#709 - “Permutation Situation”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

By jove... I think we got it. Glad we had the extra time this weekend to work on it. Just hoping that we are beamed up. Happy New Year everyone!

Editing to add... We did get this :D although I accidentally submitted as a solo :roll: . However we basically share 1 crossword mind between the 2 of us so... You all can put an asterisk on that badge.
Last edited by TeamDoubleTow on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Soooo... apparently I was wrong...
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Or maybe not. Thought the board had been refreshed but it hadn't. I'm in a New Years fog, people!

Edit: Yeah. I'm on the board now. That it's been refreshed. Because it has to be. In order to show up. :roll: I'm an idiot.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:57 pm Edit: Yeah. I'm on the board now. That it's been refreshed. Because it has to be. In order to show up. :roll: I'm an idiot.
Idiot? Not if you solved that one! That one took some work if you ask me!

They say even Einstein failed basic math in school.

(Though it's actually not true. He apparently failed a non-math part to a difficult University entrance exam. But did fine in basic math in school.)
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it!
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

I found the mechanism right away but I've been stuck for hours. Super frustrating to do all that work with nothing to show for it.
burak

Post by burak »

I have a ton of actual and supporting evidence but there is one inelegance that makes me doubt my answer. But after all that work I won't be able to go back and look for a different answer anyways so I guess it is what it is. I'll still give it a couple of hours to maybe get another click.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I think I have it; we shall see if I'm beamed up. I'd say at least Week 3.5, if not Week 4. Impressed by all those who did this so quickly! I had to chew on it a bit.

If I end up being right, not sure how I started on my path because I thought for sure this was going to be streak-ending!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Phew.
Beamed up!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally beamed up thanks to nudges. What a slog I made that out to be!
Heidi
KayW

Post by KayW »

:flying_saucer: :alien: :alien: (not 37-a)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Beamed up. Did all the work and pretty much had the answer, but needed a final nudge to make me see my answer was correct! Thanks, HunterX! Also, my first fifth Friday puzzle. I’m not so sure I liked it, but the mechanism was really ingenious.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have a defensible answer, but it looks like 7% of the submissions have been incorrect. I'm going keep staring at the grid and trying to find a confirming bit of evidence.
Jay
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:45 pm I have a defensible answer, but it looks like 7% of the submissions have been incorrect. I'm going keep staring at the grid and trying to find a confirming bit of evidence.
New to MGWCC. How can you tell % incorrect?
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:37 pm New to MGWCC. How can you tell % incorrect?
The "Overall" column shows total number of submissions (as of this writing, 194); the "This Week" column shows those who answered correctly (180). Subtract.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

In high school, each semester would bring us a new assistant gym teacher-- a college kid doing his student teaching. They were all from Slippery Rock State Teachers College, so of course that was my first guess. Despite some ingenious backsolving, I could never quite get there. (And yes, as @Abide has noted, most of my comments are spoilers. Moderators take note.)

As for the right answer, it took me a while to find the last bit of evidence to make it 100% because I had made a mistake in the grid. Even so, I managed to sneak into the top 200.
Jay
burak

Post by burak »

burak wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:34 pm I have a ton of actual and supporting evidence but there is one inelegance that makes me doubt my answer. But after all that work I won't be able to go back and look for a different answer anyways so I guess it is what it is. I'll still give it a couple of hours to maybe get another click.
OK what I thought was inelegance was kind of an oversight on my behalf, but clarifying that made me significantly less sure of my answer. I know I have the key but I cannot find the hole lol.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:54 pm
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:37 pm New to MGWCC. How can you tell % incorrect?
The "Overall" column shows total number of submissions (as of this writing, 194); the "This Week" column shows those who answered correctly (180). Subtract.
I didn't realize that the overall referred to the week. So if you didn't submit for a week, you would not show up there at all?
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:35 am
Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:54 pm
I didn't realize that the overall referred to the week. So if you didn't submit for a week, you would not show up there at all?
Not until the contest closed for that week. Then that tab becomes a cumulative total.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Wow - you people and your statistics. I am completely oblivious to all that. Is EVERYONE on this forum an actuary? 😂
The other Wendy. :roll: