#708 - “Word for Word”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
TMart

Post by TMart »

Spent the last two days in a deep rabbit hole that I thought was promising...until I realized that I misspelled something.

Oh, well, not this Christmas ....and then gave it one last look and boom, there it was.

Beam me up with a Christmas badge!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Well worth the wait.

I'm so glad we are treated to these puzzles each week...and by someone who puts family first. This group gives me hope for 2022.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

cisalope wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:41 pm On the board. PM me if you need a nudge, and I'd be happy to help. Let me know what you've noticed so far!
I got a perfect nudge. While answering back that I needed more, there it was in my message. Fantastic nudge. Fantastic puzzle. One of my favorites actually.

It seems like there should be a finite number of meta mechanisms. But, similar to the huge number of songs created from an eight note scale, that number might be very large.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
burghman

Post by burghman »

cisalope wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:41 pm On the board. PM me if you need a nudge, and I'd be happy to help. Let me know what you've noticed so far!
Took cisalope up on the offer and I’m fairly certain I’ll be on the board at the next refresh, and hopefully have claimed my Christmas badge. Thanks for the nudge, and happy to pay it forward.
Last edited by burghman on Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you see that I’ve completed the MGWCC meta, feel free to DM me and I’ll help you out - nudges, confirmations of paths, etc.
ricky

Post by ricky »

On board by Sunday PM after an hour or two of pondering, a welcome change from last week, which I found very, very frustrating.

It is pretty remarkable that MG can say "the puzzle I was constructing came out too difficult, give me a day or two and I'll have something more appropriate" and 36 hours later he sends out a puzzle (with an odd grid and some odd fill, granted) that is both the desired difficulty level and uses a mechanism as creative as this one.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Nice one Matt!
Beamed up at #76 with a helpful nudge. It was a rough trip up through this ragged pannus cloud.
177D8CB3-D108-4E5E-993E-D23028C84C44.jpeg
Via the Cloud Appreciation Society
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

All I can say is OMG - I had several nudges, none of which helped as I panicked my way around trying to get what seemed like the impossible. Then, similar to lbray53, as I was going back to the well I saw the bucket and the rope I needed.

I've officially stopped wondering how Mike and Matt do this consistently. I know there is no logical explanation, they therefore must be wizards - now if I can just avoid being turned into a newt.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:11 pm I've officially stopped wondering how Mike and Matt do this consistently. I know there is no logical explanation, they therefore must be wizards - now if I can just avoid being turned into a newt.....
I agree they must be wizards. And no, you don't want to be turned into a newt. Though, at this time of year, you could drink a martini, complain about Christmas celebrations, and then you'd be Newt Gin-Grinch.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:16 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:11 pm I've officially stopped wondering how Mike and Matt do this consistently. I know there is no logical explanation, they therefore must be wizards - now if I can just avoid being turned into a newt.....
I agree they must be wizards. And no, you don't want to be turned into a newt. Though, at this time of year, you could drink a martini, complain about Christmas celebrations, and then you'd be Newt Gin-Grinch.
Well... You'll GET better...
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:50 pm
HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:16 pm
Well... You'll GET better...
But does he weigh as much as a duck?

Always appreciate a good Monty Python reference.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:07 pm But does he weigh as much as a duck?

The scale's chocks are knocked clear, proving she weighs as much as a duck and, therefore, is a witch. Then she delivers one of my favorite lines of this rich script:

"It's a fair cop." 😆

You can't argue with everyone screaming, "SCIENCE!" 🙂

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:59 pm

The scale's chocks are knocked clear, proving she weighs as much as a duck and, therefore, is a witch. Then she delivers one of my favorite lines of this rich script:

"It's a fair cop." 😆

And her line is quiet and subtle, easy to miss. But it is the perfect punchline to that scene.
woozy

Post by woozy »

The must frustrating nudges are the ones where you say "but I tried that and it didn't go anywhere then" but... sometimes that is how the nudges must be.

I got it with one of those nudges.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:20 pm

"It's a fair cop." 😆

And her line is quiet and subtle, easy to miss. But it is the perfect punchline to that scene.
I was going to respond with her line, but I didn't know if even the most ardent Python fans remember/heard it... apparently you guys did. Seek help immediately.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:45 pm
"It's a fair cop." 😆
I was going to respond with her line, but I didn't know if even the most ardent Python fans remember/heard it... apparently you guys did. Seek help immediately.
Well, when you've seen it [REDACTED] times, you remember details like that. As for seeking help, that's probably a good suggestion. I'll go to the nearest Argument Clinic for a session or two.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HunterX wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:57 pm

Well, when you've seen it [REDACTED] times, you remember details like that. As for seeking help, that's probably a good suggestion. I'll go to the nearest Argument Clinic for a session or two.
"Contradiction's not an argument!"
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:59 pm

"I don't argue. I explain."
  • Dowager Countess Grantham

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:04 pm

"I don't argue. I explain."
  • Dowager Countess Grantham
Ah, Maggie... she's another one. Humor doesn't always have to be a pie in the face.
boharr

Post by boharr »

After much help I have submitted….and have beamed up.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

"It can be."