Just a Number - January 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

jimmyd wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:22 am That is a legit alternate answerโ€ฆ glad everyone got credit!
@pmxwords Pete notes on crosswordfiend that there's a third answer he's happily accepting. Does anyone know what is is?
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wow!!

Despite being a :notes: :sauropod: I knew about ADELE's album titles and saw that immediately (but I googled to make sure all the numbers matched before submitting). If I hadn't known about that, I'm sure I too would have gone straight to the grid numbers in search of a mechanism. I found COUNT BASIE after people here started discussing alternates. But I don't yet see the THIRD :o mechanism/answer and am dying to learn what that is.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Pete Muller (@pmxwords) explains another accepted accidental alternate answer on fiend.

(sign me) - Annoyingly Alliterative
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Pretty sure the only reason those number titles sounded vaguely familiar to me was because of their appearances in crossword clues. Motivation to do more crosswords, I guess!
rjy

Post by rjy »

My alternate alternate was accepted: TONY BENNETT. Using the 1A ADDME, I added all the numbers and got 95, which is Tony Bennettโ€™s age, and age, after all, is โ€œjust a numberโ€.

In an earlier comment, Jay thought the younger set would have an advantage here. Maybe for Adele, but cert not for Basie or Bennett, though Lady Gaga did much to hype his 95th last year.
Ray
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

rjy wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:45 pm My alternate alternate was accepted: TONY BENNETT. Using the 1A ADDME, I added all the numbers and got 95, which is Tony Bennettโ€™s age, and age, after all, is โ€œjust a numberโ€.
CORRECTION: You added all the numbers appearing in the Across theme entries, not all the numbers. ๐Ÿ™‚ Adding all the numbers gets 96.

TONY BENNETT is still an excellent solution!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
boharr

Post by boharr »

My alternate answer was Tony Bennett as well.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:49 pm
rjy wrote: โ†‘Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:45 pm My alternate alternate was accepted: TONY BENNETT. Using the 1A ADDME, I added all the numbers and got 95, which is Tony Bennettโ€™s age, and age, after all, is โ€œjust a numberโ€.
CORRECTION: You added all the numbers appearing in the Across theme entries, not all the numbers. ๐Ÿ™‚ Adding all the numbers gets 96.

TONY BENNETT is still an excellent solution!
I asked Pete that if he was going to approve this answer to hurry up and do it before August when Tony turned 96 and Iโ€™d lose my claim. Sounds like I had another year to play with :lol:
Ray