"Three-Pointers" - January 7, 2022 (MMXXII)

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

whimsy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:35 pm What's that saying -- It's not over till the fat lady sings?
Well, I think I hear someone practicing her scales....
Bunhilda, I presume?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20220107WSJCCreveal.png
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Wow. Didn't get it, but I love it.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Wow, I was way off base (oops, wrong sport!). I looked at all the 3LW, then all of the 3LW that total 3 points in Scrabble, then all of the words with 3-point letters (BCMP).
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

oof
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

That clue at 49 down had me going in all directions until I stopped looking up basketball stats. I took the puzzle with me when got in the car to visit my grandson an hour away on Saturday (my husband thought I was crazy) and lo and behold I found "three" in a diagonal. At first I thought it was going to be "alley oop" but fortunately I corrected myself.
Heidi
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

D'oh! I didn't get it. I can't tell you how many times I try to look diagonally for words and it never works out, but of course I didn't try it this time.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Nope. Never saw it. Rabbit holes I went down, thinking that the title might refer to three-letter words or three-syllable answers:

REO in OREO, STA in STAT, CHI in CHIPS, OHO in COHOSTS. Nothing.
The stressed syllables in the three-syllable answers, based on STRESS TEST. Nada.
Two-time NBA MVP? If not KARL MALONE, it could be Steve (N)ASH. "I Won't Back Down" singer? Could be TOM PETTY, Could be Johnny (C)ASH. Zippo.

Between a five-day power outage, and the puzzle, it's been a frustrating weekend.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Inca

Post by Inca »

Brilliant! I definitely "should" have gotten it....but did not. :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

By the way, lest anyone take me seriously about "Hoosier" (or for that matter, almost anything), my theory was completely made up of course. The Cruise Director's actually has more credence (though he is not from Clearwater nor does he need to be revived) but even that is speculation. If you are interested see this article, (https://blog.history.in.gov/the-word-ho ... gin-story/) or the 100 page reference work mentioned therein.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oof. I really should have seen that…but so well constructed that I just have to give due credit, take the Kas 3, and console myself with a sasparilla and Isaac’s jokes, again.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:51 pm
whimsy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:35 pm What's that saying -- It's not over till the fat lady sings?
Well, I think I hear someone practicing her scales....
Bunhilda, I presume?
Oh, Bwunhilda! You're so wovewy!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
GTIJohnny

Post by GTIJohnny »

The two THREE'S crossing in the NE quadrant "tipped" me off. The conglomeration of T's and R's looked suspect. I was on the alert immediately and solved rather quickly. I like that KARLMALONE had nothing to do with the solution...that was sly!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Hoosiers will understand why, instead of “ashore,” I wanted to post BOOM BABY! when I solved. But I was afraid it would be a spoiler.

So now I say, “BOOM BABY!”

RIP, Slick Leonard.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

It took me a bit of time to get this one. I looked down countless 3 letter rabbit holes. Eventually i started checking diagonals, and it all fell into place.

Diagonals come into play quite infrequently. I only could remember one other puzzle with a similar mechanism. I searched through the archives and found Squeeze Play from September 2019 (baseball team names were in a diamond around the center of the grid).
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

At 11:48pm, I finished drumming my pencil, took one last look at the puzzle’s title and Hail Mary’ed “lay up”.
In the morning, I plan on going into my yard, finding a blind squirrel and gifting it with an acorn.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Just enjoyed a lovely Negroni with Isaac and companions on the boat. Sadly, I did not see the THREEs in the grid, although LAYUP seemed like a good possibility (like REBOUND). BLNT!
caroline

Post by caroline »

Scott M wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:16 am Nope. Never saw it. Rabbit holes I went down, thinking that the title might refer to three-letter words or three-syllable answers:
[...]
Two-time NBA MVP? If not KARL MALONE, it could be Steve (N)ASH. "I Won't Back Down" singer? Could be TOM PETTY, Could be Johnny (C)ASH. Zippo.
YES! I was SO sure that the ASH/Nash/Cash thing was going to be significant. Wow, just wow.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

My initial rabbit holes was seeing the center word “easel” which stands on three points like a tripod, and search for sets where a letter is surrounded by three of the same letter. There were several occurrences of that in the grid, but none of them - neither the center letters nor the surrounding ones - spelt out anything meaningful. So I put it down for a bit, then later realized the threes were themselves pointers. Picking the grid up again, they all jumped out at me.