, or two halves (half pipe?). Shaun White has ties to TATER and BEAST. We saw IVS (4's- Shaun's 4th) LAST IO (international Olympics). I know! I know! Sometimes once you bite your teeth into an answer, you shake the grid until you bleed out the clues you want present themselves. You know it's a stretch, but you feel a bit rabid so you don't care.

In the end, we could not yield a second mechanism for Shaun, nor Betty. Feeling grid-locked, submitted the snowboarder for better or worse.
I thought of Shaun after the fact, but given all the theme clues are entertainers, Betty works best for me.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well then, wouldn't that be a fine kettle of fish! Don't we all wish we had the benefit of this thoughtful approach before sending in our answers. This could become a famous quotation:

"Don't fire-off until you see the Whites of the wise!"

Oh, and by the way, all of us who think we know where that comes from; OCD Tom, before he posted the above, HAD to look it up. Turns out it may not have been EITHER Putnam or Prescott at the Battle of Bunker Hill, but from British admirals addressing their cannoneers. Obviously the can of worms to go with that kettle of fish.

https://allthingsliberty.com/2020/06/wh ... heir-eyes/
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JJD

Post by JJD »

I was looking in all the wrong holes because I was focused on the theme/title. I was sure it had to do with the years the Olympians won their golds, or actors won Golden Globes. Or Roman Numeral for 50 or 100…
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Regarding Shaun White, I wonder about the timing. He was in the news over the weekend while people were solving the puzzle, but was he really in the news before the puzzle was published?
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Our solvers were golden this week! We had a huge turnout, 2702, and a stupendous 92% were correct. 19 of you came up with an intriguing alternative answer SHAUN WHITE, who is also "in the news" per the instructions and even suits the title "GOLDEN YEARS" as he pursues Olympic gold. Our randomly selected entry had the correct answer, Betty White (see full explanation in Tuesday's WSJ), so we didn't need to take this one to the judges.

Other answers included VANNA WHITE (just 1 vote for her, not clear what the "golden" connection would be), DAVID BOWIE (44), KARDASHIAN (12) and BEN AFFLECK (4).

Congrats to this week's winner, Barbara Petek of Toronto, Canada!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:15 pm Congrats to this week's winner, Barbara Petek of Toronto, Canada!
Interesting. I thought the contest rules said that you needed to be a resident of the United States to participate.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Ran Through the Shadows to plant Bowie @ 75 flag on Ziggy Island. My go-to ski tune! Still in my ear.

Then I did the puzzle. Presently mounting proper flag. My son and nephews at yacht club gala.
Yacht Club Gala.png
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

JoeS wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 am
florida_manatee wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:17 am Did anybody else consider "Ben Affleck" as an answer?
Yes. But couldn't find any way to get to the two Fs. I tried for thirty minutes, then realized the truth of Black/White.
Ok, how did you come up with Ben Affleck? I'm curious on this one....
stmv

Post by stmv »

ship4u wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:24 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:15 pm Congrats to this week's winner, Barbara Petek of Toronto, Canada!
Interesting. I thought the contest rules said that you needed to be a resident of the United States to participate.
Indeed! I live in Vancouver, BC, and all this time I haven't bothered actually submitting my answers because I thought that I wouldn't be eligible. I just re-looked up the official contest rules, which say "2. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the United States, including Washington DC, who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry." So is naming someone from Toronto the winner a mistake, or was Ontario annexed to the US when I wasn't paying attention ;) ?
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

stmv wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:11 pm
Indeed! I live in Vancouver, BC, and all this time I haven't bothered actually submitting my answers because I thought that I wouldn't be eligible. I just re-looked up the official contest rules, which say "2. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the United States, including Washington DC, who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry." So is naming someone from Toronto the winner a mistake, or was Ontario annexed to the US when I wasn't paying attention ;) ?
Hmmmm, Maybe it’s a snowbird situation and this person lives 6 months in Toronto and 6 months in Florida?? For a couple of years we lived in Toronto, Canada for my husbands work assignment but we were US citizens/residents ( still owned a house in Illinois and we had year-to-year visa to be in Canada).
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

I can't anticipate Matt's rationale, but DOTTIE, BOWEN, MARTIN, CHARLIE, and even NEIL all have two syllables, like BETTY. SHAUN does not.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Clearly, the only fair way to resolve this is to award mugs to everyone who had a correct entry this week. Can't see any other way to make this right.
Matthew
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

rolias

Post by rolias »

I guess now I will say I'm on shore. Didn't feel like 100% with no rationale for the first name.
pookie

Post by pookie »

How many times has "The rule is that there ARE no rules" been stated regarding the solving of the meta?
But... apparently there ARE rules for the actual WSJ contest.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

SHAUN (the) SHEEP feels your pain.

:)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

sanmilton wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:55 pm I can't anticipate Matt's rationale, but DOTTIE, BOWEN, MARTIN, CHARLIE, and even NEIL all have two syllables, like BETTY. SHAUN does not.
The title of the puzzle follows that pattern as well. I definitely felt the 2-syllable / 1-syllable pattern was intentional.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Congrats to all players and solvers.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I was 100% satisfied with Betty White. No need to look for more confirmation. I thought it was Matt’s touching tribute to her for all the years of pleasure she has given us. How quickly we all realized the answer. And how much we realized again what a lady she was as we googled our way through her career.
B478932C-D67D-4C5E-B016-F2CEF6624151.jpeg
Attachments
EA52BD1C-1776-4070-9733-7D27B6E5BDD1.jpeg
pookie

Post by pookie »

Thanks Maine Marge.
I never got tired of seeing Betty White in any
show she was in.