#708 - “Word for Word”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it. Liked this one a lot.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Anyone interested in sharing a nudge? We haven't really seen much and would like to solve our first. Although maybe we can wait until January's.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

lbray53 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:31 pm
cisalope wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:41 pm On the board. PM me if you need a nudge, and I'd be happy to help. Let me know what you've noticed so far!
I got a perfect nudge. While answering back that I needed more, there it was in my message. Fantastic nudge. Fantastic puzzle. One of my favorites actually.

It seems like there should be a finite number of meta mechanisms. But, similar to the huge number of songs created from an eight note scale, that number might be very large.
Ditto all that.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:26 am Anyone interested in sharing a nudge? We haven't really seen much and would like to solve our first. Although maybe we can wait until January's.
Thanks to the kindness of several members... Including an Express shuttle, we have now solved. Thanks so much. Never would have gotten this. We were definitely stuck in the wrong rabbit hole.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:59 pm
HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:57 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:45 pm

I was going to respond with her line, but I didn't know if even the most ardent Python fans remember/heard it... apparently you guys did. Seek help immediately.
Well, when you've seen it [REDACTED] times, you remember details like that. As for seeking help, that's probably a good suggestion. I'll go to the nearest Argument Clinic for a session or two.
"Contradiction's not an argument!"
I’m sorry, this is abuse.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Thanks to cisalope for a tiny nudge, I have beamed up. I had found what I needed, but cisalope's advice got me unstuck.
boharr

Post by boharr »

With help, I beamed up.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

:( Well shucky darn, apparently one had to solve on the 27th to get the Holly Jolly badge. Guess I have to try again next year :(
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
bigtuna

Post by bigtuna »

I’m wondering best way to download matt’s puzzles onto my iPhone? (I’m traveling and can’t print off). Thanks for any help!!!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

bigtuna wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:47 pm I’m wondering best way to download matt’s puzzles onto my iPhone? (I’m traveling and can’t print off). Thanks for any help!!!
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/across-lite-crosswords/id480513184
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:16 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:11 pm I've officially stopped wondering how Mike and Matt do this consistently. I know there is no logical explanation, they therefore must be wizards - now if I can just avoid being turned into a newt.....
I agree they must be wizards. And no, you don't want to be turned into a newt. Though, at this time of year, you could drink a martini, complain about Christmas celebrations, and then you'd be Newt Gin-Grinch.
Gee with all the sitting around I've been doing I was afraid I'd turn into a Lounge Lizard (either the person or the drink)
lounge.jpg
I do luckily weight a bit more than a duck (or even a dock) and therefore would be safe from being branded a witch or warlock (though I must say about day 2 of beating my head against the meta wall I may become warlike)

"It's a fair cop!" is a great line (they have even made a rather tacky BBC Radio show named that. But for the gold star with the maple leaf cluster - who plays the witch and what relation does she have to Lancelot/Black Knight?

And finally a question for LadyBird - What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (you have to know these things when you are the Queen...) [if not a Python fan this will likely fly right by you!]
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:02 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:11 pm I've officially stopped wondering how Mike and Matt do this consistently. I know there is no logical explanation, they therefore must be wizards - now if I can just avoid being turned into a newt.....
I agree they must be wizards. And no, you don't want to be turned into a newt. Though, at this time of year, you could drink a martini, complain about Christmas celebrations, and then you'd be Newt Gin-Grinch.
Gee with all the sitting around I've been doing I was afraid I'd turn into a Lounge Lizard (either the person or the drink)

lounge.jpg

I do luckily weight a bit more than a duck (or even a dock) and therefore would be safe from being branded a witch or warlock (though I must say about day 2 of beating my head against the meta wall I may become warlike)

"It's a fair cop!" is a great line (they have even made a rather tacky BBC Radio show named that. But for the gold star with the maple leaf cluster - who plays the witch and what relation does she have to Lancelot/Black Knight?

And finally a question for LadyBird - What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? (you have to know these things when you are the Queen...) [if not a Python fan this will likely fly right by you!]
Swallows fly between 30 and 40 mph depending how fast they want to get away from your puns.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

"It's a fair cop" is used frequently in the Flying Circus skits. I presumed it was a common British phrase.

The witch, Connie Booth, who also appeared in Flying Circus skits and was a central character in Fawlty Towers, was John Cleese's wife for a number of years. (Frankly, she should probably have been credited as one of the Monty Pythons, though I don't know whether she participated in any of the writing.)

(@LadyBird - Hint: Ask @DrTom whether he means European or African.)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
spotter

Post by spotter »

I’m ready for a nudge if anyone could be so kind. Nothing I’m trying is getting me anywhere.

Edit. Okay don’t need anymore nudges. Thanks for responding :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

bigtuna wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:47 pm I’m wondering best way to download matt’s puzzles onto my iPhone? (I’m traveling and can’t print off). Thanks for any help!!!
I use Puzzazz. It's free and works fine for me.

I believe Across is only available for iPads, not iPhones
spotter

Post by spotter »

And I’m beamed up now! I was thinking the right way but missing the execution.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:09 pm

lounge.jpg

Swallows fly between 30 and 40 mph depending how fast they want to get away from your puns.
African or European swallow? Careful, you'll end up off the bridge!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:13 pm

"It's a fair cop" is used frequently in the Flying Circus skits. I presumed it was a common British phrase.

The witch, Connie Booth, who also appeared in Flying Circus skits and was a central character in Fawlty Towers, was John Cleese's wife for a number of years. (Frankly, she should probably have been credited as one of the Monty Pythons, though I don't know whether she participated in any of the writing.)

(@LadyBird - Hint: Ask @DrTom whether he means European or African.)
Heck if he'd have used all of his wives he wouldn't have needed the rest of the Pythons! I believe he had 4. (not 3, and not 5, you should count all the way up to 4, bypassing 3 and not continuing to 5, do not stop at 2 neither shall you stop at one unless you then continue to 2 and subsequently 3 on your way to 4... This has been brought to you be the Department of Redundancy Department and anyone wishing to argue it should come up with "a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition".
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Kicking myself for needing a nudge. Matt has used one part of this mechanism before, and I even thought of it, but then dismissed the idea. In other respects, this meta seemed more like a Mike.
Jay