"A Year to Watch" - December 31, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Maybe Matt meant shows that have enough episodes for a“binge watch”? I too saw “Mash” and was off to the races.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
boharr

Post by boharr »

Nlobb wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:26 am The only shows I had ever heard of were MASH and I spy. I had to google other possibilities and finally came up with several shows some of which were right and other shows like Path and Net were not. I realize now that if I had clued in on the fact that there was just one letter to the left of the TV show I could have googled the shows more efficiently but I don’t really enjoy having to look up so many things to get an answer!!!
Happy new year to all!!
My Google bill skyrocketed.
Ronaldo

Post by Ronaldo »

I whiffed badly on this one. I found the TV shows Arrow, Wings, I spy, Mash, Amen and Weeds. Missed Alf. Instead of using the missing letters, I used the first letters of the shows: AWIMAW. The rabbit hole I never escaped from was AWIMAWE, the chorus of the song The Lion Sleeps Tonight. I was looking for TV show that had to do with The Lion King, but to no avail. There's always next week.
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

I got it, but honestly I'd never heard of the TV show ARROW. It just became obvious enough once I had the rest of it figured out.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

"A year to Watch"... Watch what? 75A says 2022 means TV. So a year to watch TV, hence look for TV shows.

There was a show on UPN named "Half & Half". Talk about throwing a wrench into the mix. Also, "SNL" was an answer and a TV show. Not to mention the TV shows in the clues (Family Ties).

When the meta is described as an N-letter word/phase, I don't necessarily look for an extra connection to the title. And last week, we were told to look for a word related to Christmas. And I didn't see a connection between "CAROLS" and "Now That's a Gift".

Oh... It's ALAN Alda from M*A*S*H. Tim ALLEN is from Home Improvement. And Tim Daly is from WINGS. Yet another rabbit hole to have chased.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

This puzzle probably has the record for most rabbit holes I've been down. I started out with TV show from each decade and thought I needed one from the 2020s. Then I thought there was letter to number code going on due to 75A. Maybe I need to take half of something? I asked my non-crossword boyfriend to take a look and he was convinced that Friends was the answer because of HALF AND HALF since they hang out at a coffee shop. I told him there's probably more to it than that but I would submit as my Hail Mary if I couldn't figure it out. I never did make the connection with the half, but I finally noticed the letters before the TV show in each answer spelled out NEWHART so I got it just in time.
David R

Post by David R »

I find it fascinating how few people on here know TV shows. Other then AMEN all of the others came to me pretty quickly, once I saw MASH which was as big an opening that you can be given to the direction of the meta. The other parts of the meta mechanism have legitimate complaints and was more convoluted then needed.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:07 am Lots of times, only one word in the title is a pointer to the solution. After solving, I assumed that "watch" just meant "watch TV" since the meta prompt asked for a TV show.
I agree with Cynthia's initial progression:
  • Title: A YEAR TO WATCH
  • Watch what? 75A TV ___ (what 2022 might be considered, since those are the 20th and 22nd letters)
So, we're WATCHing TV, which also matches the Meta Clue, ...a seven-letter TV show title.

Where do we find the 7 letters?
  • 37A+38A+40A - HALF AND HALF - coffee lightener (you just need a little of it, in real life and for this contest answer)

So, we're looking in halves of 7 clues or grid entries.
  • The typical longest across entries give us 6 Theme Entries composed of two words each.
  • It's reasonable to look at the center entries, HALF AND HALF, as the 7th Theme Entry.
  • Look at the words in both halves of the Theme Entries. Find seven TV show titles.
  • The halves' extra letters give NEWHART, in clue order.

I also agree with 2 more things raised by muggles:
  • NEWHART doesn't seem to tie in to the title, except that it's something (a TV show) to watch in a given year, but not this past nor current year necessarily.
  • The numbers referenced in 75A seem superfulous & possibly intended for another, unsued mechanism? Matt doesn't create red herrings intentionally.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Toby

Post by Toby »

After using Google to confirm the TV shows I hadn't heard of, I followed most of the red herrings described above until a solver gave me the hint to just write down all the theme answer in order on paper. Then one more red herring (AWIMAWE? Chorus from the Lion Sleeps Tonight?) before realizing I should copy down the full theme while lining up the shows. I'm still puzzled by the title, but maybe it refers to the fact that all of the shows ran for multiple years. I hope not too late to wish everyone a Happy New Year.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

