"A Year to Watch" - December 31, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Have accepted ending the year on a defeat. Isaac, the wine list please!
Elizabeyth

Post by Elizabeyth »

Ashore with a nudge, definitely got sidetracked by red herrings! Now for wine and settling in for my area's first winter storm tonight.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Onshore….(I think). I submitted the name of a show and I’m confident with my answer, but I don’t think I have the entire mechanism. Now I’ll go back to staring at MGWCC.
LivinaDogsLife

Post by LivinaDogsLife »

Ashore.

Same as above. I believe I have it but not sure why.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore after too many nudges to allow me to submit my answer. Should have figured it out on my own,... especially since I love the show. Happy New Year to all!
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I made it to the beach, with just under 6 hours to spare. I'll have another sazerac!

Happy New Year to this great community.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Took me a bit, but I made it to the beach.
cheryl w

Post by cheryl w »

On shore with a joint effort with my husband. About 30 minutes ago I was going to post that I was giving up. Funny how you can see something new after looking at the puzzle for days.

Happy 2022 everyone!!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Still stuck on the ship! I thought I had found part of the mechanism, but just can't seem to make it work. I really haven't devoted much time to the meta this weekend because I chose to enjoy my granddaughter's company instead. What an imagination she has!

Happy New Year, everyone!
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:03 pm Still stuck on the ship! I thought I had found part of the mechanism, but just can't seem to make it work. I really haven't devoted much time to the meta this weekend because I chose to enjoy my granddaughter's company instead. What an imagination she has!

Happy New Year, everyone!
Sara
Enjoy your granddaughter while she is young. We will always have metas.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Welcome to our newest muggle - Elizabeyth - as always it is great to increase our clan

We have 12 muggles on the ship and 160 on the shore

Joining Isaac for the week are hunkra, Hidden In 3D and Elizabeyth

And getting to shore one way or another are

Jean
LittleGood
Jeremy
Thurman8er
Lyman
Powers2020
bread-girl
Puzzle mom
rosiegirl
turbotron
daodalgisa
LivinaDogsLife
cheryl w
ship4u
haydendog
BreeZynCO
drbockel2

have a good week and we will see you either at the Tuesday zoom call or next Thursday at 4 pm (or so).
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

WOW ... back after a long period of computer issues. Strange -- but all worked out now. Just in time to ARRIVE AT THE BEACH! Drinks are on me for a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Carndog33

Post by Carndog33 »

ugghhh...i have a reasonable guess at it but no "ah hah" moment...I will submit it and hope.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Finally on the beach. I had thrown in the towel after several attempts, and then thought of one last thing to try which worked! Celebrating with a Boulevard Sugarwood Baklava.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Got it! Phew!
I am a man of few...
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Took one last shot and I think I have it. Happy New Year, all!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:36 pm
ADS wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:05 pm I think I am ashore. Found this one very unsatisfying. I hope I am right.
I do not count my Gaffneys until they hatch but I know what you mean - even after solving with a mechanism that makes perfect sense, I told myself that those red herrings on the grid had to serve a higher purpose, but to no avail. Who knows, it could be crow pound cake that is awaiting for us on Monday morning for breakfast instead of DrTom's pound cake.
Gosh I hope not, crows are notoriously hard to cream together with the sugar and bitter to make a cake, but the do make a ice magpie....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Colin

Post by Colin »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:03 pm
Flying_Burrito wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:36 pm
ADS wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:05 pm I think I am ashore. Found this one very unsatisfying. I hope I am right.
I do not count my Gaffneys until they hatch but I know what you mean - even after solving with a mechanism that makes perfect sense, I told myself that those red herrings on the grid had to serve a higher purpose, but to no avail. Who knows, it could be crow pound cake that is awaiting for us on Monday morning for breakfast instead of DrTom's pound cake.
Gosh I hope not, crows are notoriously hard to cream together with the sugar and bitter to make a cake, but the do make a ice magpie....
Please sparrow little pie for me!
One world. One planet. One future.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm just on shore at this late hour, but only just filled the grid this evening. Fairly satisfied with the answer and process.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Sliding in under the wire..... going the bar didn't close early