#709 - “Permutation Situation”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:21 am
FWIW, perhaps just to further add to your indecision, I considered this one a no-doubter.
That is helpful! I will keep considering what to do with this bit of stuff I have discovered.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:28 am
FWIW, perhaps just to further add to your indecision, I considered this one a no-doubter.
That is helpful! I will keep considering what to do with this bit of stuff I have discovered.
Definitely 100%
woozy

Post by woozy »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:11 am .... and at least one who did the same but got HEARTBREAK. ....
That would be me and so far as I can tell, only me. :cry:

I see what’s going on, and after laboring over it (for reasons which will be obvious to you if you know what the mechanism is), I have come up with something that could maybe be construed as a good solution, but it’s problematic and certainly not a ringer.
My mistake was a foolish one in that I dropped one of my threads. It's as if the clues all referred to animals and I found all the clever and hidden mechanisms that lead me to that the meta had black and white stripes and I figured it was therefore probably a newspaper forgetting it was animals that lead me there.

I'm mainly kicking myself because once I realized I was wrong I thought of the zebra and realized "Oh, an animal" and realized that was a certainty.

If you remember you are looking for an animal that has black and white stripes and not just a thing with black and white stripe the answer should feel good.

*SOB*
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Wow - that is as metaphorical and cryptic a post as ever I read! I ?THINK? I know what you mean??
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Can anyone who solved the PUZ file confirm that there is a solution attached? I don't want to have to dig through the myriad unique grid entries to find my one boo-boo if there's potentially nothing there to fix.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Solved, but hesitant to submit, yet must, to declare a solo solve. Going to sit on it for a while.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:11 am I see what’s going on, and after laboring over it (for reasons which will be obvious to you if you know what the mechanism is), I have come up with something that could maybe be construed as a good solution, but it’s problematic and certainly not a ringer.
Not sure what to do… I may just hold on to this and see if anything further/better hits me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
@HeadinHome, I'm right there with you. All the laboring did give me a 'result' that might yield one answer, about which I do have doubts.

@BarbaraK, you're making me think either 1) I need to find a different way to "finish" the mechanism, or 2) All my laboring isn't the appropriate path.

Back to the drawing board!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I have just submitted a different answer than my original thought, after looking again per @Woozy’s counsel. Thankful I wasn’t trigger happy this time… won’t earn me a top spot on the board but at least saves my streak… for now. (That is, assuming my SECOND, more thought-out guess proves correct.)

UPDATE: YEP, on the board at #88. Pshew.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:16 pm
@HeadinHome, I'm right there with you. All the laboring did give me a 'result' that might yield one answer, about which I do have doubts.

@BarbaraK, you're making me think either 1) I need to find a different way to "finish" the mechanism, or 2) All my laboring isn't the appropriate path.

I can assure you if you did a lot of labor that seems it will be fruitful (but is as of yet inconclusive), you are on the right path.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:28 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:16 pm

I can assure you if you did a lot of labor that seems it will be fruitful (but is as of yet inconclusive), you are on the right path.
Thanks. It does fall into the category of "This can NOT be a coincidence!"
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:14 pm Solved, but hesitant to submit, yet must, to declare a solo solve. Going to sit on it for a while.
Submitted. 🤞🏻

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:28 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:16 pm @HeadinHome, I'm right there with you. All the laboring did give me a 'result' that might yield one answer, about which I do have doubts.

Okay. Found a different way to "finish" the mechanism that also used all my labors. Much better answer than what I had before. Submitted. And crossing my fingers....
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:39 pm Submitted. 🤞🏻
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:59 pm Okay. Found a different way to "finish" the mechanism that also used all my labors. Much better answer than what I had before. Submitted. And crossing my fingers....
92. Joe Ross 01/01 - 12:35

94. HunterX 01/01 - 12:58

🥳

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:43 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:39 pm Submitted. 🤞🏻
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:59 pm Okay. Found a different way to "finish" the mechanism that also used all my labors. Much better answer than what I had before. Submitted. And crossing my fingers....
92. Joe Ross 01/01 - 12:35

94. HunterX 01/01 - 12:58

🥳
And the rest of the weekend is free! Spouse is happy. (Which is a good sign in and of itself.)
Joe

Post by Joe »

I've been reading all these posts with envy. I have nothing but vague trails that lead nowhere. The title makes me think the mechanism is one thing. The grid makes me think another. I can't make anything work.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Meg

Post by Meg »

MikeM000 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:04 pm Can anyone who solved the PUZ file confirm that there is a solution attached? I don't want to have to dig through the myriad unique grid entries to find my one boo-boo if there's potentially nothing there to fix.
The MGWCC .puz file never has a solution.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

I needed a booster but have beamed up on my first Week 5.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Looks like the "This Year" tab is fixed and now shows everyone's 2021 totals, not just a "1" for 2022.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beam me up!
Though (unless I missed something) I don’t necessarily think I would call it a 100%er.
I was very confident in my submission, but there was still some doubt until I saw my name on the board.

Great puzzle and happy new year, all! 🥂
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Woo-frickin-hoo! Thanks to "post enlightenment" I've asked to be transported. About five minutes after whining about being clueless, the clouds parted for me. As Dannyvee alluded to, I wasn't 100% sure, but once I saw the thing, it had to be.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.