#709 - “Permutation Situation”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HeadinHome wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:57 am Wow - you people and your statistics. I am completely oblivious to all that. Is EVERYONE on this forum an actuary? 😂
Actually? No.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
dsxwa

Post by dsxwa »

Hi everyone! Could any friendly solvers offer a nudge? I appreciate it!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I can hardly say I solved since it took too big nudges to (1) bring to my consciousness what I had been noticing for days (2) correct my inability to count. So the AHA was muted by my own stupidity, but at least I can now stop looking at this darn grid. Once again, I cannot believe anyone can actually make something like that without the use of alien technology or magic.
sorcerer.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
dsxwa

Post by dsxwa »

Huge thank you to the nudges, that was my first solve of a fifth week!
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

ColinM wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:10 pm I found the mechanism right away but I've been stuck for hours. Super frustrating to do all that work with nothing to show for it.
Thanks to the nudges of others, I gained confidence in my answer and submitted correctly. For whatever reason, I didn't find the solution to be very conclusive at all. Perhaps because the mechanism jumped out at me so quickly (for once), I was expecting more. Another possibility is that I am not terribly familiar with this particular "well-known American University". Hopefully there were some clues I missed that would have made me more certain. I'm looking forward to the official explanation.

A big thank you to those who reached out!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Submitted and awaiting the update. (Yay! 209.) Thanks to someone who sent me a clever trick for finding the one square I had wrong (hate it when I misspell Swedish women's names!).
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed up with a boost!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

MikeM000 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:50 pm Submitted and awaiting the update. (Yay! 209.) Thanks to someone who sent me a clever trick for finding the one square I had wrong (hate it when I misspell Swedish women's names!).
Pretty sure I had the exact same mistake 😂
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Maybe it's because I'm into my third week of vacation, but I had such a wonderful time being able to relax and find my way to the answer to this amazing puzzle.

Energize! (And I actually am energized!)
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Submitted! Board has yet to update. Took me a long time to zero in on the right method for this one.
bsravanin

Post by bsravanin »

I think I (vaguely) know the first step, but that's about it. Never solved a Week 5 before. Could a kind soul nudge me? Thank you!
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Beam me up! Thanks to a fellow muggle for verifying my solution, of which I was terribly unsure. I was convinced there must be another step to verify the answer, but I never found it.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

mgwcc-709.JPG
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

2 notes -

Joon's commenters let the cat out of the bag at the Fiend, in case this was open until 3pm.

If I was doing this for the WSJ this week, I would not have been able to use the red bold/italic gimmick for the puzzle title. :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:16 pm 2 notes -

Joon's commenters let the cat out of the bag at the Fiend, in case this was open until 3pm.

If I was doing this for the WSJ this week, I would not have been able to use the red bold/italic gimmick for the puzzle title. :)
Matt hadn't mentioned an extension & closed down submissions at noon, ET.

Meta entry for puzzle # 709
dated: Friday, December 31
Sorry, submissions are now closed.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

As I was filling out my list of permutations, I put BLACKFOOTSIOUX in the otsi slot. Then when I got to POTSIE, I briefly wondered what was up before realizing BLACKFOOTSIOUX could (and should) also be the tsio
19C08C49-7177-4CE4-BB1B-AC03A2122BCF.jpeg
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I did not, but I wonder if any other Michiganians sent in "That School Down South" for their answer.
mindle

Post by mindle »

Cool puzzle. I got to I-O-S-T, and thought of OHIO STATE, but it seemed like too much of a leap since I couldn't find anything in the grid to support it. Oh well! I'm honing my meta skills, and will be ready for the next week 5 puzzle in April!
Thank you ColinM for the nudges!
boharr

Post by boharr »

So no math wonder boy here, I spent the first half hour googling and trying to determine how many permutations were possible with the four letters. Factorials, huh? Then my daughter showed me I could solve that problem with one click on my phone's calculator. Who knew?

Then I spent the next year in Excel tediously recoding each permutation I found. When I got to 23, I knew I was almost there.

As for that daughter showing an interest, I gave her an easy-ish Gaffney WSJ -- Seeking Answers. She did use me as her personal Google for a couple of grid answers, but got the meta right away. And then asked if there were any harder metas. Watch out you Page One denizens. It seems there might be a new kid in town.
MMe

Post by MMe »

Damn.

[image redacted - giving a Trojan Horse warning to malware protection]