Just a Number - January 2022

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I submitted the “official” alternate solution, which I actually think goes beautifully with the theme and prompt. But the path to get there was a bit convoluted. Now that I found the true solution (with a helpful nudge) I can’t believe I didn’t see it right away. So simple, but it does help to have the relevant knowledge.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

On the board!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Had the "alternate" answer first. Then went back and figured out the intended answer.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On the board. (Another muggling while walking insight.)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Louis D wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:37 pm Thanks to those of you who PMed me about the alternate solution. It turns out that @rjy and I came up with the same alternate alternate. In fact, I think you could make the case that the alternate alternate is stronger than the alternate for reasons I can elaborate on after the deadline.
Hm. So could there be an alternate alternate alternate answer, which is stronger than the alternate answer, but not quite as strong as the alternate alternate answer?
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On the board. But after reading through this thread, I am not sure which answer I came up with.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Checking back in with this contest after a year or two off. Had nothing for a day or so and then thought of the answer in the shower. :lol:

I presume I have the intended answer. Given how long it took me to come up with that one, the alternate answer (let alone the alternate alternate) might be a challenge indeed. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Solved. (What do we say here akin to "ashore"?) I too was one of the set of folks who did not possess "key" knowledge but managed to figure it out. My advice, without giving away too much I hope, is re-read Pete's thoughts on metas from his site here https://pmxwords.com/2022-metas-mega-metas/

Hope that helps!

mattyx
rjy

Post by rjy »

rjy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:21 pm And just now figured out what probably is the correct answer… 🤞he accepts both
So evidently they sent it to the review officials in New York and accepted my alternate alternate (…I think the web servers tired of my incessant page refresh requests and relented)

Will be interested to see Pete’s - and other’s - commentary on all of this
Ray
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

After solving the WSJ and MGWCC earlier than usual, i tried this one. I’m on the board, but don’t know whether I submitted the primary solution or the alternate! I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

This was 100 percent no doubter for me, curious to see this alternate answer going around 🤔
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

It's comforting to know that some solvers younger than me (i.e., just about everyone) also needed Google.
I don't listen to much current stuff. But I certainly had heard of the things that were necessary for the answer, but I imagine that a lot of people got it at first glance. If it took me this long for the obvious answer, I'm sure I'd have no chance at the alternate.
Jay
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 pm Solved. (What do we say here akin to "ashore"?)
I've tried to no avail to make "dropped a dime in the jukebox" a thing. :) The monthly-ness of this puzzle may make a solving catchphrase more difficult?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeM000 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:52 pm
mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 pm Solved. (What do we say here akin to "ashore"?)
I've tried to no avail to make "dropped a dime in the jukebox" a thing. :) The monthly-ness of this puzzle may make a solving catchphrase more difficult?
I think you're right. I like your idea. I dropped the dime this month. But I'll probably forget that by the time the next puzzle comes out.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Sheesh, I almost forgot that it was time for Pete's January puzzle. Lucky for me that I remembered, as January may be the only one I solve all year.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I was totally on Pete's wavelength this month. At noon Tuesday, I saw the title, thought of the expression, "Age is just a number," remembered all the crossword clues I've come across about Adele's albums being named for her age, and thought I bet she's the answer; I should go ahead and submit that right now.

But then, since I'm a big giant gutless coward, I didn't. Waited until I had time to actually fill in the grid and see all those ages/album titles in there.

So what is the alternate answer @Joe Ross and others came up with?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

OK, so what are the Alternate, and Alternate-Alternate?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:28 pm So what is the alternate answer @Joe Ross and others came up with?
20220111-MMM-Just_a_Number-JPR_ALTERNATE.png
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm seriously disappointed I didn't get this one. No excuse really, other than I just didn't connect the numbers to "age", despite the puzzle's title.

OK, I've thought of an excuse: I was rather distracted by having a guest puzzle on MGWCC this weekend! :-)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

That is a legit alternate answer… glad everyone got credit!