There were a number of shows/actors referenced in clues, but that didn't go anywhere. Fortunately, MASH jumped out at me (loved that show--even requested off at work so I could watch the finale). Recognized WINGS and had to google the rest. Never caught on to ALF, so I was looking at NEW ART and going HUH? Husband said maybe you take just a smidgen of HALF AND HALF (i.e. the H) and put that between the two halves of the answer to make NEWHART (another great finale).
pookie

Post by pookie »

Ronaldo wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:03 am AWIMAW. The rabbit hole I never escaped from was AWIMAWE, the chorus of the song The Lion Sleeps Tonight.
LAUGHED OUT LOUD! Too funny!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

My husband actually helped me with *this* puzzle because I didn’t know ARROW and WEEDS were TV shows. I also forgot that ISPY was a TV show, as I always associate that with the kids game. I saw MASH and WINGS right away, but it didn’t click until I actively tried to think of TV shows and MASH was the first to come to mind.

My first rabbit hole was generated by TV TIME. Agree that it seems to be a red herring and maybe Matt didn’t mean for us to give it that much weight, as he was just pointing out that T and V are 20 and 22 as an interesting fact. The half and half clue threw me for a loop at first, also. I folded my grid in half à la Mad Magazine, looking for a hidden message to appear.
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

I noticed that there were TV series that started in every decade from 70's forward. So obviously the answer is the seven letter TV series known as DECADES. Whoops. I was on the wrong beach.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Similar to last week: My TV show this week is "Lost in Space."

I spied "I Spy" but never made the connection. And how could I not have seen "M*A*S*H"? Maybe because it didn't have the asterisks? "Weeds" and "Amen": Never heard of either of 'em. "Arrow" is only vaguely familiar. "Wings" was a favorite, though.

Sweet potato. Can you tell the difference between this and pumpkin?

TFTXWD anyway. And Happy New Year to everyone.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I may have missed this rabbit hole already being mentioned, but I thought the M and I in 75A were referring to Roman numerals. TV shows used to have the year “spelled” out at the end - MCMLXXXVI, so it seemed like it might be a fit. I started looking for some way to make the ends of the show’s debut years spell something. Closest I got was a show called CIVIC TV, but it seemed too obscure and there were just too many Is. When I gave up on that approach I finally found NEWHART.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is NEWHART. Remove one letter from one word of each theme answer to get a TV show: (N)ARROW, (E)WINGS, (W)I SPY, (H)ALF, (A)MASH, (R)AMEN and (T)WEEDS. The removed letters spell the contest answer.

Happy new year to all! And happy Newhart to quite a lot of you. We had 1328 entries, about 87% correct. A big turnout for FRIENDS (48) -- possibly because you could spell it with one letter from each of the hidden TV shows? Also DRAGNET (6), FIREFLY (5), THE PATH (5), THE WIRE (4) and a handful of others.

Congrats to the first winner of 2022, George Spinner of Chicago, Ill.!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Sometimes I feel like I should wear a dunce cap.

Thanks to Mike Miller, I finally get it: taking out the letters for NEWHART leaves the titles of other TV shows in the theme answers. Unfortunately, MASH is the only one I've heard of, so none of this "clicked" in my mind even when I saw the solution. I just sat there wondering, "Yeah, ok, but how would you know to pick THOSE particular letters?" Proof, if it were still needed, that the Gaffney Guild are both better informed and more clever than I am.

As Red Sox fans used to say before 2004, "Wait'll next year!"
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

femullen wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:12 pm Sometimes I feel like I should wear a dunce cap.

Thanks to Mike Miller, I finally get it: taking out the letters for NEWHART leaves the titles of other TV shows in the theme answers. Unfortunately, MASH is the only one I've heard of, so none of this "clicked" in my mind even when I saw the solution. I just sat there wondering, "Yeah, ok, but how would you know to pick THOSE particular letters?" Proof, if it were still needed, that the Gaffney Guild are both better informed and more clever than I am.

I agree! Mike Miller gave a great explanation for the mechanism… it makes sense now!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ergcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:00 pm
femullen wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:12 pm Sometimes I feel like I should wear a dunce cap.

I agree! Mike Miller gave a great explanation for the mechanism… it makes sense now!
Mike Miller copied that explanation from WSJ's published solution.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Is it Mike Miller the WSJ senior editor whose domain includes the crosswords?