#709 - “Permutation Situation”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

#709 - “Permutation Situation”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #709 — Friday, December 31st, 2021 — “Permutation Situation”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a well-known American university.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

–Matt

Join MGWCC.

Send a PM with Your UNIQUE nickname: to receive a link to each week's MGWCC Excel file.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I risked my streak! Refresh, refresh, refresh…..
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Lucky 14!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Got something. But it's *not* a 5. A three maybe. Or from what I heard a common week one mechanism. And it doesn't have the lock-cynch feel. But it *is* a legit answer.... So do I dare enter? Only been in this three weeks so I don't want to lose my winning streak but .... if 5s are tough I have to lose it some time....
Cindy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:01 pm .... Refresh, refresh, refresh…..
How often does it refresh?

.... Refresh, refresh, refresh....
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A truly masterful puzzle! Now ... do I take a nap in preparation for our midnight celebration (a giant lighted mushroom gets lowered from a crane in the middle of town) or do I stay awake long enough to see if I'm beamed up? Rhetorical question, obviously.
BEAMED UP! #31!
May the glowing mushroom bring health and happiness to all Muggles:
Attachments
20220101_000351.jpg
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
woozy

Post by woozy »

It's refreshed and.....

I'm not in it! There goes my streak.... *sob*.... I knew it didn't feel right.

EDIT: Oh! I'm SUCH an idiot... I didn't....

Oh, this hurts. This *REALLY* hurts. I'm going to be drinking my sorrows away all night.... and it's barely 2 in the afternoon on this coast.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beam me up! What a great puzzle.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’ve submitted. Hope I’m right. Nervous. Streak on the line!

UPDATE: I’m on the board!
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Beam me up! Enjoyed this one a lot - had a great a-ha moment!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up! Happy to have a week five.
He says it's the last puzzle of 2021, but the "This Year" tab is already on 2022.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Beam me up!

Happy New Year, everyone!
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Haven't even started on the WSJ weekly contest meta-puzzle yet. (Waiting for kids.) So I did the grid for #709, and have now fallen into one of the deepest rabbit holes I've ever seen. Wow! It falls into the "This can't be a coincidence" bucket as well as the "This is way too involved to be it" bucket.

I can see a smaller, perhaps more likely rabbit hole. But do I dare?
Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Time to celebrate! New Year’s eve - and I’ve just beamed up!
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

As someone who got this relatively easily, and who did not get the week 3 or 4 puzzle, I would rate this a week 3. Although I did not solve "Word for Word" last week, I thought it was an excellent puzzle. Glad to close out the year with a solve. Happy New Year everyone!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Happy New Year!! Bring on more metas!! And beam me up.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beam me up, please.

And this officially ends my last year of being obsessive about solo solving. I tried to get off the wagon with an (unsuccessful) group solve early this year but soon found myself back dreaming of solo medals and resisting collaboration and nudges. So this is my commitment device; I've said it publicly and you all may remind me if I forget:)
Katiedid wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:05 pm Beamed up! Happy to have a week five.
He says it's the last puzzle of 2021, but the "This Year" tab is already on 2022.
I believe @Alex Boisvert is the current webmaster. Perhaps he'll see this and fix it.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Beamed up. I thought I knew most of Matt's tricks, but this one seemed pretty fresh. Exceptional construction here.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:25 pm Beam me up, please.

And this officially ends my last year of being obsessive about solo solving. I tried to get off the wagon with an (unsuccessful) group solve early this year but soon found myself back dreaming of solo medals and resisting collaboration and nudges. So this is my commitment device; I've said it publicly and you all may remind me if I forget:)
Katiedid wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:05 pm Beamed up! Happy to have a week five.
I believe @Alex Boisvert is the current webmaster. Perhaps he'll see this and fix it.
@Darth, welcome Barbara to the dark side, please. 🙂
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well you people are not helping me decide whether to submit my tenuous answer or not… one or two “unsure but submitted, YES it worked” and at least one who did the same but got HEARTBREAK.
I see what’s going on, and after laboring over it (for reasons which will be obvious to you if you know what the mechanism is), I have come up with something that could maybe be construed as a good solution, but it’s problematic and certainly not a ringer.
Not sure what to do… I may just hold on to this and see if anything further/better hits me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

(If anyone’s willing to hear my thinking/guess and give me a gentle steer, that would be swell. 2022 may be the year of not obsessing… agree with @BarbaraK! )

UPDATE: submitted one. Ne’ermind.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:11 am Well you people are not helping me decide whether to submit my tenuous answer or not… one or two “unsure but submitted, YES it worked” and at least one who did the same but got HEARTBREAK.
I see what’s going on, and after laboring over it (for reasons which will be obvious to you if you know what the mechanism is), I have come up with something that could maybe be construed as a good solution, but it’s problematic and certainly not a ringer.
Not sure what to do… I may just hold on to this and see if anything further/better hits me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
FWIW, perhaps just to further add to your indecision, I considered this one a no-doubter.